C'est l'heure! It is really happening..we hope!

davesmom

Senior Insider
Well, let's get this party started..we are finally able to plan a trip back to everybody's happy place..this time in season for the first time to celebrate birthday and anniversary! We are coming at the end of January and back to my beloved Le Guanahani, now a Rosewood property. After 4 years or so, we have waited and hoped it will be as good as before. They were super nice and remembered us from our previous trips. As you probably know, the hotel prices are not what they were...but you only live once and we are not getting any younger:laughing-cry:. That being said, due to coming from the West coast and overnight flights "obligent", we took the ones with the least amount of layover; unfortunately it was too complicated to come on Delta (necessitating a zillion miles and a 28-34 hr. stopover on the way back for some ridiculous reason) so we booked American with trepidation...through SXM:eek:. We eschewed SJU because of the obligation to stay overnight in a hotel which would invoke their crazy health papers and did not want to deal with them, although we would have loved Tradewind. Who knows if it will be any easier for the paperwork through SXM by then..

Supposedly we arrive at 2:27 PM, and then we have to book a connecting flight. I have read various posts on Winair vs. SBH Commuter and we have only taken Winair with pretty good results in the past, but SBH Commuter looks to be very nice, so please let me know your opinions. Does anyone have any idea what a proper amount of time to get our baggage and recheck should be? Nowadays, it seems like everything takes soooo long wherever you go, and I am guessing Jan-Feb is a lot more crowded than normal, along with everybody checking paperwork, etc. I was kind of concerned because it gets dark rather early at that time of year and wanted to be sure not to take the last flight, either..no use spending the night in SXM if we can avoid it.

Hopefully, some of you will be down there at that time for a little meet and greet, and if Kevin is there, I owe him a nice bottle of pink Veuve and I am totally willing to pay off! I have to figure out where Albert has gone as he is no longer around the corner from us with our very loved La Gloriette..sounds like we might have to go into Gustavia, but this time, Davesdad does not get to handle the Rhum Vanille as he can't be trusted: he put it in his carry on last time and SXM was delighted to drink our Rhum Vanille themselves..! Looking forward to seeing Paradise!

Congratulations!

Check the https://stmaartenehas.com/ website for details on the required COVID testing and Pre-Approval for entry. AA will not board you if you do not have an EHAS approval, which is required for Transit passengers as well as stayovers.

I haven't transited through SXM in quite some time. My recollection is that St Barth Commuter will assist you with your luggage and expedite you through the process. Perhaps someone who has used them more recently can comment on the current process.

La Gloriette is still closed, but there is a building permit posted. I have no idea what the construction schedule is. Rumor has it that the new restaurant will be operated by Herve, most recently of Quartier General and Cote Port.

With checked luggage, SXM, & that time of year . . . I highly recommend that you used Premium IV’s “VIP” service. You will never regret it! I’ll be on SBH at the same time & will hope to have an opportunity to meet.

BTW, “around the corner” from you, next to site of former La Gloriette, is a charming, quite small, & informal place — Ti Corail. You’ll definitely want to give it a try at lunch. (“Search” the name here on the Forum . . . you’ll find numerous mentions of it, including from me.)

Congratulations!

. . . I haven't transited through SXM in quite some time. My recollection is that St Barth Commuter will assist you with your luggage and expedite you through the process. Perhaps someone who has used them more recently can comment on the current process.

La Gloriette is still closed, but there is a building permit posted. I have no idea what the construction schedule is. Rumor has it that the new restaurant will be operated by Herve, most recently of Quartier General and Cote Port.

I think that you’re correct, Kevin, in your recollection of the transit service provided by St. Barth Commuter . . . at least, I believe it was true in the past season for travelers from SBH to SXM. Not sure about arrivals on flights from the US.

Re: schedule for Hervé’s opening at La Gloriette location . . . unsure about construction (i.e., hammering & loud work), but his goal is to be open for Bucket 2022 (March 17 - 20).

Thank you so much for this info! I will look into Premium IV, as I have known of them quite awhile, as well as SBH Commuter. Maybe I should get in touch with them to find out what they actually do for you, too. I was happy to hear about Ti Corail, and I know we will be delighted to try it. Does anyone know where La Gloriette Rhum Vanille is available if La Gloriette, the restaurant is closed? I thought I had read about their place moving to Gustavia, but perhaps I am mistaken. I have been checking out that EHAS form and that will hopefully go well..I only worry about that 72 hour window of us getting our Covid tests because of possible delays, etc., which I why I took AA. (People tell me that is an awful airline and they do not help you if things go wrong..). If you have any new special restaurants that we should be aware of (I read something about Papillon Ivre that sounded great but was not sure if they were a pop up and would be there at that time), we would appreciate the information. I know Kevin is our go-to for all things restaurant, and we will hit some old favorites (missing Manu, Andy, Hafida, etc.), but looking forward to new experiences! Merci encore une fois!

With checked luggage, SXM, & that time of year . . . I highly recommend that you used Premium IV’s “VIP” service. You will never regret it! I’ll be on SBH at the same time & will hope to have an opportunity to meet.

BTW, “around the corner” from you, next to site of former La Gloriette, is a charming, quite small, & informal place — Ti Corail. You’ll definitely want to give it a try at lunch. (“Search” the name here on the Forum . . . you’ll find numerous mentions of it, including from me.)

Super looking forward to meeting up! Thank you! My husband agrees with the assessment of using Premium IV, too.. the things you learn about someone after so many years, still surprises me!:laughing-cry:

Sandra, Albert's daughter, is at Cafe Gloriette, across from the Post Office in Gustavia. La Gloriette Rhum is available there, and you can probably find it in the grocery stores too.

La Gloriette rhum is widely available in many grocery stores . . . also at Café Gloriette in Gustavia, approximately across from side of the Post Office. (Great, healthy food there, as well . . . breakfast & lunch.)

Sandra, Albert's daughter, is at Cafe Gloriette, across from the Post Office in Gustavia. La Gloriette Rhum is available there, and you can probably find it in the grocery stores too.
Finally, I understand what happened to La Gloriette! I will be sure to go by there as I loved that little place on Grand Cul de Sac. It seems so nice to purchase the Rhum Vanille "on site". My first experience with Rhum Vanille was at Andy's/The Hideaway..boy, do I miss that place. It was not even there the last time we went, but there are such good "first night" memories..we will need a new "first night" tradition!

DM, Cafe Gloriette has a very different menu (and atmosphere) than the beachfront La Gloriette had. The cafe is a special place in its own right, and many here think very highly of Sandra, but it’s not a reincarnation of La Gloriette in town. They do have lots of rhum though.

La Gloriette was wiped out by Irma, but the building housing the rum shop and the toilets was mostly spared. Rumor has it that Albert explored multiple options for leasing the property, but none worked out. Until this one. How long it has been in the works is for Albert or Hervé to say, but it appears to be more real than anything which has happened to the property since Irma.

At one point I suggested to several people that the quickest way to reopen La Gloriette would be to bring in a food truck. The kitchen at the pre-Irma La Gloriette was tiny anyway, the building housing the toilets still existed, the cost of new picnic tables and umbrellas or palapas would be minimal, and a food truck could be driven inland in the event of a hurricane. I never spoke with Albert, and if the suggestion ever made it to his ears then perhaps he didn’t think much of the idea. I’m amused that the former O’Corail next door, downsized and reinvented as ‘Ti Corail, describes themselves as a food truck without wheels.

Sandra's IG featues some of her colorful creations, including son Noah!

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 7.57.11 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 7.59.07 AM.jpg

Wonderful!
Well, let's get this party started..we are finally able to plan a trip back to everybody's happy place..this time in season for the first time to celebrate birthday and anniversary! We are coming at the end of January and back to my beloved Le Guanahani, now a Rosewood property. After 4 years or so, we have waited and hoped it will be as good as before. They were super nice and remembered us from our previous trips. As you probably know, the hotel prices are not what they were...but you only live once and we are not getting any younger:laughing-cry:. That being said, due to coming from the West coast and overnight flights "obligent", we took the ones with the least amount of layover; unfortunately it was too complicated to come on Delta (necessitating a zillion miles and a 28-34 hr. stopover on the way back for some ridiculous reason) so we booked American with trepidation...through SXM:eek:. We eschewed SJU because of the obligation to stay overnight in a hotel which would invoke their crazy health papers and did not want to deal with them, although we would have loved Tradewind. Who knows if it will be any easier for the paperwork through SXM by then..

Supposedly we arrive at 2:27 PM, and then we have to book a connecting flight. I have read various posts on Winair vs. SBH Commuter and we have only taken Winair with pretty good results in the past, but SBH Commuter looks to be very nice, so please let me know your opinions. Does anyone have any idea what a proper amount of time to get our baggage and recheck should be? Nowadays, it seems like everything takes soooo long wherever you go, and I am guessing Jan-Feb is a lot more crowded than normal, along with everybody checking paperwork, etc. I was kind of concerned because it gets dark rather early at that time of year and wanted to be sure not to take the last flight, either..no use spending the night in SXM if we can avoid it.

Hopefully, some of you will be down there at that time for a little meet and greet, and if Kevin is there, I owe him a nice bottle of pink Veuve and I am totally willing to pay off! I have to figure out where Albert has gone as he is no longer around the corner from us with our very loved La Gloriette..sounds like we might have to go into Gustavia, but this time, Davesdad does not get to handle the Rhum Vanille as he can't be trusted: he put it in his carry on last time and SXM was delighted to drink our Rhum Vanille themselves..! Looking forward to seeing Paradise!

Sandra's IG featues some of her colorful creations, including son Noah!

It is so nice of you to share these photos, which look absolutely delicious! (And healthy!) I'm sure they must have all the calories taken out, too! Yes, Kevin, I totally agree that a food truck while rebuilding would have been a great idea if they could feel comfortable doing it. It was curious that Ti Corail was able to rebuild but Irma was such a truly horrible shock to all, I can understand some reluctance to start over. It looks like there will be a nice collab with Hervé and Albert and of course, not a moment too soon for those that loved the old La Gloriette.

So glad you’ve booked your trip back to paradise, Gina - Woohoo!! That being said, we are really sorry we won’t get to see you in April. You’ll have an over the top birthday and anniversary trip, no doubt! We will look forward to some great trip reporting from you!

So glad you’ve booked your trip back to paradise, Gina - Woohoo!! That being said, we are really sorry we won’t get to see you in April. You’ll have an over the top birthday and anniversary trip, no doubt! We will look forward to some great trip reporting from you!
My only regret is that we will miss our trip with you! Well, the only way to remedy that is for you to come here, Gayle!! We will work on that for sure! (Bring your sticks..!:blush-smile:)

SBH is also our favorite destination for celebrating ANYTHING!
I so agree! That is why we decided to splurge as we missed out for our 45th last year...the memories from SBH can sustain you through tough times, for sure. And really, what else do we have in life but making memories?!!:heart1:

Hey!!!
Can anyone confirm that spending the night and going via SJU means more tests/papers? EWR has a really well located (almost within the terminal airport) hotel (Marriott). Does SJU have something similiar?
Thanks!!!

PS Last year I flew to ORD-EWR, spent the night and flew EWR-SXM the next morning with an afternoon SXM-SBH flight. United wouldn't let me board the domestic flight (ORD-EWR) without the EHAS (SXM) so I had 48 hours instead of 72hours to get PCR tested, get the result and then get my EHAS approval. Good luck!!!

I am totally concerned about the paperwork and I definitely got the impression that I would need the EHAS before I got on the plane from SAN..I am not sure how I will get this all worked out for sure as we would have to get the test in California in time to be within the 72 hours and then apply for the EHAS form..crazy. I was also concerned that since we are leaving SBH on a Tuesday, when and where would I get the Covid test to return to the US? I just read in Le Journal about the Red Cross site in St Jean and the specific times you had to be there if you wanted the RC-PCR test. I do not know how long it takes to get that test back and I am thinking that as things stand now, we would have to do it on Saturday? Or Monday? Do you have to get an EHAS form then while in SBH to transit through SXM to go back to the US? I am sure someone has already answered these questions but since everything changes frequently, I will need the most up to date info, and thank you in advance to those who have shared their experiences. Premium IV might be a good source to consult as I believe we will engage them for the first time. (I hope these questions are not too convoluted..:grin1:! Just hoping these requirements somehow disappear in the next few months...:rolleyes:)