Global Entry

debd

Senior Insider
For those of you signed up for this program, with TSA pre-check, and maybe haven't been traveling internationally during the heights of the pandemic, it may be a good idea to check your GE expiration date. To the best of my knowledge, there are no reminders sent. There also seems to be a newer system (at least to me), where you set up an account with your trusted traveler number, and then you can check on your expiration date. I believe you can renew up to a year before expiration. To the best of my knowledge, you do not receive new cards, with the updated expiration date.

We took our first trip...domestically, and noticed no TSA precheck on our boarding passes. Turns out, our GE had expired over this past year, on birthdays in April and August. Set up new accounts, entered our updated passport info, paid our respective $100 renewal, entered our international travel over the last (I think it was) 6 years, and waited to hear if we would need another interview (next available local date is March 2022!!) or maybe get temporary approval.

Turns out we were renewed within 36 hours. Phew.

Quick turnaround for us and no interview either. Cards arrived a week or so later, although they are only needed for physical border crossings.

Ours were expiring so we went online to renew. I got mine back in a couple of weeks and new card arrived by mail. Hers has been pending for over two months. Very inconsistent service.

We are still waiting to hear about our renewal from global entry since early September
the agent that I spoke to said it could take up to 6 months because of the backup and short staff
when I went online it said “Waiting for approval or interview”
we leave to SBH in January so i guess we still have time?????????

Just going to repeat my advice that I posted on another thread re this subject...once you get your new card (and you do get a new card) , you must go back online and activate it.

And I will repeat mine - that card only works for land crossings - Mexico and Canada :biglaugh:

Same experience here. My husband's GE expired and we only noticed when there was no TSA pre-check on a recent domestic flight. We both renewed (mine had not yet expired) and he was reinstated with 48 hours. I am still waiting. The global entry site does say that "Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 18 months to 24 months for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 24 months while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application."

Similar story here... I renewed a few weeks before my husband did, I got renewed right away and new card in the mail a week or so later... My husband's is still "under review" 6 weeks later.

And I will repeat mine - that card only works for land crossings - Mexico and Canada :biglaugh:

So what JEK? Maybe someone on this forum/thread doesn't just travel to St Barths and will be crossing the border to Mexico or Canada? It's just a friendly bit of advice on a Global Entry thread. I got my card first and didn't thoroughly read the instructions but did so when my husband's card came in the mail. It can be easy to miss.

It's snarky comments like yours that truly make me think twice about contributing to this forum. :peace-sign1:

Just going to repeat my advice that I posted on another thread re this subject...once you get your new card (and you do get a new card) , you must go back online and activate it.

That's interesting. The screen I saw said, more or less, you better have a good reason to be requesting a card, and a renewal was not one of the options, but, as you mentioned, it could very well be an automatic part of the the renewal process. If we do get them, I will be sure we activate. Thanks.

Same experience here. My husband's GE expired and we only noticed when there was no TSA pre-check on a recent domestic flight. We both renewed (mine had not yet expired) and he was reinstated with 48 hours. I am still waiting. The global entry site does say that "Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 18 months to 24 months for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 24 months while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application."

Wow.

we are using our GE number but have not received our new cards... it has been months.... they did say it could take a year....

That's interesting.

Wondering if anyone has needed to use their actual GE identity card other than to drive to Mexico or Canada. We have always just filled in our Trusted Traveler number on our airline profiles. When arriving from an international flight, we just have used our passports at the GE kiosks.

That's interesting.

Wondering if anyone has needed to use their actual GE identity card other than to drive to Mexico or Canada. We have always just filled in our Trusted Traveler number on our airline profiles. When arriving from an international flight, we just have used our passports at the GE kiosks.

Two situations for us:

- A few years ago, the Global Entry system went down on New Years (Eve or Day, I don't remember) and we were in transit through MIA from BZE. For three hours, we snaked at a snail's pace through a line like I've never seen before. The TSA agents were allowing people access to the GE lines if they had card in hand, otherwise everyone went through the process by hand, no computer, no GE. Unfortunately, we had 3 cards out of 5, so couldn't use the GE line. We've never encountered this situation before or since, but we always travel with our cards now.

- At the STT airport, the only way to gain entrance to the GE line is to show your card (low-tech version, I guess?).

we renewed our GE in May of this year....did it online.....received approval within 48 hours and received our new cards within 2 weeks....I think that maybe we were very lucky reference the timing of our renewal and obtaining our new cards....
FYI.....for the TTP we had to create a new account at login.gov...a one stop log in for several govt agencies. Also, I believe that when do your first renewal you do not have to do a picture nor do a new, physical interview (we were not required to either one on our first renewal). Supposedly, when you do a second renewal a new pic and interview will be required.

Last edited:
Two situations for us:

- A few years ago, the Global Entry system went down on New Years (Eve or Day, I don't remember) and we were in transit through MIA from BZE. For three hours, we snaked at a snail's pace through a line like I've never seen before. The TSA agents were allowing people access to the GE lines if they had card in hand, otherwise everyone went through the process by hand, no computer, no GE. Unfortunately, we had 3 cards out of 5, so couldn't use the GE line. We've never encountered this situation before or since, but we always travel with our cards now.

- At the STT airport, the only way to gain entrance to the GE line is to show your card (low-tech version, I guess?).

Yuck.

we renewed our GE in May of this year....did it online.....received approval within 48 hours and received our new cards within 2 weeks....I think that maybe we were very lucky reference the timing of our renewal and obtaining our new cards....
FYI.....for the TTP we had to create a new account at login.gov...a one stop log in for several govt agencies. Also, I believe that when do your first renewal you do not have to do a picture nor do a new, physical interview (we were not required to either one on our first renewal). Supposedly, when you do a second renewal a new pic and interview will be required.

interesting to know. Thanks.