Question about Philippe Masseglia and Le Guanahai restaurant

davesmom

Senior Insider
Bonjour! At Le Guanahani, we had a wonderful chef, Philippe Masseglia, and his wife, who also worked there. We became good friends every time we went back and Philippe was so personable and would always take time for us to spend visiting with him and his wife, and also giving us cooking lessons, etc. When Irma came, we were naturally worried about him as our hotel closed for the last 4 years. Then I read somewhere that he was a private chef for the Eden Rock villas! Does anyone know what he might be up to in 2021-2022? I know he is a triathlete of note and has been in France but I was wondering if anyone has been in contact with him?

Also, we noticed that Le Guanahani has now converted to a beach restaurant and the formal restaurant that was in the back does not seem to be there anymore. The beach restaurant (The Beach House) was a little outdoor resto in the sand with some nice music on occasion while we were there but this seems to be their only restaurant at this time (much enlarged), taking away the old pool restaurant where we had breakfast and lunch on occasion..yes, lobster lunch:laughing-cry:! I was wondering if anyone had spoken to the new owners about this big change; it seems like it is a full time "toes in the sand" experience..I am quite surprised that there seems to be no real formal restaurant there and there is only one choice, along with what seems to be a really nice beach bar. Many thanks in advance for any info you might have!

Gina, your post has the most information I have seen re this newly renovated landmark. Thanks so much for bringing it's latest blueprint up to date for all of us.

"A menu to be shared", "family-style plating". That's different... Perhaps they will no longer require long pants at dinner.

Not sure what Philippe is doing at the moment but his wife just took over as director of the St Barth Tourist Office, where she has been the interim director for a while...

cttsb.jpg

Not sure what Philippe is doing at the moment but his wife just took over as director of the St Barth Tourist Office, where she has been the interim director for a while...

View attachment 59146
This is so nice of you to share this wonderful news. She is a truly lovely person, as is her husband, and I am glad that they are staying on the island. I will have to make an effort to find the tourist office to say "hello". Thank you again!!

:devillaugh:
Phil, I am pretty sure you have read the tea leaves correctly; I am wondering if there isn't a push to the less formal side of things? Actually, we loved the formal dinner part of the old restaurant, but maybe they are having a "California moment". I wonder how bad the mosquitos and the gnats are on the beach in the evening, however. They were pretty bad at the old formal restaurant, though. Thank heavens for all of the good advice we got from Kevin et. al for Mosquito Milk, aka "Eau de Saint-Barth", of which I have multiple bottles, and I give them as gifts as well, to my traveling friends. (If anyone needs any, you can get it in America under the name "Net Effect" online. I kind of love the smell of it, and for anyone who has really sensitive skin as I do, you can literally sleep in it. Deet approx. 20% from what I understand but it really works!)

I am not sure if I will like the new resto but will give a report when I get there!

Phil, I am pretty sure you have read the tea leaves correctly; I am wondering if there isn't a push to the less formal side of things? Actually, we loved the formal dinner part of the old restaurant, but maybe they are having a "California moment". I wonder how bad the mosquitos and the gnats are on the beach in the evening, however. They were pretty bad at the old formal restaurant, though. Thank heavens for all of the good advice we got from Kevin et. al for Mosquito Milk, aka "Eau de Saint-Barth", of which I have multiple bottles, and I give them as gifts as well, to my traveling friends. (If anyone needs any, you can get it in America under the name "Net Effect" online. I kind of love the smell of it, and for anyone who has really sensitive skin as I do, you can literally sleep in it. Deet approx. 20% from what I understand but it really works!)

I am not sure if I will like the new resto but will give a report when I get there!

As a frame of reference, davesmom . . . Eden Rock eliminated its high-end restaurant & consolidated the concept with the more casual “Sand Bar” on the beach. It works very well! I expect that Guanahani — & Rosewood — will make the same happen there.

We may just book a week there next year to provide an embedded report!

We were reflecting back over dinner last night and think we spent our 25th, 30th and 35th at the G. Only fitting we have a visit in our 50th year!

The place looks great!

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 8.19.38 AM.jpg

Also, we noticed that Le Guanahani has now converted to a beach restaurant and the formal restaurant that was in the back does not seem to be there anymore. The beach restaurant (The Beach House) was a little outdoor resto in the sand with some nice music on occasion while we were there but this seems to be their only restaurant at this time (much enlarged), taking away the old pool restaurant where we had breakfast

I think the Beach House is where Indigo used to be, not the little place on the sand...

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:​
[FONT=&quot]More Rosewood 6th Night Complimentary

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
  • WHAT’S INCLUDED
  • Luxurious accommodations
  • Stay 5 nights, receive 6th night complimentary
  • Roundtrip airport / seaport transfer
  • Signature welcome beverage
  • Welcome amenity
  • Daily breakfast in the restaurant
  • Wi-Fi Internet access throughout the resort
  • Twice a day housekeeping service
  • Rosewood Explorers children’s program offering locally inspired activities
  • Access to Sense, A Rosewood Spa®
  • Outdoor tennis court lit for night-time play, including use of racquets and balls
  • Non-Motorized Water sports equipment
  • TERMS & CONDITIONS
  • Rates are subject to change and availability at time of booking; black-out dates may apply. Rates are not valid in conjunction with other offers or applicable to group bookings. Rates are based on single/double occupancy per bedroom per night and may vary by arrival date, room type and/or length of stay. Rates exclude applicable tax, gratuity and surcharge.

[/FONT]

We were reflecting back over dinner last night and think we spent our 25th, 30th and 35th at the G. Only fitting we have a visit in our 50th year!

The place looks great!
That is quite a big milestone on the horizon. An early congrats to you both!!!