Thread: 24 Hour Test Logistics

SBH Member Joined: Jun 2013 NJ Posts: 124

24 Hour Test Logistics

We'll be heading back to St Barth next week, and are a bit concerned by the new US requirement that everyone has to have a negative test within 24 hours of arriving home. The logistics of this tight timeframe seem pretty difficult. My understanding is that the St Barth testing facility closes at 1:45PM each day, making a test taken the day before arrival home (around 6PM) outside of the 24 hour window. Is it feasible to do a test in the AM the day of the flight? We were last on the island right before Covid, so I'm not familiar with the testing turnaround times. Our SBC flight leaves around noon, so if the turnaround is pretty quick, maybe a morning test on travel day makes sense.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,784

Re: 24 Hour Test Logistics

The actual wording on the CDC website is 1 Day, not 24 Hours. That phrasing gives you a bigger window for testing.

From CDC.gov:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g-covid19.html

Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel.

Testing is also available at the pharmacy across from the airport, but there can be a line.

If you have a good wi-fi/cell data signal then you can choose to do the eMed proctored self-test, which is valid for US entry.

SBH Member Joined: Jun 2013 NJ Posts: 124

Thanks Kevin. That 24 hour vs 1 day wording really does make a huge difference, so thanks for pointing that out. The news sites keep referring to it has 24 hour, but you're right about the CDC working. I think we'll plan to get tested the day before, and purchase from the pharmacy as a backup if needed.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2010 Philadelphia and Fire Island, NY Posts: 1,157

This is more good information. We use Tradewinds to SJU so getting tested the day before our AM flight should be relatively easy. However, with the new variant things might get interesting fast.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." - Dorothy Parker

I've got to second Kevin's suggestion of eMed testing in your villa. We've done it on two different trips and it couldn't have been easier or less stressful.
    The meaning of life is to live it.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,583

You can also get an antigen test at the other pharmacy in St Jean, near Zion restaurant and there is usually not a line. And results very quickly.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 1,071

We got tested at pharmacy across street from airport day before our departure. Quick and easy, got results in 5 minutes.
    Steve and Aimee

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2017 Posts: 30

With this new requirement, what happens if you test positive? What if the villa is not available and you have to check out the next day?
    If hotel rooms are available, would they let us stay there?

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,921

Quote Originally Posted by SBHGal View Post
    With this new requirement, what happens if you test positive? What if the villa is not available and you have to check out the next day?
    If hotel rooms are available, would they let us stay there?
    Not sure what is happening now, but earlier in the pandemic the COM provided rooms somehere. Perhaps the sports stadium complex?
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 2,051

Quote Originally Posted by shihadehs View Post
    We got tested at pharmacy across street from airport day before our departure. Quick and easy, got results in 5 minutes.
    Thank you for this info. We are grateful to know about it.
    Strangers are friends you haven't met yet.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2014 Virginia Beach, VA Posts: 862

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Not sure what is happening now, but earlier in the pandemic the COM provided rooms somehere. Perhaps the sports stadium complex?
    Yes, over the summer, if you tested positive and didn’t have other accommodations, you could stay in rooms at the stadium. Not sure of cost, if any.

SBH Member Joined: Jul 2017 Posts: 30

Interesting ok! I would imagine that a hotel wouldn’t turn us down if they rooms available if needed, or booking a new villa?

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,921

Quote Originally Posted by SBHGal View Post
    Interesting ok! I would imagine that a hotel wouldn’t turn us down if they rooms available if needed, or booking a new villa?
    I'm not sure that would be true. Having a positive-testing guest might be problematic for both the housekeeping staff and in-room dining staff.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH New Member Joined: Nov 2017 Posts: 4

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    I'm not sure that would be true. Having a positive-testing guest might be problematic for both the housekeeping staff and in-room dining staff.
    Given risk of occasional false positive antigen tests or alternatively a true positive this circumstance would present multiple challenges: 1) traveling companion(s) who would have to leave you behind or remain
    2) cost of rebooking accommodation (assuming your could find a place with meals delivered) unless you had taken travel insurance with high trip delay coverage (example $7000 cap Travelwick International)
    3) remaining in isolation room for 10 days (not a fun experience anywhere)

SBH Member Joined: Jun 2005 NC Posts: 254

When we were there last August we asked Wimco what would happen if we tested positive in regards to where we would stay. They told us we would stay in the villa. We asked what if someone else had reserved the villa. They told us that the other party would need to make other arrangements.

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,519

Don’t overthink it. We have been down twice since May. The chances are so slim, not worth a second of my time. More likely to catch it at a family party crammed into a room on Thanksgiving than on a beach with no one within 25 feet of you.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,784

I'm with Eve on this one.

Profesionally, I overthink and overplan.

Stop.

Just stop.

Don't do it.

Go on vacation and enjoy.

If crap happens then your overthinking and overplanning will be useless anyway.

Just Go.

And Enjoy!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,875

What Kevin said.

Do the basic checking with your airline as changes do happen.

Then when your feet are here on the ground, ENJOY.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.