Leonids Meteor Shower - Late Wednesday/Very Early Thursday

Can you help me, Kevin . . . from Marigot Bay, SBH . . . where should I be looking? (I hope to be able to view the showers from the pool!)

What JEK said works, but I might lean a bit towards orienting myself to face NE or ENE, roughly in the direction of the Guanahani from your villa. Your next bet, from the pool, might suggest a pre-dawn dip, not a midnight dip.

What JEK said works, but I might lean a bit towards orienting myself to face NE or ENE, roughly in the direction of the Guanahani from your villa. Your next bet, from the pool, might suggest a pre-dawn dip, not a midnight dip.

Merci, Kevin!

Took a look at 5:00 am and saw 6 shooting stars in about 15 minutes. Many stars.and a red dot crossing from west to Statia, space station or night flight? No idea.

Took a look at 5:00 am and saw 6 shooting stars in about 15 minutes. Many stars.and a red dot crossing from west to Statia, space station or night flight? No idea.

That’s great! 6 in 15 minutes is a lot.

The ISS does cross from west to east, but in my experience it is white. There is an app called ISS Spotter that will show you where it is, and optionally give you a popup notification if it will be nearby. There are also several flight tracking apps that will tell you about aircraft. Two are Flight Aware and Plane Finder.

Very interesting link, Kevin - thanks for posting it. We will have to stay awake and check this out. Love this kind of stuff! When we are up in the Adirondacks in summertime, there is zero light pollution there. The Milky Way and stars are absolutely breathtaking.

The ISS does cross from west to east, but in my experience it is white. There is an app called ISS Spotter that will show you where it is.

Another app, ISS Live Now, provides the view from the ISS. This was from a few minutes ago.

IMG_3534-2.jpeg

Here is a long exposure I took last year using an iPhone night photography app. The solid line is the ISS and I even caught a passing meteor! The dotted line is a plane and the short dashes show the rotation of the earth during the exposure

E5E80C00-4DA2-4336-8EA1-75B46B2B113C.jpg

We had an app on our phone that spotted the ISS on our trip last week. Night cap by the pool watching the little white dot streaking across the sky was pretty cool