If anything can go wrong . . .

cec1

Senior Insider
The travel leg was doomed!

Flight out of JAX to MIA was delayed for an hour by rain & “weather.” MIA arrival was at D55, 15 minutes before departure at D21. Another passenger — a woman half my age! — and I “sprinted,” so to speak, through terminals. We had never met, but as she sympathetically looked over her shoulder to see how I was doing, she clearly sensed that it was a physical challenge for me, huffing & puffing!

Finally arriving at D21, the agent said, “We’re glad that you made it.”

THEN! We sat on the plane, at the gate, for 90 minutes because no AA personnel on the ground would close two open cargo doors. Apparently part of the recent AA employee work stoppage related to objections to an airline Covid vaccination requirement. When the time had been reached that, by law, the plane would have to be opened for dissatisfied passengers to disembark . . . as the JetBridge was being re-connected to the plane, someone on the ground closed the cargo doors, allowing us to depart. Ringing applause!

Unfortunately, late departure meant that we arrived at the SJU gate at 4 PM . . . too late to make Tradewind’s 4:10 flight to SBH — even with help of a TW “VIP” rep.

With TW assistance, I find myself tonight, as a result, at Hotel El San Juan in Isla Verde, near the airport . . . and am scheduled on TW’s 1:10 flight to SBH (6 AM & two 10 AM flights are fully booked). The hotel & all nearby hotels are filled by attendees at a conference organized by NY’s newly minted governor (does this compute?). In any event, here are a few photos of the scene.

. . . my bracelet, required in the hotel, as evidence of Covid vaccination:
7C203B24-7308-44CE-8965-ED56C4B1EB1E.jpeg

b5e6e730-1b8b-44fe-863d-f20b3cc23acc

Entrance to the hotel:
8151974B-02AC-4310-9701-DCE712BA9A7A.jpg

Garish side of the venue:
46801F94-A762-402D-B9A5-3A7057B54E22.jpeg
6CA5759D-0CB9-438B-B2B6-34A9C28A30F8.jpg

And a relatively mellow corner of the property:
71E92947-C1E7-4B86-AD8B-52B8EDE5787B.jpeg

All in all . . . I’m sorry to have missed my Chef’s Table seat tonight at Restaurant Zion, but I’ll be there Tuesday night. And tomorrow I’ll be “home!” The tingle is tangible.

You have recovered as best as could be done. The ESJ isn't my preferred hotel in San Juan, but I've stayed there, and it is better than many. Safe travels tomorrow, and best wishes for a nice breakfast at ESJ, and and for even better lunch on St Barth.

Glad that the lobby’s grand lighting fixture has survived. You too!

Soon come, Dennis. Good r and r awaits you.

And good that you have been exercising and walking to prepare you so that you could get through these airport snafus.

Ugh, Sorry to hear Dennis. Hopefully today will end much better than yesterday for you!!!

Can't imagine cleaning the chandelier ! the lovely one at Philadelphia's Academy of Music gets sent to France for cleaning.
So now Dennis you qualify as a marathoner ? the Rock n Roll full one in Sav today cancelled b/c of rain etc, falling since noon yesterday. But soon you will be in paradise to enjoy to the fullest !

We flew down last night out of Miami also...on the 6:15 flight that left 2 hours late due to storms..had lovely stay at airport hotel and early 6:45 Tradewind over this morning...so glad to be back on island after missing almost 3 years due to Covid.
I do have to say the health check crew at San Juan Airport in haz mat suits were quite something but most friendly and checked our paperwork and we were in our way..even if you just overnight they will check you.
Stocking up at Segaco and March U and will settle in...to quote Amy...Ahhh St. Barts!!!!
Aimee

We flew down last night out of Miami also...on the 6:15 flight that left 2 hours late due to storms..had lovely stay at airport hotel and early 6:45 Tradewind over this morning...so glad to be back on island after missing almost 3 years due to Covid.
I do have to say the health check crew at San Juan Airport in haz mat suits were quite something but most friendly and checked our paperwork and we were in our way..even if you just overnight they will check you.
Stocking up at Segaco and March U and will settle in...to quote Amy...Ahhh St. Barts!!!!
Aimee

Glad to read that you already are on SBH, Aimee. Enjoy you visit!

I’d like to clarify for others, however, that it’s not necessary to navigate through “the haz mat suits” en route to SBH if you overnight in San Juan. The way to avoid that process is to simply go into the JetBlue terminal on the departure level, where you can walk directly to the Tradewind desk. If you arrive by taxi, get out at the curb in front of the terminal (many SkyCaps there, if you need luggage assistance), & if you’ve stayed at the hotel in the airport, go up from the “lobby” area to the departure level & walk to the JetBlue terminal.

Our issue is we had to claim bags last night and they checked us before we walked over to airport hotel from baggage claim..assuming if you just had carry on that could be avoided...

So sorry about the stress you have been through. :( At least the hotel looked pretty. I actually have the same concerns..the only day I would be carry-on only is if I were going somewhere for the day:D; that would never be part of my M.O. But nowadays, I can't imagine anyone who has to transfer multiple times would find smooth sailing. We wish you a fabulous stay and I would be thrilled just to go to my favorite grocery store, Super U. This time, Segeco may be on the list; I think Kevin is their best customer, right?! Happy and smooth sailing from now on!

So sorry about the stress you have been through. :( At least the hotel looked pretty. I actually have the same concerns..the only day I would be carry-on only is if I were going somewhere for the day:D; that would never be part of my M.O. But nowadays, I can't imagine anyone who has to transfer multiple times would find smooth sailing. We wish you a fabulous stay and I would be thrilled just to go to my favorite grocery store, Super U. This time, Segeco may be on the list; I think Kevin is their best customer, right?! Happy and smooth sailing from now on!

Thank you DM! I will say that in 43 years of visiting SBH, I believe that I’ve only had an en route “forced overnight” 3x. Of course, “times they are a’changin’!” . . . as evidenced by today’s situation at Marché U. Supply disruptions have hit SBH, as well!
09A4DB88-031C-40B5-A6DC-55EAB7B70197.jpg
03949882-7E6A-47D2-A91A-BF23A9214E18.jpg

It’s still my special place. Such an exhale on landing today . . . and always grateful for the gendarme who, in looking for a spot to stamp my passport, says “welcome home!”