Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attempt at trip report

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2016 Chicago/DeKalb Illinois Posts: 57

Attempt at trip report

Well, we are not Big posters on the site, but maybe time to start since it’s only our 4th trip here. Newbie’s maybe. It’s our honeymoon trip delayed from the obvious world issues. Arrived via Tradewinds Saturday before noon to give us an early start as opposed to the usual 6:00 arrival time from St Maarten. Being married to a chef and with what is available in the grocery here, saves us a bit and it also excites her palate to go out which we did on our 1st night here. We dined at Eddy’s, foie gras for starters, out of this world & goat cheese samosas. I’ve had the curry goat before & this was better this time, the wife had the Mahi-Mahi. This place is really a mainstay, love the place & most likely will visit again before the week is up. Day 1 is in the books. Andra & Tim

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,903

Re: Attempt at trip report

Congratulations on the wedding and a successful Day One! Your Eddy’s experience sounds divine.
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,920

Nice report! We are fans of Eddy's on arrival day and I love the goat colombo!
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Member Joined: Aug 2013 Chicago, IL Posts: 290

We also had our honeymoon on SBH, it was our first time. Congratulations! Being it's your 4th time, you get it! :)

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,873

Congrats,��.

You are off to a good start.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 2,194

Nice first report! Can’t beat Eddy’s for the first night on island! We will look forward to more reports as your trip continues. Cheers!

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2016 Long Island Posts: 930

Enjoy Eddy’s is our first nights go to place.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,342

Great start. Looking forward to follow-on reporting!

It’s been a great couple days since our original post. Quickly I’ll recap some stuff & get into more detail tomorrow. Like I said earlier, I’m married to a chef and her joy is shopping at the Marche… more so then shopping in Gustavia…. Yes… you heard that right. I must say I’m a very lucky guy. Ate in the last 2 nights & for the first time on the island we barbecued. The charcoal is very different & I thought it would never actually light and be usable. What a pleasant surprise, it’s awesome. Hung out at the pool Sunday & St Jean beach today….. what’s with the traffic, ouch. We are reserved for the Sand Bar Wednesday afternoon. I’ll let you know what’s on the menu tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback, nobody back in Illinois really cares or even really knows about this place… but you do.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 519

Love Sand Bar. Food is very good, but the service is incredible.

I lay claim to this quote: “The best dinner in Saint Barth is a lunch at Sand Bar”

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    I lay claim to this quote: “The best dinner in Saint Barth is a lunch at Sand Bar”

Cheryl and I have not had lunch there however parking across from Pearl and the walk down the beach, toes in sand, for dinner is one of the great experiences of life.

Trying to turn it right side up to no avail. My heat is not working in my house, the repair person is downstairs banging on the boiler…winter in Long Island. Can someone please help out? Thanks

Name:  24592501-1D69-4BDD-80A6-F94E57501C90.png
Views: 821
Size:  3.61 MB

SBH New Member Joined: Oct 2017 Posts: 10

St Barth’s was also our honeymoon destination, still is our Anniversary destination. Enjoy!

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 45,317

Quote Originally Posted by Cwater View Post
    Trying to turn it right side up to no avail. My heat is not working in my house, the repair person is downstairs banging on the boiler…winter in Long Island. Can someone please help out? Thanks

Very nice

Andy

Oh my. I had flashbacks to Hurricane Sandy. I feel your pain and hope all is in order shortly. Layer up and stay safe.
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Cwater View Post
    Trying to turn it right side up to no avail.

Looks like you figured it out!

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2010 New England Posts: 4,385

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Oh my. I had flashbacks to Hurricane Sandy. I feel your pain and hope all is in order shortly. Layer up and stay safe.
    Amy
    Lovely picture! Best of luck with speedy return of heat. Hurricane Sandy makes me think of our late friend Peter Mahler.

We miss Peter from NJ too and had just been talking about him, Rosemary

L isoletta last night…. We finally made it there. Seems in the past the place in impossible to get in without a reservation… so finally I made a reservation. Very good, had 4 types & managed to take some back to our room to snack on later. Looks like they are setting up tents & decorations along the harbor, hope we’re invited! Basically stayed poolside yesterday and today looks like a drive around the island. Yes, I’ve gotten lost a bit on this little island, lot of turns then suddenly your in someones driveway on a cliff that you feel you might need ropes attached to the car before you attempt to turn around. Ah, love the French & their roads. Late lunch today at the Sand Bar, I’m guessing casual dress, should be fun. A cloudy day so far, feels good on my skin. Not sure if we’ve experienced a full day of clouds ever on the island, but I will welcome it.

Getting “lost” on SBH is called “exploring!” You’ll never be lost!

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 8,029

Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    Getting “lost” on SBH is called “exploring!” You’ll never be lost!
    and if you see this sign, it means come on in in friendly ole France
    Name:  FA11B688-65BC-47E5-BB01-4EA9D602CCAB.jpeg
Views: 623
Size:  39.0 KB
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

Very funny!
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    and if you see this sign, it means come on in in friendly ole France
    Name:  FA11B688-65BC-47E5-BB01-4EA9D602CCAB.jpeg
Views: 623
Size:  39.0 KB

Well, had a late lunch yesterday at the Sand Bar, 3:00. Not sure if maybe it’s a little late for lunch or little early for dinner but our service wasn’t up to par from what I’ve read about. Not saying it was bad, maybe just around a shift change. Menu looks very good. Started with a 3 type hummus, outstanding and a shrimp appetizer. That with the ginger margaritas was outstanding. For main course she had to he Mahi mahi. Looked great with a broccoli pistachio side. I has the scallops with a rice side. Only issue was the rice wasn’t completely cooked, a slight “al dente” and 3 scallops, only 3. It was very tasty but putting down a 4th would have completed the meal for me. Didn’t get much of a servers attention except the order & “ is everything ok” once. Would have ordered another margarita, but wasn’t asked. After we finished someone else took over the duties & gave us the bill. Would have expected our original server to wish us farewell, but she was gone. We will most likely return next time but earlier for lunch or evening dinner. Suppose I expected a little more personal service for a bill of €200….. but that’s small potatoes in St Barths. It’s Thursday afternoon as I type away here at Pearl Beach under an umbrella & a Corona. Even subpar service won’t sway me from some great dining. Barbecue tonight at the “villa”…. Hang at the pool tomorrow & Eddy’s to end the trip Friday night. Of course we’ll drop into Le Select for a Guinness and a drink for her, before ducking into that little cigar store for a Romeo & Juliet. Only thing that could improve the island is if some construction comes to a completion, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. Thanks for your replies & suggestions…. Like walk to the Sand Bar from the beach after parking at the St Jean parking lot. Genesis!

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,784

Thanks for the ongoing trip report.

As to the scallops, I ran into the same 3-count at Tamarin. 3 scallops isn't a meal, it's the start of a meal, and a 4th scallop would have made it much better. Chefs can make the plate as pretty as they want, but what I wanted with my scallops was 1 more, a little more protein please!

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,652

Loving your report. We have also been dining at the villa a lot on this trip.

We did the Sandbar for lunch on Tuesday at 2 pm. We basically closed the place so I’m thinking your service issue were related to the shift change.

Well, it’s been a great week. Our delayed honeymoon was memorable, mostly good with the occasional blemish which I’ll go into first. Car rental issue 2nd straight year at Turbe. Last visit was the constant tire pressure warning on the mini cooper. Was told both times to drive it to Grand-Cul-de-Sac, which we did. Waited for repair both times & continue using. This thing me the Mini started chugging & not wanting to make it up any hills. Managed to get it back to the agency & again they told me I had to return to their facility at Grand-Cul-de-Sac. I refused since the thing had a “drivetran” warning light & it was sounding terrible. Basically I returned it a day early, no discount for loosing a day & was told I was on my own to find another car. Luckily Top Loc took care of me. The guy shook his head saying they are a good outfit & was confused they didn’t try to help me out. Only blemish on the trip & glad it didn’t go out when the day earlier we were driving near Santa Fe. We spent the last couple days at Pearl Beach enjoying the Stoli & cucumber…. Maybe a few too many but well worth it. Eddy’s for our last nights dinner, wahoo & beef tenderloin were our main dishes with White Russians ( Big Lebowski vibe going). I was the “Dude” for the last night smoking my cigar & having a nightcap at Le Select before heading back. Seems like there was a xmas bus blaring out something close to a cheerful jingle…. But it came & went with its singing passengers on board. Only thing missing was some snow….. which we will see soon in Illinois. Weather was great, food was great, bbq for our first time here great, Tradewinds was GREAT, car rental…minor blip but TopLoc came thru for us! Could only hope the St Jean construction is done in 2 years which when we plan on returning, but by then another project will be going & we’ll have to deal with it. Everyone, thanks for chiming in with suggestions & tips. Andra & Tim

Splendid wrap up. Take care.

So glad that TopLoc had "your back!" Despite some adversity, your trip sounds like it was a success!