Math Problem

davesmom

Senior Insider
Well, DD is negative after a mini-bout with Covid:D, and I never got it, so if things stay stable (and I hide out for a month), we may actually get to SBH..but here is my question: If we are theoretically supposed to take a Winair flight at 4:00 PM from SXM, and the arrival in SBH requires a no more than 24 hour antigen test to enter SBH, and our test is done the day we leave in California (4 hour time difference from SBH), does the SBH government take into account the time difference?

I was thinking of booking an antigen test at a clinic near here for a mid-late afternoon appointment day of departure, because our plane leaves at 11:00 PM at night and we land the following day (SAN-fly overnight to MIA-SXM-SBH). It does not seem as though you have to upload an antigen test for SXM on the EHAS form (just the vaccination card) at this point since we are triple vaccinated, and I have not seen any form that you fill out in advance to enter SBH. I thought all you had to have to enter SBH is your vaccination card and your 24 hr. or less antigen test on your phone and of course, backup printed paperwork.

It seems to me that if we get a test here in California around 3 or 4 PM California time, that would be the equivalent of 7 or 8 PM Saint-Barth time, so if we actually made our 4 PM SXM-SBH Winair flight on time the following day, we would be within the 24 hour time frame to enter SBH.

Anyone have any experience with the significant time change on tests and how the SBH arrival people judge your 24 hour test?? I know this question is probably not significant for the East Coast travelers, but it may impact our trip...so thank you in advance for any knowledge or thoughts you have. I am familiar with the eMed opportunity, and may have to use it in an emergency..I may order a few of those tests to have on hand to use in Miami during the layover if necessary..but that is cutting it pretty close!! (MIA has testing if you go out of security but who knows what sort of zoo you would be running into..definitely do not want to trust that!)

Merci en avance! We are counting down...with caution!! Looking forward to the Kevin Resto 2022 Extravaganza List!:heart1:

Hello
I may not be here of much help however I fly back-and-forth between San Diego and SBH, our two homes. I book a long layover at either JFK or Atlanta airport and conduct covid testing at the Express Station. It takes about 20min and then I complete the PR entry form and receive the QR code to fly on to San Juan, and then onto St.Barts. The problem is that I have to overnight usually in San Juan given the red-eye San Diego flight is difficult to time (in my case.) I am also a Delta 1M miler so I stick to Delta these days in case I get stuck as they are more “helpful” now! I have flown the AA 2219 many times (MIA -SXM) but it’s a hassle when cancelled/delayed and we have a little dog so we only travel via SJU now. Although this is not ideal and does leave a lot to chance, it has worked but I realize it facilitates my travel and likely not suitable for most. There is testing available in MIA airport too.

You should be fine with your Plan. And if you get delayed at SXM, you can always get an Antigen Test at SXM Airport again, if necessary.

Hi. So good to read that DD has ended his Covid Crisis and you are moving on with your plans. Hooray and full steam ahead.

Wishing you safe and uneventful travels, Gina, and glad DD is better. Keep us posted on your travels.

Hugs from NJ,

Gayle
:heart1:

Here is an idea not sure how long this will stay in effect we went to St Barts from St Maarten for 5 nights Dec 29-Jan 3. We used Great Bay express and you don't need a covid test to enter SBH using the ferry.

https://www.greatbayexpress.com/covid-19

We were nervous that they would change the process the day we were going but it worked out for us. We had a great time on the island. The only place that asked for our vaccine card was Le Select lol.

Thank you all for your suggestions! You can always use a few "bail outs"! The next 2 weeks should be interesting in Covid developments:rolleyes:. Many people here have it, have had it, and many have no or few symptoms and we are wishing everyone could have it no worse than DD. How I did not catch it, I will never know:blush-smile:..but my former "teacher T-cells" might have something to do with it, according to the Scripps Health people. I pretty much caught everything from college kids, high school kids, and little ones over the years and it was always the 2nd week in January when we went back to school...good health and happiness in 2022 to all!

Hello
I may not be here of much help however I fly back-and-forth between San Diego and SBH, our two homes. I book a long layover at either JFK or Atlanta airport and conduct covid testing at the Express Station. It takes about 20min and then I complete the PR entry form and receive the QR code to fly on to San Juan, and then onto St.Barts. The problem is that I have to overnight usually in San Juan given the red-eye San Diego flight is difficult to time (in my case.) I am also a Delta 1M miler so I stick to Delta these days in case I get stuck as they are more “helpful” now! I have flown the AA 2219 many times (MIA -SXM) but it’s a hassle when cancelled/delayed and we have a little dog so we only travel via SJU now. Although this is not ideal and does leave a lot to chance, it has worked but I realize it facilitates my travel and likely not suitable for most. There is testing available in MIA airport too.

Hi Jamie! Looking forward to seeing you & Dave in February! Meanwhile, if “worse comes to worst” with SJU as a transit point, I think that SJU also has “Express Station” type testing opportunity during layover at SJU while en route to SBH with Tradewind. Am I correctly recalling it?

Hi Jamie! Looking forward to seeing you & Dave in February! Meanwhile, if “worse comes to worst” with SJU as a transit point, I think that SJU also has “Express Station” type testing opportunity during layover at SJU while en route to SBH with Tradewind. Am I correctly recalling it?

I was looking into this option for our upcoming trip, and as far as I could tell, SJU does have a testing station, but not an express testing station. It is a PCR only testing location with results in 24-48 hours, which would not work. The information does seem a little out of date thought (From April of 2021) so not sure if it is still correct. I can't seem to find anything with newer information, however. Link: https://www.covidtestingpr.com/.

Again, if anyone has spoken directly with Tradewinds regarding any of this, please post here for the rest of us in the same boat!

I was looking into this option for our upcoming trip, and as far as I could tell, SJU does have a testing station, but not an express testing station. It is a PCR only testing location with results in 24-48 hours, which would not work. The information does seem a little out of date thought (From April of 2021) so not sure if it is still correct. I can't seem to find anything with newer information, however. Link: https://www.covidtestingpr.com/.

Again, if anyone has spoken directly with Tradewinds regarding any of this, please post here for the rest of us in the same boat!

from the Tradewind site. They recommend eMed proctoring with the Abbott antigen test

54B56160-9B3B-4060-9EA8-E9E4317FF240.jpg

They recommend eMed proctoring with the Abbott antigen test

So you could theoretically do this enroute to the island. That's pretty cool.

ETA- only $99 for 2 and in stock. Less than we paid on SBH for our antigens to fly home. Sweet deal.

ETA- only $99 for 2 and in stock. Less than we paid on SBH for our antigens to fly home. Sweet deal.

You need internet connectivity and a little time. I imagine the wait time has increased to get the proctor on the line. They normally ship the kits overnight, but the website says they are backed up.

Can't say this enough times, you must use the Abbott tests sold on the eMed site as they are approved for travel. The retail tests by Abbott will not work.

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 5.23.08 PM.jpg

i believe you can order a six pack (six individual tests) for $150, and I believe they are back to overnight service.

Don’t count on it getting to you overnight, even after paying for it. We ordered the six pack on 1/3 and it still hasn’t gotten to me in Atlanta. FedEx shipment from Miami. Overnight is not overnight any more, especially with all the flight cancellations and weather. Just a heads up to not wait until the last minute to order.

If going through SXM and if you are required to test beforehand as per the below chart please note that as per their website, "results from home covid-19 collection test kits will also not be accepted" for entry to SXM. These supervised take home tests that are being discussed may be very useful in some cases, but not others. So please be aware of what may be allowed specifically for SJU and what may be allowed specifically for SXM and what may specifically be allowed for SBH and of course the rules change often so always go to the source.

Traveling
to Sint Maarten from:
EHAS application
required
Fully vaccinated plus
booster shot
Fully vaccinated
18 yrs. and older
Fully Vaccinated
5 up to 18 yrs.
Non fully vaccinated
Any Countryyesno test requiredrt-PCR test within 48 hrs. or Ag test within 24 hrs. before departureno test requiredrt-PCR test within 48 hrs. before departure

• rt-PCR and antigen test sample for the SARS-COV-2 virus must be obtained from naso-pharyngeal swab in adolescents and adults. An oro-pharygeal swab is accepted in case of children.
  • Results from home covid-19 collection test kits will also not be accepted. Airlines might require you to show a negative lab test result.
  • The original test resultto be uploaded as part of EHAS application procedure must clearly specify the name of the laboratory or clinic, full name of test subject, type of test administered, name of antigen test, sample date, source of the swab, result date and a negative result. Non-compliant test results, hand written or e-mail statements from doctors will not be accepted.
  • Applicants with a recent COVID-19 infection and still a positive COVID-19 test will only be granted entry with a pos rt-PCR test result when the Ct value is above 35. The Ct value must be clearly indicated on the test result.

https://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/

If going through SXM and if you are required to test beforehand as per the below chart please note that as per their website, "results from home covid-19 collection test kits will also not be accepted" for entry to SXM. These supervised take home tests that are being discussed may be very useful in some cases, but not others. So please be aware of what may be allowed specifically for SJU and what may be allowed specifically for SXM and of course the rules change often so always go to the source.

Traveling
to Sint Maarten from:
EHAS application
required
Fully vaccinated plus
booster shot
Fully vaccinated
18 yrs. and older
Fully Vaccinated
5 up to 18 yrs.
Non fully vaccinated
Any Countryyesno test requiredrt-PCR test within 48 hrs. or Ag test within 24 hrs. before departureno test requiredrt-PCR test within 48 hrs. before departure

• rt-PCR and antigen test sample for the SARS-COV-2 virus must be obtained from naso-pharyngeal swab in adolescents and adults. An oro-pharygeal swab is accepted in case of children.
  • Results from home covid-19 collection test kits will also not be accepted. Airlines might require you to show a negative lab test result.
  • The original test resultto be uploaded as part of EHAS application procedure must clearly specify the name of the laboratory or clinic, full name of test subject, type of test administered, name of antigen test, sample date, source of the swab, result date and a negative result. Non-compliant test results, hand written or e-mail statements from doctors will not be accepted.
  • Applicants with a recent COVID-19 infection and still a positive COVID-19 test will only be granted entry with a pos rt-PCR test result when the Ct value is above 35. The Ct value must be clearly indicated on the test result.

https://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/

I believe a proctored telemedicine test approved by the CDC and FDA is considered a lab or clinic report even if it is administered at home.

I can't say that I know for sure. All I can tell you is these tests were not allowed over the Summer to enter SXM and that was all over all SXM forums. That may have changed, but I haven't heard that it did and the EHAS website still specifically states "Results from home covid-19 collection test kits will also not be accepted"
"you have to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky."

Assuming they don't, I think they should start allowing it. I just bought a home test from a local pharmacy that provides rapid antigen testing and asked them if the test I bought was the same test that they administer and the person told me yes. So if an expert is watching you do it and the test itself is acceptable, IMO the supervised home test should be as well. I get that the test is only as good as the person administering it but I think the supervision helps solve this problem. Hopefully they will be accepted everywhere soon