The long rowing voyage of Guirec Sondée

JEK

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 7.40.11 AM.jpg

The Costarmorican sailor touched his Breton land, Friday, October 1st in Brest, after 107 days of navigation at the Atlantic Ramage. Forty-and-one years later, he reiterated the feat of Gérard d'Aboville, who in 1980 was the first sailor to cross the Atlantic to the train.
It took him 107 days of effort. Friday 1st October, Guirec finally touched land after a long crossing of the Atlantic, to the train and solitary. A feat that few have accomplished. Especially twice in the same year! A first time from east to west, with a stopover in Saint-Barth on February 26, then from West to is from Cape Cod in the United States.

To welcome him on the Quai La Perugia of Brest at 14:30, more than eight hundred people made the trip. A minimum, given the performance achieved by the navigator from Plougrescant (Côtes de Ar- Mor) and 29 years old. In front of the crowd, his compane, family members and friends are also present to celebrate his return to the fold.

His adventure on the Atlantic began on December 14, 2020 when he started from the Canaries. 74 days later, he moored at Saint-Barthélemy after riding on more than 5,000 kilometers. To arrive so far, it had to face two depressions, two turns from his boat and ten days to drift locked in a 1.5 square meter habit.

When he arrives at Gusta Via (JSB1413), he lost nine kilos. The experience could have stopped there, but the sailor is not satiated. He announces that he will hesitate himself bring his Ship in Brittany, park consistent that it intends to cross the return. Always to the train, it goes without saying.

He then goes back to the North Atlantic by the mythical Route 41 borrowed by Gérard D'Aboville in 1980, up to Cape Cod in Massachusets. There he patients until the weather stops his whims. He finally flows on June 15th. Its intention is then to recover the currents of the Gulf Stream "to reach Europe as quickly as possible". Of course, the ocean and tropical depressions decide otherwise.

On July 3, taken in the throes of a storm, his vessel capsized again. "It was important not to let go, entrusts the browser to our confreres of West-France. But there I went after my limits. It was really hard to ration. Because, in this chapling, its clothes and a large part of its lyophilized food are swept away by the sea.

By miraculous, he managed to sprinkle his radio. But it puts 24 days to recover its GPS position. During this second crossing, he tells the telegram that he lost 14 kilos and eaten all his "Messay reserves". Another feat, to do not doubt it. "I went through so much. It's a miracle that I'm here with my boat. I have a good star above me. Despite his emotion on arrival, he has not forgotten to evoke Monique, his famous hen who had accompanied him during a previous expedition. "But fortunately she was not there, frankly," he slipped.

To reach the port of Brest, Guirec and his boat have been towed from the virtual finish line. "In the early morning, at sunrise, when I saw Ouessant, I had tears in my eyes, I did not believe," he told France 3 regions. "I fought, from the first to the last day. I knew I was going to get there, but what relief! I am the happiest in the world to have arrived in Brittany. »

No doubt for a short time since the young man has another dream: participate in the Globe Vente 2024. And as he has already bought his boat ...

A truly amazing feat for this young man. Can't wait to see what he pulls of next. Godspeed to him!