Resto Réservation Deposits

The issue is that a lot of people have their hotel or a concierge service make three or four reservations for the same night, then they decide when it's time to go out, where they want to go, and don't cancel the other three reservations, so an otherwise full restaurants finds itself with no shows. Perhaps they are trying to nip that practice in the bud... by a real hit to the wallet.

This is very common, unfortunately. Not to mention extremely rude.

Someone I know on-island is a concierge for high-end villa guests and told me a story from last year when the guests (10 of them) demanded a private chef for the Christmas Eve the day before. It was all but impossible, but he said he called in every favor he could and managed to get someone for them. After going back and forth about a menu that could be done (all done through a "handler" who was not even on-island) they were all set for the Christmas Eve dinner. The chef showed up with a few staff to help, with all the products for dinner, and the group... never showed up. They had ended up at someone else's villa and decided to stay there with no notice to the chef, let alone any sort of apology to anyone. (Yes, they got paid 100%, but the entitlement runs deep with some of these folks.)

This is very common, unfortunately. Not to mention extremely rude.

Someone I know on-island is a concierge for high-end villa guests and told me a story from last year when the guests (10 of them) demanded a private chef for the Christmas Eve the day before. It was all but impossible, but he said he called in every favor he could and managed to get someone for them. After going back and forth about a menu that could be done (all done through a "handler" who was not even on-island) they were all set for the Christmas Eve dinner. The chef showed up with a few staff to help, with all the products for dinner, and the group... never showed up. They had ended up at someone else's villa and decided to stay there with no notice to the chef, let alone any sort of apology to anyone. (Yes, they got paid 100%, but the entitlement runs deep with some of these folks.)

Totally agree . . . ugly behavior.