Thread: A couple of Restaurant Questions

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 2,048

A couple of Restaurant Questions

We've been playing catch up with all the new restos and trying to do some research. A lot of feet in the sand type restos going around..obviously things seem much less formal around town. Is Lil Rock associated with ER? It is next door but ER does not have it listed on their website as a resto; only the Sand Bar (new and improved?) seems to be on the ER site. La Petite Plage in Gustavia looks kind of interesting. L'Atelier de J-R seems like a must do and the open air patio looked really great. I got the impression that the resto below was more formal? Couldn't really tell and are they separate entities? There are L'Atelier restos here and there around the world (Las Vegas), etc. but SBH seems like a wonderful location. There seems to be a load of new places but we really like eating outside, and lots of seafood. We have some of the old favorites on our list but new to the party seems to include the above, as well as Orega, Rivyera, Fouquet's, Ti Corail, and an addition that seems very welcome, a coffee brûlerie near Saline! That is definitely on my to do list. Hopefully that will make it into a suitcase or 2 along with Albert's rhum vanille. If anyone would like to suggest some of the new (or improved) places, we appreciate your opinions! Merci en avance!
    Strangers are friends you haven't met yet.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 964

Re: A couple of Restaurant Questions

Yes, ER and lil’ rock totally different.

we ate at Lil’Rock for the first time yesterday ( I think yesterday). Was pretty good. The one thing I would say is the entrees (starters) were bigger than we expected. Ordered an entree and main each and wasn’t necessary for lunch at all. Sand bar has been closed it seems due to private parties when we have walked by so haven’t tried it this trip. I would say your understanding of L’Atelier as you described it is accurate. We did the rooftop the other night. Very good.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,781

Lil Rock Beach is not connected to ER, and rumor has it that ER is not happy with the name. It is one of the rare SBH restaurants which is owned and operated by local SBH people, and is on family land.

Without having seen it, the Robuchon operation in Gustavia appears to be unique, different than other Robuchon operations. L’Atelier, usually the less formal part, with counter seating around the kitchen area plus a few tables, appears to be the more formal part, located on the ground floor. Rooftop appears to be the less formal part, on the upper floor.

Reviews from the Rooftop have been universally good, with a few new-restaurant service glitches. I would very much like to hear a review of the downstairs L’Atelier operation from someone who has been to a different L’Atelier.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,871

Petite Plage, former site of Buccaneer, is now undergoing enlargement and major remodeling.can not wait to see this latest incarnation as it it is a great spot ON THE HARBOR.

We have been thrilled with food and service at Fouquet’s. Ditto L’Esprit and Santa Fe.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 2,048

Thank you all for such great responses! Amy, we are totally with you! My favorite restaurant is L'Esprit (my birthday resto) and of course Santa Fe, so we are reserved for those. Fouquet's sounded beyond delicious..we will have to try it. I saw the location of Petite Plage and it was in a lovely area as well as the L'Atelier upstairs, so I am putting them on the list. Kevin and Jim, thank you for that update on Lil'Rock; I have to believe that was quite disturbing to the neighbors but I guess the name is legal. That certainly explains the lack of mention on the ER site, though! It looks like a beach club sort of place that seems to be proliferating around the island. That being said, it looks fun! Anything by the water should be an enjoyable time. I guess we will see what the Sand Bar is all about when they have their restaurant open for visitors. I will be checking menus if they show up. So many things to look forward to: I think I already visually consumed too many calories!
    Strangers are friends you haven't met yet.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 2,194

You’ll have a grand time, Gina! We will look forward to your on island dining reports, for sure!

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2007 New Jersey Posts: 467

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Petite Plage, former site of Buccaneer, is now undergoing enlargement and major remodeling.can not wait to see this latest incarnation as it it is a great spot ON THE HARBOR.

We have been thrilled with food and service at Fouquet’s. Ditto L’Esprit and Santa Fe.
    We are missing your and Phil's detailed and illustrated restaurant trips reports though, Amy.
    Enjoying St Barth since 1998

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 8,028

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    We are missing your and Phil's detailed and illustrated restaurant trips reports though, Amy.
    +1
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2016 Long Island Posts: 930

Lil’ rock is our new go to lunch place. The food is amazing and the toes in the sand experience…unbelievable. Yes one can go into a food coma yet we can jump in the water and walk back to our beach chairs at Jean Michelle. Is there anything out there like the St. Barth experience? Enjoy your stay. Cheryl has been online today booking July 2022. Called Marie Claude of Villa Acajous and she picked up while in France visiting family. We are totally excited to visit our happy place once again. On a roll since 1987.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    Yes, ER and lil’ rock totally different.

we ate at Lil’Rock for the first time yesterday ( I think yesterday). Was pretty good. The one thing I would say is the entrees (starters) were bigger than we expected. Ordered an entree and main each and wasn’t necessary for lunch at all. Sand bar has been closed it seems due to private parties when we have walked by so haven’t tried it this trip. I would say your understanding of L’Atelier as you described it is accurate. We did the rooftop the other night. Very good.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 8,028

C, I think I recall that you were smitten with the new Ti' Corail as a lunchtime destination as well ?
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2016 Long Island Posts: 930

Yes Cas you got me. Luckily there are so many incredible toes in the sand experiences on St. Barth. Life is good
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    C, I think I recall that you were smitten with the new Ti' Corail as a lunchtime destination as well ?

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,518

After a brief hiccup during the transition, Santa Fe is again our new favorite, and we went 2x in May and 2x in May. Although it wasn’t open last month, the Sand Bar is absolutely fantastic for lunch. We loved the food, and the service is spectacular. And of course the view…
    But on our last day, last month, we went to Gypsea and absolutely loved it. It was very quiet, still, and the food and service was very good. And the location and ambiance was great. We will pick that over Shellona any day, if only because we love St Jean so much. I am doubtful it will seem so great once Nickki opens. That’s not a lot of beach for 2 giant restaurants.

SBH Member Joined: Jun 2016 Posts: 25

Following this thread, as our visit is 11/29-12/15 and we are ready to eat our way through the island.
    We had lunch at Lil Rock last January and it was very good, fresh and excellent service.
    L’Atelier is getting roasted on TripAdvisor.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,920

Quote Originally Posted by KPJ72 View Post
    Following this thread, as our visit is 11/29-12/15 and we are ready to eat our way through the island.
    We had lunch at Lil Rock last January and it was very good, fresh and excellent service.
    L’Atelier is getting roasted on TripAdvisor.
    Yes, but I think largely opening pains.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Member Joined: Feb 2008 Connecticut Posts: 382

We've been to four since arriving on the island. Bonito was its usual stunning self, perhaps better than ever. Fouquet's was very good, and the service is outstanding, but both Julie and I thought the sole a little underwhelming. Orega has a very very limited menu right now -- three starters and three entrees. And low on some sakes. Had lobster at Grain de Sel yesterday and while the food was outstanding, the service was slow and indifferent, even by their standards.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,871

I have trouble getting my head to accept that Grain de Sel could offer even SLOWER service!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,337

I have trouble getting my head to accept that Grain de Sel could offer even SLOWER service!
    Very funny!

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,518

funny