Family Villa in St Jean

AnneSBH

SBH Member
We are finally returning to SBH next summer and this time will bring our kids. We have stayed in St Jean (Villa Azu) and LOVED the view of Eden Rock and the airport. This time we were looking at Villa la Maison (WV MAI) but the agency told me there is a construction site right below (?) the villa and they don't know when it will be finished. Does anyone have any details on that? Or other suggestions for villas with 3br, killer views and a nice pool in the range of max $8k/week in the summer?

Hi Anne! We’ve stayed in villa Suite Maison in the past. The views are stellar with beautiful sunsets, and watching the planes take off and land is always fun. The villa is very nice, but only the bedrooms have A/C, which is fairly common. You do get some traffic noise from the main road from St Jean to Lorient below, but not unbearable. Somewhere in this villa forum is a picture of the exact crane sitting in front of the villa in question…I’m certain I’ve seen it. I will try to locate it for you. The ack ack noises can be annoying, IMO, and would probably be a deal breaker for me. Everyone is different though. Have fun villa shopping!

Gayle

Hi Anne! We’ve stayed in villa Suite Maison in the past. The views are stellar with beautiful sunsets, and watching the planes take off and land is always fun. The villa is very nice, but only the bedrooms have A/C, which is fairly common. You do get some traffic noise from the main road from St Jean to Lorient below, but not unbearable. Somewhere in this villa forum is a picture of the exact crane sitting in front of the villa in question…I’m certain I’ve seen it. I will try to locate it for you. The ack ack noises can be annoying, IMO, and would probably be a deal breaker for me. Everyone is different though. Have fun villa shopping!

Gayle

Thanks Gayle! That’s very helpful. Maybe we should stay clear of St Jean next summer just to be safe…

Check out L’Oiseau Bleu. New 3 bedroom villa in St Jean up the hill from Le Diamant restarant. Spectacular views.

I checked out the Villa La Maison online and back on our first visit, we actually stayed at the former villa (AUM) that is now the construction site you reference. The two are, or rather were, a stones throw. We drove up to it post Irma (so sad) and then this past May. Here's a picture we took just over four months ago. I can't imagine it will be substantially finished. The views were great, the road noise not too bad, but the access to the main road wasn't much fun - Line of sight and traffic.

Villa Maison is just behind the larger trees (to the immediate left of the pole) in the picture.

1-09a.jpg

Wow, this is super helpful, thank you! I agree the state of this plot does not look like it will be finished anytime soon and if the shortage of materials and labor in SBH is anywhere near as bad as in mainland Europe, it will probably be 2023 before this is finished. We'll look for something else for next summer and keep an eye out for the construction site - it's still our favorite view!

Wow, this is super helpful, thank you! I agree the state of this plot does not look like it will be finished anytime soon and if the shortage of materials and labor in SBH is anywhere near as bad as in mainland Europe, it will probably be 2023 before this is finished. We'll look for something else for next summer and keep an eye out for the construction site - it's still our favorite view!

Check this out nice villa for a family
https://www.wimco.com/villas/villa.aspx?pid=902715

As the search continues… I‘ve had to rule out a few beautiful villas (such as Micalao and Bayugita) because they didn’t have two bedrooms accessible from inside for our kids and us. Does anyone have experience with that? I don’t really remember - I think we kept everything unlocked all night and it wouldn’t have been a problem for anyone to get into our bedroom from outside (including a kid with nightmares ;)), but I’m not sure anymore! How have all of you with kids <10yrs handled the villa search?
Lastly: anyone stayed at Villa Kyody and can tell me if the upstairs „office“ (pull-out couch?) would be suitable for two kids (7&9)?
Thanks!!

I’ve stayed at Kyody with and without kids. The pullout is fine for a child, but the villa is very open air and you can’t necessarily lock it up entirely at night. I slept with one eye open when I stayed with my kids there. It has an incredible view and beautiful setting, but I don’t love it for young kids.

Case et Cuisine is somewhat below it overlooking Marigot. The views are not as expansive as being up higher, but it is a beautiful villa and has a very nice set up for a family.

For traveling with children, I also recommend Petit Pont at the top of Lurin. Amazing views, bedrooms under one roof, and a big pool for SBH. Lots of turtles and hermit crabs in the yard.

My head is spinning from all the options… ! Crystal Dream unfortunately isn’t available and the 3bdr in Les Ilets de la Plage doesn’t have a view, which we definitely want. Point taken about Kyody! Petit Pont looks like a very good option although I have to say the interior design is not my favorite- different websites have different photos though so not sure what the current design is. I also found Villa Paradis today which ticks a LOT of our boxes - except I’m unsure of the road noise! Has anyone been recently and can comment on it?

…and I forgot to mention: we stayed at Case et Cuisine maaaany years ago on our first trip to St Barth before we had kids. We LOVED it, fell in love with the island on that trip and may well return as a couple some other time - but for this trip the family requested sea views from the pool so unfortunately CEC is out. I loved being so close to Marigot Bay though and loved the relaxed Caribbean vibe at CEC!
Merci, Tiffany!

…and I forgot to mention: we stayed at Case et Cuisine maaaany years ago on our first trip to St Barth before we had kids. We LOVED it, fell in love with the island on that trip and may well return as a couple some other time - but for this trip the family requested sea views from the pool so unfortunately CEC is out. I loved being so close to Marigot Bay though and loved the relaxed Caribbean vibe at CEC!

Merci! I'm enjoying the Villa right now, and the relaxed Caribbean vibe is still here!

Villa La Gaillac has three bedrooms on the pool/living level and a larger master suite downstairs. I've rented it several times with my adult children. The view is glorious and it's a short five minute drive to Gustavia and St. Jean.