Ou Sont Les Oeufs

Aipotu

SBH Insider
Wow, here I thought supply chain issues were limited to ritzy Fairfield County, but the stores on the island are severely challenged keeping things on their shelves. We've been trying to buy eggs (as only one example) since Saturday, and have come across all of one carton across five stores -- and that was in the basket of a young guy ahead of us in line, who merely said "I got lucky" in French. To be sure, we've found enough things to get us through breakfasts and snacking, but clearly some challenges for the local marches! I've also picked up that availability may be affecting some of the restaurant menus as well. But it is still paradise, and wine and rhum vanilla both appear to be in good supply!

The last mile is the same everywhere, but the last mile in Saint Barth is often thousands of miles!

Supply chain being discussed on CBS Mornings this morning, also mentioned wine, and bottles to fill, in short supply, calling my local provider now to order Beaujolais Nouveau from Joseph Drouhin ! Eggs here still plentiful & turkey in our freezer.

PS, I made my call, disappointed to learn no Joseph Drouhin this year, not a good season per the wine guy ! But they'll have George's, not a fan so won't be buying that !

And the wine from my allocations seemly are holding up!

A675B5CD-47A7-4239-89B6-2855554D54E5.jpeg41E9EBC8-1832-4A4A-9B4C-1C6AB9B5F8BD.jpegE3BB4BAA-3F02-4082-82CE-CFC942FD31D1.jpeg

We saw several cartons of eggs yesterday morning at March U..they were on a shelf but not in refrigerated section which we thought was odd...

My grandmother kept eggs Un refrigerated. Remember the hen shaped wire egg racks/holders? Also days of yore

Washed vs Unwashed Eggs: What's the bloomin' difference?

POSTED BY MONICA MCLENDON
MAY 4, 2018 11:24:08 AM

Egg%20unwashed%20pasture%20raised.jpg

If you've ever taken home farm-fresh eggs, or visited a grocery store outside of the country, you may have been surprised to learn that eggs don't necessarily need to be refrigerated. In fact, the United States is one of the few countries that promotes the washing and refrigeration of eggs.
A lot of customers ask us questions about our pastured eggs, so here, we answer a few common ones here.
The difference between washed vs unwashed eggs

Before a hen lays an egg, her body creates a protective layer called the "bloom" over the shell. The bloom protects the egg from any bacteria getting inside by sealing the 6,000-8,000 shell pores.
Large commercial egg producers spray their eggs with a chemical sanitizer before they package them, to reduce the risk of bacteria like salmonella contaminating the egg. When eggs are washed, the "bloom" is removed, leaving the egg pores open to potential new bacteria. Without that protective layer, it's recommended that you refrigerate washed eggs at a temperature around 45 degrees to prevent any bacteria growth.
If eggs are left unwashed with the bloom intact, you can place them on your kitchen counter. Unwashed, room temperature eggs should keep for about two weeks. If you aren't planning to eat your eggs for a while, we recommend refrigerating them. The cooler temperatures increase the shelf life, with eggs keeping for up to three months in the refrigerator.

That's exactly where we finally found some late yesterday afternoon -- and wondered the same thing. They are now safely in our fridge...well, minus four of them, which we ate. :)

We saw several cartons of eggs yesterday morning at March U..they were on a shelf but not in refrigerated section which we thought was odd...

Plenty of eggs (and anything else you want) are available today at the Super U near the airport. Much better than the Super U in Marigot, Saint-Martin, ten days ago, when the shelves were bare -- a ship from Europe was delayed due to the world-wide shipping crisis, I was told. Anyway, Saint-Barth seems to be doing fine today.

The supply chain is frequently interrupted coming into our fair island. This was March 2017 and may been due to swells from the North.

1DD3A1D9-A2C8-470E-91AB-367C9CD9AC33.jpg71F0B5E6-D7CE-45D7-BAE0-5E3ED2D60DDA.jpg