Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are forum members going for the Covid test in the US?

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2013 Posts: 159

Where are forum members going for the Covid test in the US?

Hey!

Last December it was a bit of mess to get my test results within the 72h window. What is everyone doing?
    Thanks!!!
    Last edited by amsmulko; 10-07-2021 at 11:02 PM. Reason: add "the"

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,654

Re: Where are forum members going for Covid test in the US?

We will be using CVS
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 1,056

We are going down in a few weeks...I have already investigated testing places near us. CVS offers testing as well as other pharmacies. We are planning on getting PCR test as well as the antigen test .....its been 2 1/2 years since we have been there and want to make sure we are good to go...
    Steve and Aimee

Re: CVS and Walgreens
    I was under the impression they can't guarentee PCR results for 3-5 days.

Thanks!!!

Re: Where are forum members going for the Covid test in the US?

Our neighborhood says one to two days for results.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,616

I am also interested in this question. Like others we are planning on a large drugstore chain.

Because our schools require testing for close contacts to return to class, we’ve noted that the quickest turn around is from CVS and RiteAid. Doctor’s office have been the slowest. The county health department indicated it’s lab back ups.

I get that in theory you can get the results back with 1-2 days from Walgreens/CVS but I think their stated policy is 3-5.

If I couldn't get them in time I couldn't recreate our travel plans for a day later (purchasing winair/sbc tickets at the last minute, etc.).

I heard from a friend on the island that this season will be super busy starting at the beginning of Nov. I'm going Dec 3rd so my experience of what options I have if I don't receive the results back in time are limited.

Last year I took 2 tests to have a better probability of getting my results back. One result came back just in the nick of time - the other result came back 4 hours after my entry into SBH.

Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by amsmulko; 10-07-2021 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Can no longer write posts as I have been optimizing and finalizing plans

When we were there in August, we took a PCR test at our local drive through testing site 3 days prior and followed it up with a rapid test the day prior to departure. We will be doing the same in a few weeks. The airlines are still in too much of a mess not to plan for a delay that would make our PCR tests too old.
    The meaning of life is to live it.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2005 Glen Cove, NY Posts: 6,276

[QUOTE=amsmulko;1052985]I get that in theory you can get the results back with 1-2 days from Walgreens/CVS but I think their stated policy is 3-5. into SBH.

CVS latest policy is 1-2 days. I just made our appointments for next Wednesday for the PCR test, and will let them know that we leave Saturday and really need the results quickly. You can make your appointment on their website.

Phil

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 7,933

are test results valid for 72 hours from when one receives results or from when one is tested?
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

From the date/time of the test. That's why getting the results in time is so critical.

If results take two days and you want result day before travel and you overnight in SJU, then your test is invalid upon reaching SBH. That’s some BS.

In NYC area MEDRITE. Antigen Test 25 minutes, RT PCR 12-18 hrs.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,570

Abbott labs has an antigen test that is administered through their website eMed where your id is scanned and your are directed through the test. At the end a live person certifies the test and sends email confirmation. Requires a audio/video on your device. 25 minutes.

https://www.emed.com/
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,472

Getting ours Wednesday at CVS

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,999

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    If results take two days and you want result day before travel and you overnight in SJU, then your test is invalid upon reaching SBH. That’s some BS.
    Folks are traveling all over the world and figuring this out just fine.

If you want something bad enough, you just get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    Getting ours Wednesday at CVS
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Folks are traveling all over the world and figuring this out just fine.
    My secretary flew to Canada a few weeks ago. She got her test at CVS and had a back up appointment for a $200 guaranteed in 30 minutes one. Got the CVS results in a day and cancelled the other appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Ditto
    see you on the other side!!!!

SBH Member Joined: Jun 2005 NC Posts: 250

Quote Originally Posted by marybeth View Post
    From the date/time of the test. That's why getting the results in time is so critical.
    It's 3 days. We traveled to St. Barts in August. Our flight was on Saturday and the earliest we could get the test was on Wednesday. It is not calculated on 72 hours exactly. We got our from our PCP and had the results back in two days. The eMed at home tests work great for returning.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 1,056

We are overnighting in San Juan and taking early flight on Tradewind next morning..so we need test within 72 hours of morning departure on Tradewind?...does American require any testing to fly into San Juan?
    Also assuming they check our test results upon entry into SBH when they check our passports?
    Haven’t been to the island in a while and want to make sure we are jumping through all the hoops correctly
    Steve and Aimee

We went through SJ in May and overnighted.

Back then, there was a form you needed to fill out online to leave the SJU. You have to download your results. They have testers there just in case. US ARMY is checking the code on your phone at the door. If it is red you can’t leave. If it’s green, because you downloaded your results, you can leave.
    I got it all done just before our plane took off We literally got our results as we sat on the plane to PR.
    You can get into PR with no results, but if you don’t download them within 3 days they charge you $600. Maybe things changed since May.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 932

CVS rapid antigen. Last time we were a little concerned because SXM requires the test to be done at an approved lab and we knew they had seen thousands of CVS tests so we went CVS. It was so convenient that we used again for Italy and will use later this month again for St Barth even though going through SJU. Heck, if taking a rapid antigen, the results are back so quickly that you can do the day before travel even

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 932

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Abbott labs has an antigen test that is administered through their website eMed where your id is scanned and your are directed through the test. At the end a live person certifies the test and sends email confirmation. Requires a audio/video on your device. 25 minutes.

So this is considered a "home test"? At one point in time, I didn't think SXM allowed home tests even if video monitored (the US does allow certain ones) but that may have changed. I am not sure of whether SJU or SBH allow approved home tests or not.

Edit: Looks like St Barths does not accept home tests unless the results are processed through a lab. From Tradewind's website:

OTHER REQUIREMENTS:

The government of St Barths considers a traveler fully vaccinated 1 week after the second shot of a double-injection vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca), 4 weeks after the shot of a single-injection vaccine (Johnson & Johnson), or 2 weeks after the first injection of a vaccine having previously had COVID-19.
    COVID test results should be typed and clearly specify the name of the laboratory, test subject name, date of birth, test date, type of test administered and how the test sample was obtained. Typed, written or e-mail statements from doctors or non-laboratories/testing facilities will not be accepted. If your test result is in the form of a doctor’s letter or hand-written form, please contact the testing facility to obtain a proper lab document. At-home COVID test results will not be accepted unless the swab is processed through a lab.
    Please note that if St Barths is not your final destination, you must comply with travel restrictions and protocols in place at your final destination. In-transit passengers in St Barths do not need to meet the St Barths entry requirements as long as they do not leave the terminal in St Barths between flights.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,850

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post

The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,670

For Puerto Rico, if you're overnighting, see https://www.travelsafe.pr.gov/

For Puerto Rico, if you're in transit and not leaving the airport, see Tradewind's Covid page https://www.flytradewind.com/about-t...ravel-updates/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    At-home COVID test results will not be accepted unless the swab is processed through a lab.
    Thank you for posting this! We were considering a home test but then thought it wouldn't work. A co-worker has used Pixel where you mail in the sample. Has anyone done one of these for SBH?

SBH Member Joined: May 2021 Posts: 34

Recently did a Walgreens test due to a work related exposure to covid. Results took SIX days!! I thought for sure they were lost and did another test after waiting five days. I have heard from others that this is not unusual for Walgreens.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,570

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    So this is considered a "home test"? At one point in time, I didn't think SXM allowed home tests even if video monitored (the US does allow certain ones) but that may have changed. I am not sure of whether SJU or SBH allow approved home tests or not.

Edit: Looks like St Barths does not accept home tests unless the results are processed through a lab. From Tradewind's website:

OTHER REQUIREMENTS:

The government of St Barths considers a traveler fully vaccinated 1 week after the second shot of a double-injection vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca), 4 weeks after the shot of a single-injection vaccine (Johnson & Johnson), or 2 weeks after the first injection of a vaccine having previously had COVID-19.
    COVID test results should be typed and clearly specify the name of the laboratory, test subject name, date of birth, test date, type of test administered and how the test sample was obtained. Typed, written or e-mail statements from doctors or non-laboratories/testing facilities will not be accepted. If your test result is in the form of a doctor’s letter or hand-written form, please contact the testing facility to obtain a proper lab document. At-home COVID test results will not be accepted unless the swab is processed through a lab.
    Please note that if St Barths is not your final destination, you must comply with travel restrictions and protocols in place at your final destination. In-transit passengers in St Barths do not need to meet the St Barths entry requirements as long as they do not leave the terminal in St Barths between flights.

From the eMed site:

Only with eMed can an individual taking a COVID-19 rapid antigen home test abroad receive CDC-accepted electronic documentation suitable for U.S. reentry. At $25 per test, plus shipping fees and taxes, the Home Test available at eMed.com is the most affordable, high-quality, and convenient rapid antigen test with validated results available to travelers.
    The eMed-administered test is a simple, self-administered test, supervised virtually by an eMed Certified Guide who oversees sample collection, the testing process and certified results reporting during a telehealth visit. If a test result is negative, the user receives a validated digital lab report to their email and a digital health pass in an app on their smart device.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023