Need some advice

LDH

My wife and I have been coming to SB since 1986 but this year I will be alone as she recently passed away. I’m pretty familiar with most of the restaurants but could use some advice/suggestions as to where you think I should dine being alone. Sitting at a table in the middle of the room just doesn’t do it for me. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Larry H

My wife and I have been coming to SB since 1986 but this year I will be alone as she recently passed away. I’m pretty familiar with most of the restaurants but could use some advice/suggestions as to where you think I should dine being alone. Sitting at a table in the middle of the room just doesn’t do it for me. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Larry H

Hi Larry,

So sad and sorry to hear of the passing of your wife. A personal journey to return to the island on your own, for sure.

My guess is that Dennis C. (and others) will have suggestions, including dining/bar seating, if that holds any appeal for you. In the meantime though, if you think you may want some dining company, maybe let the group know when you might be there, and people can maybe reach out to you, or you to them, by private message? You may be interested. You may not be. It's your journey to navigate as you will.

Again, Larry, my sincerest condolences.

Deborah

Hi Larry,

So sad and sorry to hear of the passing of your wife. A personal journey to return to the island on your own, for sure.

My guess is that Dennis C. (and others) will have suggestions, including dining/bar seating, if that holds any appeal for you. In the meantime though, if you think you may want some dining company, maybe let the group know when you might be there, and people can maybe reach out to you, or you to them, by private message? You may be interested. You may not be. It's your journey to navigate as you will.

Again, Larry, my sincerest condolences.

Deborah

Great advice, Deborah! I'm sure that anyone in the SBH Online community would be very happy to join Larry in dining together.

With respect to Larry's question, because I frequently dine alone at dinner (taking my iPad to catch-up on & respond to messages that I've ignored during the day!), I can attest to comfortable seating for one person in many restaurants -- among those where I frequently sit inconspicuously for dinner are L'Esprit, Eddy's, Zion (the "Chef's Table"), Santa Fe, Pearl Beach, and Le Repaire. You'll have no difficulty, Larry, in finding agreeable seating.

Larry, our heartfelt condolences to you; so very sorry for your loss.

My only suggestion would be when calling the restaurant you’re wanting to dine at for a reservation (since you’re familiar with most of the restaurants), ask them for a quiet table that’s not front and center in the middle of the action. I also agree with Deborah’s suggestion, IF you think you’d like some company at dinner, to let us know.

Once again, so sorry for your loss. Wishing you peace.

Gayle

Larry my heart goes out to you and your family. We have been traveling to our favorite Island since 1987. Often, when dining, we have engaged with singles sitting next to us. There are times that the engagement continues others we understand that they wish to be left alone. I agree with all the suggestions above. I would also seek out all the great bars. All my best

Thank you all for your suggestions and your kindness! I love the idea of joining one or more of you for a drink or a meal. What’s the best way to make that happen? My SB dates are 2/9-2/23.
larry

We haven’t been to our fave island (first EarMa and now this “vaccine” business) in a while, but our dining preference is almost invariably at the bar. L’Isola bar is fabulous. Le Piment bar fun and tasty too. I believe L’Atelier downstairs has bar dining too. Maybe La Guérite has bar dining? Not sure?

I too asked the same question on this forum 2 years ago when I came to St Barths on my own for 2 weeks before my daughters joined me. What I found out is not a lot of places on SBH have a typical bar where you can dine comfortably like at home. So, I set out on my first night filled with anxiety and my kindle. In 2 weeks of dining alone I mostly sat at tables and almost all nights had lovely conversations with my neighbors. The 2 times I sat at a bar (Orega & Bonito) I was the only one there. When I return to the island late this February again for 2 weeks solo before my daughters arrive I will not have the angst I did before. I hope you will try it (on your own or with some of the forum members). Enjoy!

Thank you all for your suggestions and your kindness! I love the idea of joining one or more of you for a drink or a meal. What’s the best way to make that happen? My SB dates are 2/9-2/23.
larry

We’ll overlap, Larry . . . let’s PM & find a time to meet.

Larry, my condolences on the loss of your wife. Glad you reached out to those of us on the forum for suggestions for dining. Tho I haven't walked in your shoes, or flip flops, I applaud your bravery in venturing back. Just go anywhere, you will be welcomed as you have been so far with these postings !

Larry, I am so sorry for your loss. My husband passed away several years ago. We had visited the island for years. I was anxious about returning alone. I stayed at the late, great Normandie and was treated with the gentleness and encouragement offered you in the above comments. (Dennis, Eula was an angel.). Never was I uncomfortable dining alone, and I went everywhere, usually early. I met several Forum friends, who were wonderful. Amy and Phil were already longtime friends, and welcomed me like family. I chartered a Jicky Marine catamaran and had a lovely day at Colombier. The young crew were perplexed as to why I was alone. I explained. They conferred and asked if they might offer me something special. Well, sure. They opened a bottle of Veuve Cliquot, for the widow, and left me to remember and cherish my beautiful memories of time there with my sweetheart and young daughters. I wish you as healing and poignant a trip as mine.

Larry, I am so sorry for your loss. My husband passed away several years ago. We had visited the island for years. I was anxious about returning alone. I stayed at the late, great Normandie and was treated with the gentleness and encouragement offered you in the above comments. (Dennis, Eula was an angel.). Never was I uncomfortable dining alone, and I went everywhere, usually early. I met several Forum friends, who were wonderful. Amy and Phil were already longtime friends, and welcomed me like family. I chartered a Jicky Marine catamaran and had a lovely day at Colombier. The young crew were perplexed as to why I was alone. I explained. They conferred and asked if they might offer me something special. Well, sure. They opened a bottle of Veuve Cliquot, for the widow, and left me to remember and cherish my beautiful memories of time there with my sweetheart and young daughters. I wish you as healing and poignant a trip as mine.

Rosemary . . . so tender of you to share this poignant story, & I very well remember your visit to the The Normandie. After you left, Eula wrote to me — which she rarely did about guests. Thus, it stands out for me.

Also a spiritual soul, Eula bonded with you completely! “Transcendent” was the image she had in your meeting. I recall thinking at the time that the intimate character of the Hotel was meant to nurture guests, & I appreciate reading that we were able to do so for you.

Your advice, & the memory expressed to Larry, are beautiful & “spot on!”

My condolences for your loss Larry. I think coming back is a beautiful way to honor your love and all the memories you created while staying on Barth’s. Definitely reach out to the forum as stated above. One not mentioned is Fouquet in the Carl Gustaf, it’s intimate seating along the railing facing the harbor is perfect for sunset dining. Wishing you peace.

Larry, condolences from here too. I second the recommendations for Bonito and Le Repaire. Enjoy your trip!
Best,
Tim