Thread: Not an ordinary Wednesday night!

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,342

Not an ordinary Wednesday night!

It was the opening of the St. Barth Gourmet Festival, held at Fouquet’s in Gustavia’s lovely Carl Gustaf Hotel. My guest & I were early . . , the “wine stations” hadn’t even opened when we arrived just before the 6:30 start time. So we briefly hung-out . . . not a hardship, admiring the view!
    Name:  BC90E4D4-24A9-4A15-A77E-6CF36134DC34.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  335.8 KB

Within minutes, however, festivities were in full swing, so to speak (& literally, to the tunes of Sasha, a local, young DJ friend).
    Name:  0E391210-9551-4C54-8DE3-DE82175E8BB0.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  309.2 KB

Many of the Festival restaurants had “tasting” stations, with samplings of specialties de maison (I think it was Cheval Blanc’s station that served lumps of caviar on the back of one’s hand . . . reminiscent of long ago nights at Autour du Rocher where substances on the back of many patrons’ hands were inhaled instead of digested). All of the participating restaurants, in any event, passed canapés prepared by their local & visiting counterpart chefs. All were exceptional, but special note goes to the offerings of L’Esprit which were packaged in small banana leaves, folded & clipped together with mini-clothespins.

Local participating restaurant chefs & their key staff members circulated with visiting chefs . . . every one with smiling, happy faces — “almost like being in love!”

After a couple of hours of memorable decadence, however, I longed for a sit-down dinner & accepted the kind invitation of L’Atelier Robuchon’s partner in charge of International Development, a fellow guest, to finding seating at L’Atelier for us.

My evening companion & I were accorded lovely treatment . . . an avocado & crab starter pour moi
    Name:  197CFBE9-C025-45FA-A1B5-238FFD568D7A.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  241.3 KB
    followed by a main course of pasta (which they kindly provided gluten free) in a tomato & lobster sauce
    Name:  3174B0B8-7BE1-4D57-A8DA-1C595496B2A1.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  321.5 KB

Kimberly Reed
    Name:  159C7DAC-9BF4-483D-A7B7-8D56E6D129DF.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  486.1 KB
    . . . supporting me in this feasting evening . . . had chicken dumplings (also commonly known as “potstickers!”) & cheeseburger sliders
    Name:  9E09F32D-7BC7-4448-BAD7-65A9B1F68CAD.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  453.7 KB
    Name:  9E78DDD4-493C-4A89-8ECE-1BB9E76A42E7.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  297.1 KB

It was a remarkable evening. I’ve attended most — perhaps all — of the Gourmet Festival evenings since they began, & this one was kicked-off especially memorably. I can’t say enough about the sophistication, panache, & finesse of its execution. Then, on top, a Robuchon evening was “frosting on the cake!”

As a local close friend is fond of saying— and I steal his line — “I’m a lucky boy!”

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,583

Re: Not an ordinary Wednesday night!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,875

Dennis..oh what a night.you sure were in the right place. And with a knowledgeable forum foodie to boot.

Gorgeous, Outstanding food photos. I wanted to lick the iPad this morning.MERCI
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 2,194

What a fantastic evening, Dennis. Yes, you ARE a lucky boy! So glad you enjoyed a very special evening.

SBH Member Joined: May 2008 Posts: 17

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Dennis..oh what a night.you sure were in the right place. And with a knowledgeable forum foodie to boot.

Gorgeous, Outstanding food photos. I wanted to lick the iPad this morning.MERCI

Amy,
    I too wish to lick my iPab this morning. Between the pic from LEsprit and the above, amazing keep up the good work Dennis
    Thanks for sharing

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,652

Beautiful food and 2 of my favorite people!
    We arrive this weekend and hope we get to see you both!

mb

Quote Originally Posted by marybeth View Post
    Beautiful food and 2 of my favorite people!
    We arrive this weekend and hope we get to see you both!

mb
    Let’s make it happen!

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,217

I am always looking for new appetizers ideas. I am wondering how a caviar "bump" would go over on Nantucket at my summer cocktail soirees? A truly great night.
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2005 Cambridge, MA Posts: 7,629

Beautiful review, Dennis. We were sorry to miss the gourmet festival by a few days. Maybe next year. This year's slate looked magnificent.
    Liberté, Égalité, Sororité

Thanks, Jeanette! I think you’re right . . . the Festival seemed unusually great among its predecessor “editions.”

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,875

Really great teams were put together and well organized for this year’s outstanding gourmet festival. Thank you to all that made it happen!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.