Question About Traveling To SBH?

steelpe

SBH Insider
Sorry for the repeat of a question that has probably been asked here 100 times.

What does the opening of the US borders mean for travelers returning to the US from SBH (a reversal from my stance a few months ago)?

My wife and I are trying to figure out if we want to take a trip this coming January (2022) or the following January/February (2023). If we do decide to travel, we would be doing so with out soon to be 8 yo daughter. It's getting a little late and it looks like we need to go through travel gymnastics to actually travel to the island with all of the book flights. As I have it now, we would be traveling from Bos-Sxm-SBH...... and return with SBH-SJU-BOS. This seems to be the best most cost efficient solution as lots of flights are fully booked.

My wife and I are both vaccinated, our daughter is not (and we are not exactly hopping on that wagon immediately)

I know that the stance for ST Maarten in regards to an EHAS form (or whatever its called) has recently changed.... but I would imagine that we would all need to get tested before traveling to SBH regardless of the stance of St Maarten.

With regards to the return flight, as it currently stands, would be we allowed back to the US without getting tested?

Also, with regards to our daughter, would see need to be vaccinated (as it is now available in the US) or is that not necessary as the EU does not require vaccinations of children of this age yet?

Sorry, I know this stuff has been posted before, and I have tried to keep up with it, but I get an ice cream headache trying to follow it.

I can’t answer all your questions, but I’ll note that it was interesting to me that when I recently (this past Saturday) arrived at SBH, the Immigration gendarme asked to see my vaccination card, but did not ask to see recent test results. Tradewind at SJU, however, did ask to see a recent Covid test result.

as of today you need a negative test result to be allowed into the US.

Effective November 8, 2021 at 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT), before boarding a flight to the US from a foreign country, all air passengers- 2 years or older – are required to present a negative COVID-19 viral test result, within a time period based on their vaccination status (see table below), or present documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the last 90 days. Air passengers will also be required to confirm in the form of an attestation that the information they present is true

Fully vaccinatedNo more than 3 days
Not fully vaccinatedNo more than 1 day

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

Testing rule for children entering SBH
Fully vaccinated travelers aged 18 or older who are residents of orange countries will need to provide at Tradewind check-in proof of vaccination and a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of arrival to St Barths, or a negative antigen test taken within 48 hours of arrival to St Barths. Children under the age of 18 traveling with their vaccinated parents do not need a vaccine to enter St Barths, and travelers younger than 11 are exempt from testing.

https://www.flytradewind.com/covid-19-safety-measures-st-barths/

Question to those of you who have recently travelled home on Tradewind...confirming we only need 48hour antigen test that they check here upon departure. Do we get checked again in San Juan for our American flight...we are leaving Saturday and need to get our tests done.

When I flew from SBH to SJU to the US in mid-September, the 48 hr antigen test results were checked by Tradewind at SBH check-in, but not by AA at SJU.

I had 4 friends fly back through st Martin this week and no one checked their test results.

Test results are no longer required for SXM. Do you mean no one checked their rest results when arriving in SBH?

We're all still planning to get tested next week until we hear otherwise.

As far as I know, you still need a negative test result to come to SBH. We traveled through SJU and Tradewind checked our test results and vax status. Not sure how it's handled in SXM but I know the test is still required.

Phil

Question to those of you who have recently travelled home on Tradewind...confirming we only need 48hour antigen test that they check here upon departure. Do we get checked again in San Juan for our American flight...we are leaving Saturday and need to get our tests done.
I believe the testing requirement is now 3 days for return to the US for vaccinated travelers and 1 day for unvaccinated travelers regardless of whether you take an antigen or PCR test. They should not check it in San Juan because now no test is required to go from San Juan to the mainland US

I guess it’s possible they check because you are coming from SBH if American makes you fill something out asking where else you have been in the last 14 days, but again they really shouldn’t. JetBlue did not ask us for test results in San Juan

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html
Before Traveling to the United States

vial light iconTesting – ALL Travelers

REQUIRED
Before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show one of the following:

• If you are fully vaccinated: Proof of vaccination and a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 3 days before travel.
  • If you are NOT fully vaccinated: A negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel.
Children under 2 years old do not need to test. There is also an option for people who have documented recovery from COVID-19 in the past 90 days. Learn more about these requirements.

Just had our rapid Covid tests done at pharmacy across from airport...big line was forming...pharmacist and assistant were very professional and quick...negative results back in 4 minutes...guess we have to go home tomorrow.

. . . sorry to read of you leaving! Bon voyage, & come back soon! Thanks for writing about your trip.

Aimee, you are so right. It was the only way I could return to the states, KNOWING that we had the next bisit on the books. Well played.

Safe travels.

I’m not so much concerned with acquiring a negative Covid-19 viral or PCR test “before” flying to SBH as I am with ensuring the same result when leaving SBH. Isn’t it just a tad risky if the test upon leaving to go back to Canada or US turns out positive. Isolating for 14 days (if that’s still the rule) would be just slightly hard on the wallet!

Hoping the return home test requirement gets squashed very soon for fully vaccinated people.

I’m not so much concerned with acquiring a negative Covid-19 viral or PCR test “before” flying to SBH as I am with ensuring the same result when leaving SBH. Isn’t it just a tad risky if the test upon leaving to go back to Canada or US turns out positive. Isolating for 14 days (if that’s still the rule) would be just slightly hard on the wallet!

Hoping the return home test requirement gets squashed very soon for fully vaccinated people.
Same here. I’m a worrier and we went in July, with 3 kids, I stressed about the return tests a lot during the week. After that trip, we decided to postpone international travel until that requirement is dropped. Hopefully soon!

Pretty soon none of us will be deemed fully vaccinated. Already started in the U.K...