MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH LIVING by Mark Greenside

amyb

Senior Insider
If you enjoy laughing…like when you read a Dave Barry piece, I mean giggling and laughing out loud, this is a book for you. I thank Kimberly from Nantucket, for touting it to me. The adventures of an American who buys a house in Brittany. His escapades from landing at France’s Charles de Gaulle and renting a car and driving to his house hysterical. His first car accident, his first ticket, his first encounter with a roundabout, a Marche, a neighbor…all had me cackling.

Am now going to read his first book I’LL NEVER BE FRENCH, about his time before he bought the house.

A happy reading experience. No guilt. No remorse. No self criticism..just a fun ride.

I can relate because I am connected to this special chunk of 🇫🇷 France while living in the Caribbean on a chunk of land called St Barths.

Will have to read these, thanks Amy via Kimberly ! Probably like 'Don't Stop the Carnival' by Wouk years ago which I lived while working on St Croix in the late '60's.

Looked at the trailer on u..tube. Yes,somewhat. This book is not really a romance, more of a how to or how not to I would say. It is truly delightful and fun.

PeterLynn, I learned of the prequel after mentioning the second. I do recommend to Read them in order if possible. I am enjoying the first visit to Brittany now. Charming. Like a Mr Blandings builds his dream house or Money Pit but set in a little village in France.

Similar to Peter Mayle?

I am so thrilled you enjoyed this book Amy! I just finished his first installment and while not nearly as humorous, it was still a fun read. There are some similarities to Peter Mayle who the author does mention. I am working my way through the Mayle books I missed reading last season. So many laugh out loud moments with Greenside that could mirror almost any day for us while spending an extended period of time on St. Barth.

. . . loving the imagery in these posts! The books sound like a perfect accompaniment to time on SBH!

Dennis I have not laughed so hard since reading "Marley and Me" years ago while on the beach at the then named IdF. (The scene/chapter when Marley flunks out of obedience school).

UPDATE….Book one is not as funny as the sequel. However, it introduces the intrepid American and how he got to be a house owner in France. Book two, his fixing up and his blending into the village life make 2 the one to read if you do not want to overcommit. Just saying.

Just finished "(Not quite)...." Glad you recommended it. Very funny. I noted the time he was making a withdrawal and he describes the banker's expression as "watching a Renoir turn into a Picasso."