Attempt at trip report

L isoletta last night…. We finally made it there. Seems in the past the place in impossible to get in without a reservation… so finally I made a reservation. Very good, had 4 types & managed to take some back to our room to snack on later. Looks like they are setting up tents & decorations along the harbor, hope we’re invited! Basically stayed poolside yesterday and today looks like a drive around the island. Yes, I’ve gotten lost a bit on this little island, lot of turns then suddenly your in someones driveway on a cliff that you feel you might need ropes attached to the car before you attempt to turn around. Ah, love the French & their roads. Late lunch today at the Sand Bar, I’m guessing casual dress, should be fun. A cloudy day so far, feels good on my skin. Not sure if we’ve experienced a full day of clouds ever on the island, but I will welcome it.

Getting “lost” on SBH is called “exploring!” You’ll never be lost!
and if you see this sign, it means come on in in friendly ole France :nerd:
FA11B688-65BC-47E5-BB01-4EA9D602CCAB.jpeg

Well, had a late lunch yesterday at the Sand Bar, 3:00. Not sure if maybe it’s a little late for lunch or little early for dinner but our service wasn’t up to par from what I’ve read about. Not saying it was bad, maybe just around a shift change. Menu looks very good. Started with a 3 type hummus, outstanding and a shrimp appetizer. That with the ginger margaritas was outstanding. For main course she had to he Mahi mahi. Looked great with a broccoli pistachio side. I has the scallops with a rice side. Only issue was the rice wasn’t completely cooked, a slight “al dente” and 3 scallops, only 3. It was very tasty but putting down a 4th would have completed the meal for me. Didn’t get much of a servers attention except the order & “ is everything ok” once. Would have ordered another margarita, but wasn’t asked. After we finished someone else took over the duties & gave us the bill. Would have expected our original server to wish us farewell, but she was gone. We will most likely return next time but earlier for lunch or evening dinner. Suppose I expected a little more personal service for a bill of €200….. but that’s small potatoes in St Barths. It’s Thursday afternoon as I type away here at Pearl Beach under an umbrella & a Corona. Even subpar service won’t sway me from some great dining. Barbecue tonight at the “villa”…. Hang at the pool tomorrow & Eddy’s to end the trip Friday night. Of course we’ll drop into Le Select for a Guinness and a drink for her, before ducking into that little cigar store for a Romeo & Juliet. Only thing that could improve the island is if some construction comes to a completion, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Thanks for your replies & suggestions…. Like walk to the Sand Bar from the beach after parking at the St Jean parking lot. Genesis!

Thanks for the ongoing trip report.

As to the scallops, I ran into the same 3-count at Tamarin. 3 scallops isn't a meal, it's the start of a meal, and a 4th scallop would have made it much better. Chefs can make the plate as pretty as they want, but what I wanted with my scallops was 1 more, a little more protein please!

Loving your report. We have also been dining at the villa a lot on this trip.

We did the Sandbar for lunch on Tuesday at 2 pm. We basically closed the place so I’m thinking your service issue were related to the shift change.

Well, it’s been a great week. Our delayed honeymoon was memorable, mostly good with the occasional blemish which I’ll go into first. Car rental issue 2nd straight year at Turbe. Last visit was the constant tire pressure warning on the mini cooper. Was told both times to drive it to Grand-Cul-de-Sac, which we did. Waited for repair both times & continue using. This thing me the Mini started chugging & not wanting to make it up any hills. Managed to get it back to the agency & again they told me I had to return to their facility at Grand-Cul-de-Sac. I refused since the thing had a “drivetran” warning light & it was sounding terrible. Basically I returned it a day early, no discount for loosing a day & was told I was on my own to find another car. Luckily Top Loc took care of me. The guy shook his head saying they are a good outfit & was confused they didn’t try to help me out. Only blemish on the trip & glad it didn’t go out when the day earlier we were driving near Santa Fe. We spent the last couple days at Pearl Beach enjoying the Stoli & cucumber…. Maybe a few too many but well worth it. Eddy’s for our last nights dinner, wahoo & beef tenderloin were our main dishes with White Russians ( Big Lebowski vibe going). I was the “Dude” for the last night smoking my cigar & having a nightcap at Le Select before heading back. Seems like there was a xmas bus blaring out something close to a cheerful jingle…. But it came & went with its singing passengers on board. Only thing missing was some snow….. which we will see soon in Illinois. Weather was great, food was great, bbq for our first time here great, Tradewinds was GREAT, car rental…minor blip but TopLoc came thru for us! Could only hope the St Jean construction is done in 2 years which when we plan on returning, but by then another project will be going & we’ll have to deal with it. Everyone, thanks for chiming in with suggestions & tips. Andra & Tim

So glad that TopLoc had "your back!" Despite some adversity, your trip sounds like it was a success!

Koops;1055513 Seems like there was a xmas bus blaring out something close to a cheerful jingle…. [/QUOTE said:
Maybe you didn't stay long enough, the Christmas truck came back and parked in front of Le Select for about two hours with a huge crowd of people dancing in the street.. quite an impromptu party...

As Ellen noted, the Christmas Truck is a thing. To add some context, Chant Noel is a thing, with traditional Christmas songs being sung around the island. The truck is a mobile version of the Chant Noel. It does tour various parts of the island, but it ends up at the street in front of Le Select, where it stays for hours. My viewpoint is to expect it, enjoy it, and embrace it.

As Ellen noted, the Christmas Truck is a thing. To add some context, Chant Noel is a thing, with traditional Christmas songs being sung around the island. The truck is a mobile version of the Chant Noel. It does tour various parts of the island, but it ends up at the street in front of Le Select, where it stays for hours. My viewpoint is to expect it, enjoy it, and embrace it.

Good explanation, and usually the singing of Christmas songs around here goes on the entire month of December, and is referred to as Chanté Nwèl... in Créole... my guess is the tradition came from the French Créole speaking islands... should be more of the same once the Christmas Village opens on the dock later this week, I think on Wednesday...

Wow. You were kind, but your experience speaks words to me about Turbe. In my experience, Gumbs would be a better choice.

And TopLoc has always been ready for us upon arrival. And also prompt with friendly road service when we had flat tires. Arnaud is great to work with too.