BROOK LACOUR: FAREWELL TO A LEGEND OF SAINT-BARTH

JEK

Senior Insider
B80ABA46-1B9D-482B-8B05-33910040F322.jpeg

Sad news.

My wife Didi’s parents met Brook and Roger in the late 70s, and brought property and built a small house in Lurin with their help. When her parents passed away in the 80s Didi became the family landlord, until selling the property in 2005, again with Brook’s assistance.

I realized a few years ago that Brook truly ruled St. Bart’s when, on Easter Sunday, the duty priest at the Anglican Church missed his flight from SXM and Brook presided at the service.

RIP Brook.

Dennis, I have a copy of Case et Cuisine, but I must admit that I haven't read it in years.

Thanks for sharing this memory from Brook. It alone is a tribute to the memories of a great lady.

In many ways it also echoes my own memories from my early days on St Barth.

Dennis, I have a copy of Case et Cuisine, but I must admit that I haven't read it in years.

Thanks for sharing this memory from Brook. It alone is a tribute to the memories of a great lady.

In many ways it also echoes my own memories from my early days on St Barth.

Thank you, Kevin . . . I know that it's a book that owners don't often pull off the shelf -- maybe, in part, because the memories in it are so foreign to what the island has become. It's, however, truly a pictorial / historical account of 25 years of innocence on SBH -- 1978 to 2003. A period that is largely lost in what we see today.

One part of Brook's essay particularly says so much about her . . . her life on SBH . . . and what the island was: "We lived in a Case for several years . . . a small St. Barths case with no hot water. On the beautiful beach of St. Jean." (The case, by the way, was approximately where Nikki Beach is today/)

Brook's note particularly resonates for me because as arrangements were being made with her for the first visit of Wendy and me to St. Barths, I asked, "Is there anything that we can bring to you from the US?" She responded, "Oh no! Everything we want is right here." A cold water case on the beach was contentment.

Thank you, Kevin . . . I know that it's a book that owners don't often pull off the shelf -- maybe, in part, because the memories in it are so foreign to what the island has become. It's, however, truly a pictorial / historical account of 25 years of innocence on SBH -- 1978 to 2003. A period that is largely lost in what we see today.

One part of Brook's essay particularly says so much about her . . . her life on SBH . . . and what the island was: "We lived in a Case for several years . . . a small St. Barths case with no hot water. On the beautiful beach of St. Jean." (The case, by the way, was approximately where Nikki Beach is today/)

Brook's note particularly resonates for me because as arrangements were being made with her for the first visit of Wendy and me to St. Barths, I asked, "Is there anything that we can bring to you from the US?" She responded, "Oh no! Everything we want is right here." A cold water case on the beach was contentment.
I didn’t realize that essay was in my copy of Case e Cusine either. Nicely done tho.

Dennis thank you for sharing your knowledge of island history and the people who helped make St Barths so special for most of us.

I watched the livestream of the service yesterday, it was lovely. The essay in Case et Cuisine brings up memories of days gone by. Brook refers to Doone Beal visiting St Barth while researching an article for Gourmet Magazine. I spent my career in the test kitchen at Gourmet starting in the 80s and recall Doone's travel pieces. The article appeared in the March 1987 issue and was on both St Barth and St Eustatius. Sadly I don't have issues from the 80s--they were left long ago in a nyc apartment. We all thought Gourmet would live forever so I naively believed I would always have access to its archives. I have reached out to colleagues to see if anyone has that issue as I'd love to read the article. I do however have the November 2008 issue with a more recent St Barth piece written by Carl Hiaasen. It's worth a read, some funny (and true) lines. I would try to post it but not sure I know how ; )