24 Hour Test Logistics

tritter95

SBH Insider
We'll be heading back to St Barth next week, and are a bit concerned by the new US requirement that everyone has to have a negative test within 24 hours of arriving home. The logistics of this tight timeframe seem pretty difficult. My understanding is that the St Barth testing facility closes at 1:45PM each day, making a test taken the day before arrival home (around 6PM) outside of the 24 hour window. Is it feasible to do a test in the AM the day of the flight? We were last on the island right before Covid, so I'm not familiar with the testing turnaround times. Our SBC flight leaves around noon, so if the turnaround is pretty quick, maybe a morning test on travel day makes sense.

The actual wording on the CDC website is 1 Day, not 24 Hours. That phrasing gives you a bigger window for testing.

From CDC.gov:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel.

Testing is also available at the pharmacy across from the airport, but there can be a line.

If you have a good wi-fi/cell data signal then you can choose to do the eMed proctored self-test, which is valid for US entry.

Thanks Kevin. That 24 hour vs 1 day wording really does make a huge difference, so thanks for pointing that out. The news sites keep referring to it has 24 hour, but you're right about the CDC working. I think we'll plan to get tested the day before, and purchase from the pharmacy as a backup if needed.

This is more good information. We use Tradewinds to SJU so getting tested the day before our AM flight should be relatively easy. However, with the new variant things might get interesting fast.

I've got to second Kevin's suggestion of eMed testing in your villa. We've done it on two different trips and it couldn't have been easier or less stressful.

You can also get an antigen test at the other pharmacy in St Jean, near Zion restaurant and there is usually not a line. And results very quickly.

We got tested at pharmacy across street from airport day before our departure. Quick and easy, got results in 5 minutes.

With this new requirement, what happens if you test positive? What if the villa is not available and you have to check out the next day?
If hotel rooms are available, would they let us stay there?

With this new requirement, what happens if you test positive? What if the villa is not available and you have to check out the next day?
If hotel rooms are available, would they let us stay there?

Not sure what is happening now, but earlier in the pandemic the COM provided rooms somehere. Perhaps the sports stadium complex?

Not sure what is happening now, but earlier in the pandemic the COM provided rooms somehere. Perhaps the sports stadium complex?
Yes, over the summer, if you tested positive and didn’t have other accommodations, you could stay in rooms at the stadium. Not sure of cost, if any.

Interesting ok! I would imagine that a hotel wouldn’t turn us down if they rooms available if needed, or booking a new villa?

Interesting ok! I would imagine that a hotel wouldn’t turn us down if they rooms available if needed, or booking a new villa?

I'm not sure that would be true. Having a positive-testing guest might be problematic for both the housekeeping staff and in-room dining staff.

I'm not sure that would be true. Having a positive-testing guest might be problematic for both the housekeeping staff and in-room dining staff.

Given risk of occasional false positive antigen tests or alternatively a true positive this circumstance would present multiple challenges: 1) traveling companion(s) who would have to leave you behind or remain
2) cost of rebooking accommodation (assuming your could find a place with meals delivered) unless you had taken travel insurance with high trip delay coverage (example $7000 cap Travelwick International)
3) remaining in isolation room for 10 days (not a fun experience anywhere)

When we were there last August we asked Wimco what would happen if we tested positive in regards to where we would stay. They told us we would stay in the villa. We asked what if someone else had reserved the villa. They told us that the other party would need to make other arrangements.

Don’t overthink it. We have been down twice since May. The chances are so slim, not worth a second of my time. More likely to catch it at a family party crammed into a room on Thanksgiving than on a beach with no one within 25 feet of you.

I'm with Eve on this one.

Profesionally, I overthink and overplan.

Stop.

Just stop.

Don't do it.

Go on vacation and enjoy.

If crap happens then your overthinking and overplanning will be useless anyway.

Just Go.

And Enjoy!

What Kevin said.

Do the basic checking with your airline as changes do happen.

Then when your feet are here on the ground, ENJOY.