Our dilemma

Wip

SBH Insider
Hello to All forum members. Sadly, we are on the cusp of canceling our first trip in 27 years. The reason being, we are not prepared to quarantine for 10 days starting the day of our scheduled departure if we fail a test for return. This would turn our usual 21-day vacation in two more than a month on the island. Can't do it due to work constraints. This variant is so transmittable it is hard at this point, just a little over a week away from our departure, to tell what the month of January brings especially after an extremely crowded and busy Christmas and New Year's on the island. Can anyone bring some logic to the debate and give us reason NOT to cancel? I'm really wrestling with this. We'll be missing our January happy place badly. sorry for the repost

Maybe change it from a 3 week trip to a 2 week trip. Then if you test positive it becomes only a little over your original 3 weeks...if you don't test positive (likely you won't) you still have 2 great weeks...

Maybe change it from a 3 week trip to a 2 week trip. Then if you test positive it becomes only a little over your original 3 weeks...if you don't test positive (likely you won't) you still have 2 great weeks...

bonne idée !

Jim, you're brilliant! This is precisely the reason why I post because I'm not smart enough to figure these kind of things out myself. Now all I need to do is get my accommodations to agree to the plan. Jim, I owe you a couple Ti punches at the select if this works out.

Great idea!!

I second this plan! Don't cancel your trip!

Why assume you will catch it? I’ve been twice since May and I felt more comfortable than at home.

If cutting your vacation a week short is not in the cards, another option might be to treat the last week as if you are in quarantine (but not full quarantine). I would think you are most at risk shopping and eating out. Why not have meals delivered (or cook in) the last week. You would still have the ability to go to the beach when you want.... just stay away from people and crowds when you can.

There are always going to be variants with Covid, there will never be an absolute time to travel. I have had our ST Barts vacations pushed 2 times already from the island closing down. At some point you just have to accept the risk if you want to visit your happy place. I totally understand the need to return to St. Barts, my happy place also. My opinion for whatever its worth, take the risk, and drink the island rhum (m’bolo or gloriette) and don’t look back, it will all work out….