Semi-Live TR: Phase Two - Discovery

marybeth

Senior Insider
Everything you heard is true:
1. The island is packed.
2. The restaurants are booked.
3. Traffic is terrible.
4. Construction is everywhere.
5. Construction vehicles are everywhere. (See 3)
6. Prices are up.
7. Staffing is a problem.

But also:
1. The water is turquoise.
2. The sky is blue.
3. The island is green.
4. The air is warm.
5. The sun is shining.
6. The food is delicious.
7. Patience is a virtue.

Real, live updates and opinions include the following…

The new SuperU is super. Love it.

Fouquet was awesome. The new CG is beautiful and they really maximized their unique setting above Gustavia. Yes, that’s Dover sole.
4721893B-FAF9-4D4C-93DD-9F2CE62C827F.jpg
CC5CD623-89D0-49C0-AE6F-E3FE40071A04.jpg
Eden to Go is basically Mayas to Go with ER branding. Good place to grab some coffee and pastries since we are in SJ.
ADEDA206-0E64-4EBA-8DA6-119B9074DA85.jpg

The “new” Select is not really new. Especially the bathrooms. The Office sign is still there. Everyone can relax. Also it looks like the snack bar has extended hours, in case you need that cheeseburger in paradise.
07ED9171-7A0E-4A56-9DF8-1425F6645AE7.jpeg

GypSea was new for us. Lots of whole grilled fish options. Also it's massive, so get a table as close to the beach as possible. Great for a group. We dined with a non-forum friend (yes, those people exist!) and had a lovely time. Our waitress was training a new server.
977BAFD8-00A2-49AA-B5C6-AE789591A49D.jpg
6C4087B4-F0CD-4BB0-ACD8-11E15C737736.jpg
Our villa cats may be the most feral we have ever met. Well, we haven’t actually met, as they slink around the deck when we are inside and run like the wind if we move towards the door.

One thing we enjoy about the island are the friends we made, mostly via this forum. Love running into people on the street, at the beach, or boulangerie. Dining with P&A was priceless. Looking forward to more meet ups with friends in the coming days.

Finally, it continues to be hot with barely any wind. Planes continue to land backwards.

The beaches are gorgeous and Saline was basically deserted yesterday.
823B0A95-8626-47FA-943E-323ECE102780.jpg
7A1AA7EE-ABAD-4FE8-AE58-EB378A49ACDA.jpg

Back to nothing...well, reading. I guess that is something.

Attachments

• 370244CD-F00C-4B17-903D-03CAB62AB67E.jpg
    370244CD-F00C-4B17-903D-03CAB62AB67E.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 345
  • 517F2829-D98B-4EAB-9EB5-6FB10FCB722D.jpg
    517F2829-D98B-4EAB-9EB5-6FB10FCB722D.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 336
  • 45CD96E3-2AA7-4224-A92F-320856765AF3.jpg
    45CD96E3-2AA7-4224-A92F-320856765AF3.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 332
Excellent live reporting, MB. I agree…dining with P&A is indeed priceless; always joyful and memorable! :heart1:

Wonderful report, mb! And happy to see that you’re continuing my penchant for posting photos. Happy Thanksgiving!

Everything you heard is true:
1. The island is packed.
2. The restaurants are booked.
3. Traffic is terrible.
4. Construction is everywhere.
5. Construction vehicles are everywhere. (See 3)
6. Prices are up.
7. Staffing is a problem.

But also:
1. The water is turquoise.
2. The sky is blue.
3. The island is green.
4. The air is warm.
5. The sun is shining.
6. The food is delicious.
7. Patience is a virtue.

Real, live updates and opinions include the following…

The new SuperU is super. Love it.

Fouquet was awesome. The new CG is beautiful and they really maximized their unique setting above Gustavia. Yes, that’s Dover sole.

Eden to Go is basically Mayas to Go with ER branding. Good place to grab some coffee and pastries since we are in SJ.

The “new” Select is not really new. Especially the bathrooms. The Office sign is still there. Everyone can relax. Also it looks like the snack bar has extended hours, in case you need that cheeseburger in paradise.

GypSea was new for us. Lots of whole grilled fish options. Also it's massive, so get a table as close to the beach as possible. Great for a group. We dined with a non-forum friend (yes, those people exist!) and had a lovely time. Our waitress was training a new server.

Our villa cats may be the most feral we have ever met. Well, we haven’t actually met, as they slink around the deck when we are inside and run like the wind if we move towards the door.

One thing we enjoy about the island are the friends we made, mostly via this forum. Love running into people on the street, at the beach, or boulangerie. Dining with P&A was priceless. Looking forward to more meet ups with friends in the coming days.

Finally, it continues to be hot with barely any wind. Planes continue to land backwards.

The beaches are gorgeous and Saline was basically deserted yesterday.

Back to nothing...well, reading. I guess that is something.

Just back from 2 weeks on St Barth. Will try to keep this concise as there is much to report ; )

Transit through SXM was fine, always easier on way in with SBC. Yesterday, on way out, though crowded, it didn’t take too long, it depends on what airline you are flying as the check in lines varied in length. We flew JB and had no problem. They seem to have eased the entry lines a bit on the way back through/initial immigration. Signs said airport unfortunately not set to be finished until 2023. Testing was easy for exit from sbh—we used the red cross tents. The lines at the airport pharmacy can be long but I just read that starting 12/6—with the new 24hr testing rule for re-entry to US-- all 3 island pharmacies will be offering tests.
Agree with MB’s assessment of pros and cons though island did calm down/less crowded this past week.
Restaurants visited:
Le Sereno
L’isoletta
Toiny BC
Petite Plage
Lil Rock
Ti Corail
Tamarin
Zion
Papillon Ivre
La Case
Robuchon rooftop
Aux Amis
Orega
Manapany
All fabulous in their own way, highly recommend brunch (sat/sun) at La Case.
Highlights:
Weather was incredible, a few passing showers and one cloudy morning for shopping that cleared into a beautiful afternoon. Anglican church services always very special. So many planes coming and going/great viewing during lunch at L’il Rock
Sailed twice on a friend’s 50 ft monohull, one afternoon to Colombier, sailed back as sun set, next time to Fourchue, stayed for sunset, and sailed back into twinkling harbor after dark, magical. (www.funseastem.com)
Waited to hike to colombier until this past week hoping for a peaceful day, gorgeous, not many boats, beach fairly quiet. Another day did a quick hike up Presque Ile for amazing views, flora and fauna, and a peek at new Guanahani which looks beautiful.

Overall island was gorgeous. Thanksgiving week extremely busy—pains me to say Gouverneur was beyond crowded at times—one day an enormous yacht set up (complete with large tent, beach kayaks and tender parked close to beach)--overall too many beach tents—sorry for those who use them but when so many, beach becomes tent after tent it + affects general ambiance. Okay, my one complaint (!) otherwise the island so green and so joyous, everyone very happy and thankful to be back!

Just a quick note: all 3 pharmacies have been offering tests all along, Gustavia, near the airport, and by Zion restaurant, which has been the easiest in terms of no lines...

Just a quick note: all 3 pharmacies have been offering tests all along, Gustavia, near the airport, and by Zion restaurant, which has been the easiest in terms of no lines...
Thank you for this clarification. I saw an IG post/story in reference to the new 24hr US re-entry rule that said all 3 pharmacies would be offering tests, did not realize they had been all along! I knew the airport and St Jean pharmacies had tests but didn't know the Gustavia one did as well. I assume for those traveling on a Monday, since red cross tents are closed Sundays, one or more of the pharmacies are open Sunday mornings?

Thank you for this clarification. I saw an IG post/story in reference to the new 24hr US re-entry rule that said all 3 pharmacies would be offering tests, did not realize they had been all along! I knew the airport and St Jean pharmacies had tests but didn't know the Gustavia one did as well. I assume for those traveling on a Monday, since red cross tents are closed Sundays, one or more of the pharmacies are open Sunday mornings?

Yes there is always one of the three pharmacies open on Sunday and maybe in high season more than one.. if you need a test to leave on a Monday, you could check in advance as to which one will be open on your Sunday....