Thread: Resto Réservation Deposits

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 7,918

Resto Réservation Deposits

Bonito was mentioned in a current thread as requiring a “no show” deposit to secure a reservation.
    Was wondering which, if any, other restaurants are following this (very off putting) practice.
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2011 NY, NY Posts: 328

Re: Resto Réservation Deposits

A few years ago (I think 2017 or 2018) I contacted La Guerite to make a reservation for 5 people. They required a credit card to make the reservation with something of "no show" fee involved. I had not encountered this request before (at least in St barths) and the idea of throwing my credit card info around to a restaurant was off-putting so I declined. I then found a way to make the reservation, probably through St Barths Access, without having to provide my credit card info. On the day of our reservation Le Guerite sent an email CANCELLING our reservation! Needless to say we have not been back and will not go back to that restaurant.

i do think it's a more common practice for groups larger than 4 or for special event days such as Valentine's Day or NYE, for example.

SBH Member Joined: Jan 2011 NY, NY Posts: 328

It's definitely more common practice now...I have to do it regularly in New York now. But the fact that La Guerite canceled my reservation on the day of, that I had made through a legitimate form, was infuriating and obviously I have not forgotten it!

SBH Member Joined: Feb 2008 Connecticut Posts: 378

I (sorta) get the concept, especially during high season, but early November is usually not overly crowded, so it feels off-putting. And the Bonito form was clearly written by an angry lawyer, rather than a welcoming host. I actually find the terseness of the form more off-putting than the concept -- it's the polar opposite of hospitality. Bonito can do better (especially since this surfaced during a thread on how great their general manager is!)

SBH Member Joined: May 2021 Posts: 33

$150 is a pretty steep penalty!

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 498

We usually set up a few reservations through SiBarth. I wonder how the villa agencies handle a "no show" fee.

SBH Member Joined: Feb 2008 Connecticut Posts: 378

Quote Originally Posted by MTBH View Post
    $150 is a pretty steep penalty!
    Per person! So in almost every case, a minimum of 300-600 Euro...

and, you can reserve this table for only $1,200 !

Name:  245798701_257268023073400_6733367845587769341_n.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  324.0 KB

This table no longer available for reservation even with deposit

Name:  150148582_2775954772626143_2299719657476460372_o.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  270.8 KB

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,637

[QUOTE=cassidain;1053290]This table no longer available for reservation even with deposit

I sure am going to miss this place.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Not sure if this is still the case, or if they have even reopened, but Le Sereno's Al Mare was requiring a deposit of €100 per person earlier this past winter. Not only that, but they required me to send a photo of my driver's license along with the credit card at the time. I don't mind the deposit since that is becoming more and more commonplace where we live in the DC area, but requiring an image of my photo ID seems highly unusual -- and, frankly, makes me concerned about identity theft.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 932

Orega also requires a card for reservations and charges 100Eur per person charge for no shows

According to the general conditions of the restaurant, any cancellation from your share after 30 October at 11:00 or no show exposes you to a debit of the amount of 200EUR .

What is net profit percentage in SBH resto biz? 25%? 33%?

And what is avg tab/person at Bonito or Orega? 150€? 200€?

SBH Member Joined: May 2021 Posts: 33

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    What is net profit percentage in SBH resto biz? 25%? 33%?

And what is avg tab/person at Bonito or Orega? 150€? 200€?
    There is no way they are at 25% profit. Most operate around 0% sadly but 5% is about as good as it gets. Esp. for seasonal places. This makes these no show deposits pure highway robbery.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,466

The issue is that a lot of people have their hotel or a concierge service make three or four reservations for the same night, then they decide when it's time to go out, where they want to go, and don't cancel the other three reservations, so an otherwise full restaurants finds itself with no shows. Perhaps they are trying to nip that practice in the bud... by a real hit to the wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    The issue is that a lot of people have their hotel or a concierge service make three or four reservations for the same night, then they decide when it's time to go out, where they want to go
    that's pretty s****y

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,209

that's pretty s****y
    It is amazing the number of calls I overhear while working events on Nantucket............."I am not even hungry now after all these hors d' oeuvres..........we should bail on our reservations". It is like a game to a number of what I would call professional goer-outers. I see the same on SBH as well. Meet up for a drink and stay longer because there is more than ample food and you are having a good time then you don't bother to turn up for your reservation. Short of maybe Select and a few other establishments offering a very casual menu, I would be hard pressed to come up with anyone who operates at a 25% food cost. Most restaurants count on wine and liquor sales for their income. When people cancel last minute it is extremely difficult to fill those seats with walk-ins on an island where everyone is reservation conscious to make sure they get a seat at their desired eatery. I have no issue with the practice of collecting a credit card number. I suspect in doing so, it acts as a deterrent for people who are restaurant promiscuous.
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2016 Long Island Posts: 881

I agree.
    that's pretty s****y

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,181

This table no longer available for reservation even with deposit

Name:  150148582_2775954772626143_2299719657476460372_o.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  270.8 KB
    Trés sad!

SBH Member Joined: Aug 2013 Chicago, IL Posts: 264

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    The issue is that a lot of people have their hotel or a concierge service make three or four reservations for the same night, then they decide when it's time to go out, where they want to go, and don't cancel the other three reservations, so an otherwise full restaurants finds itself with no shows. Perhaps they are trying to nip that practice in the bud... by a real hit to the wallet.
    This is very common, unfortunately. Not to mention extremely rude.

Someone I know on-island is a concierge for high-end villa guests and told me a story from last year when the guests (10 of them) demanded a private chef for the Christmas Eve the day before. It was all but impossible, but he said he called in every favor he could and managed to get someone for them. After going back and forth about a menu that could be done (all done through a "handler" who was not even on-island) they were all set for the Christmas Eve dinner. The chef showed up with a few staff to help, with all the products for dinner, and the group... never showed up. They had ended up at someone else's villa and decided to stay there with no notice to the chef, let alone any sort of apology to anyone. (Yes, they got paid 100%, but the entitlement runs deep with some of these folks.)

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,181

Quote Originally Posted by le_reve View Post
    This is very common, unfortunately. Not to mention extremely rude.

Someone I know on-island is a concierge for high-end villa guests and told me a story from last year when the guests (10 of them) demanded a private chef for the Christmas Eve the day before. It was all but impossible, but he said he called in every favor he could and managed to get someone for them. After going back and forth about a menu that could be done (all done through a "handler" who was not even on-island) they were all set for the Christmas Eve dinner. The chef showed up with a few staff to help, with all the products for dinner, and the group... never showed up. They had ended up at someone else's villa and decided to stay there with no notice to the chef, let alone any sort of apology to anyone. (Yes, they got paid 100%, but the entitlement runs deep with some of these folks.)
    Totally agree . . . ugly behavior.