Your St. Barts Must-Do's (Restaurants and Otherwise)

I received so much helpful information re: my Le Ti inquiry a week or so back that I was hoping to avail myself of the expertise of this group once again. As my forum name indicates, I'm returning to St. Barts for my second visit in February/March (last visit was pre-pandemic in 2019), and I'm trying to gather more information and suggestions for things to do while on our 8-night trip. Two questions for those of you willing to respond:

1) What are your personal favorite/must-do food & beverage experiences on St. Barts (this could be anything from very fine-dining to the most casual of experiences, or even drinks only)? Bonus points for things that someone wouldn't readily find in a generic St. Barts travel guide (but okay if so, as often times things are popular for a reason)?

2) What are your personal favorite/must-do non-dining experiences or activities on St. Barts? Again, bonus points if a little under the conventiional travel guide radar.

To give you some context for us, some of the stand-out memories that we had last go-around were dinner at Tamarin and Bonito and sushi at Yo Sushi Mania overlooking Grand Cul de Sac, as well as a beach day at Colombier and a hike out to the natural pools at Grand Fond.

Hi Second

Fouquet's..brunch, lunch or dinner
Santa Fe lunch or dinner
Bananiers lunch or dinner
L/Esprit dinner
Black Ginger dinner
Le Sereno lunch
Lil Rock Lunch and
L'Isola dinner

Like husband Phil says SO MANY RESTAURANTS, SO LITTLE TIME. Keep in mind, he does not eat fish, but lobster and shrimp work.

Enjoy and let us know what you are enjoying.

I make reservations whenever possible, especially for special occasions and for restaurants that I really want to get to. Most of the time the day before is fine, or even a few hours ahead of time.

Santa Fé in Lurin should be on your list. There's a view at lunch, as well as valet parking. Moules et Frites, French Mussels and Fries, are usually available on Friday. If you want them it doesn't hurt to say so when you make a reservation.

Jean Claude Dufour at L'Esprit de Jean Claude in Saline is arguably the best chef on the island.

Early morning breakfast at L'Oubli Bar in Gustavia is an opportunity to watch the island wake up as much of the traffic through Gustavia passes by.

Sunday Brunch at Fouquet's at the Carl Gustaf is well worth trying.

Le Repaire in Gustavia is under-rated and under appreciated by many. They have an excellent Chef (except on Thursday, Mussels day), and you should always check what is on the Specials board. I had my best meal there on my November trip.

The Rooftop at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Gustavia is a great place to melt the numbers off of your credit card. I had my second-best meal there in November.

If you haven't been to Eddy's in Gustavia then you should give it a try. The menu doesn't change much, but it is consistently good, with creole and asian touches.

If you just want a burger then check out Le Select in Gustavia, Jojo Burger in Lorient, or Buns, next to Boulangerie Choisy in Lorient.

Agree with all of the above.

I’ll add…

Lunch and a massage at the Christopher Hotel. Enjoy their pool while there.

Lasagna from I’soletta. Eat it there or take it back to your villa.

Zion has become a top dinner favorite for us.

Gypsea is wonderful for lunch, and we like Nikki Beach too.

Walking up to Fort Karl in Gustavia is easy and offers great views of Shell Beach, Gustavia and the sunset.

Much to agree with above! Note L'Oubli Bar is cash only!

Villa breakfasts and lunches thanks to the many fine sources of bread, pastries and prepared foods.

Most famously, Eden to Go, but even the big box supermarché has quality items.

We’ve been many times, the two most recent July 2021 and January 2020 (where I distinctly remember listening to news reports about this new virus). Sigh. Our all-time favorites are: Bonito (we never miss this one), Le Repaire, and Les Bananiers. L’Isoletta was a surprisingly pleasant meal with our kids in July. Orega was one we kept missing over the years, but was our best meal this last trip, so we’ll definitely go again next time. L’Isola is delicious, but $$$$ and indoors and we live in Chicago surrounded by wonderful Italian food, so don’t feel the need to go there every trip. Zion and Tamarin also made both of the last two trips, but we found the famous smoked mashed potatoes at Zion inedible (everything else delicious), and Tamarin was only okay last time (but magical setting, so maybe good for an early drink).

Did anyone mention Sand Bar, it's our favorite lunch place (except between xmas and new year's when there are way too many people), the food is very good, the DJ very chill (soft), and the service rather peculiar but it's a lovely spot... great view, comfortable seating, etc...

*Breakfast at Pearl Beach in St Jean
*Snack/drink shopping at Epicerie de Corossol
*Snorkeling/swimming/sunbathing at Corossol Beach
*Lunch at Les Jardins in St Jean
*Shopping at L’Entrepôt des Lézards
*Drinks at Le Bar de L’Oubli in Gustavia
*Dinner at Black Ginger in Gustavia

On Tuesdays: Taiźe Service at St Bartholomew’s Anglican Church in Gustavia

When shared with on-island friends, a superb day for me on St Barth!

Drinks at

Baz Bar (with live music)
Whisky Tango Foxtrot (Le Barthelemy)
Sunset drinks at Shellona
Sunset drinks at Bonito

Best Lunches

Sand Bar
La Case
Le Toiny Beach
Santa Fe

Best Dinners

Le Sereno
Orega
L’Esprit
L’Isola
Bonito

Hi Ben..has the Barthelemy WTF rooftop bar reopened? Loved spending time up there a couple of years ago.

When we were there a few weeks ago, the bar was located at the entrance to the restaurant. Lovely. But we missed the surreal experience of the rooftop for drinks and tapas under the stars.

Shopping at Laurent Effel is a must do.
Pack a cooler of paninis from Kiki-e Mo and a bottle of rosé and have a peaceful lunch on a beach, Gouvenor is our pick

When we were there a few weeks ago, the bar was located at the entrance to the restaurant. Lovely. But we missed the surreal experience of the rooftop for drinks and tapas under the stars.

Loved our times together on the rooftop with our family and splendid friends. Many fond memories!

Sunset at the Lighthouse or behind the hospital is a great way to end the day. Bring some wine and maybe some apps and you have dinner and a movie!

A breakfast/brunch on the beach is something I always do. Pick up some croissants/quiches/pastries/etc from Petie Colombe in Colombier and head down to Flammands. Park on the far side (far left as you come down the hill), and bring champagne and orange juice for mimosas and you have your own little party.

Hit up Nikki Beach for lunch. Go on a weekday for a peaceful time or on Sunday for a party. Probably the best food on St. Jean beach

A hike up to the top of St. Jean is fun, but steep. You can get great views of St. Jean Bay as well as Saline from up there. Take the road across from Nikki beach

A walk around Point Milou is also a nice diversion. Not too much traffic and killer views.

Grab a bottle of Rose and head to Grand Fond in the late afternoon.

The light is amazing at that time of day.

recommend learn to embrace le 'ti punch. it's the apéritif par excellence, de rigueur for the island.

always made with rhum agricole from one of the french islands. never with rhum industriel.

always a little lime. always a little sugar or honey or exotic syrup.

rhum blanc ou vieux, according to your whim.

couple of glaçons or not, according to your preference.

tchin - tchin !

illustration of proper 'ti punch etiquette