Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vaccinated and arriving

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2003 Fairfield County, Connecticut Posts: 546

Vaccinated and arriving

I’ve had the three Moderna shots and my partner has had two. We’re arriving in seven weeks. We’re staying in a villa as usual and look forward to the time together and being alone. It may be a bit different than our 14 previous visits but it’s that important to us. We’ll be there despite the hoops. Life is precious and short.
    Always planning my next trip.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2016 Long Island Posts: 880

Re: Vaccinated and arriving

Excellent. The challenges of the world should never stop us from living life to the fullest. I look forward to your sharing your experiences 7 weeks from now. Enjoy and see you on the beach in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldold25 View Post
    I’ve had the three Moderna shots and my partner has had two. We’re arriving in seven weeks. We’re staying in a villa as usual and look forward to the time together and being alone. It may be a bit different than our 14 previous visits but it’s that important to us. We’ll be there despite the hoops. Life is precious and short.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2010 Philadelphia and Fire Island, NY Posts: 1,134

Good for you. I've also decided to get back to travel and the rest of a normal life as much as possible in 2022. We're scheduled for SBH in February. Can't wait.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy." - Dorothy Parker

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,470

It is no different except for the 5 minutes more of showing a card and getting tested before you come back

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,608

We are also planning to be in SBH in 7 weeks time. Man, it feels good typing those words....

Will continue to be as cautious and careful as possible, but agree we need to adjust to the new "normal" and get back to travelling.

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2017 Westchester, NY Posts: 140

We'll be there in 8 weeks - fingers crossed!
    Recommendations for purchasing a turkey on the island? It will be our first Thanksgiving in paradise.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,544

I would preorder with Chef's Market in Public.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.10.32 AM.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  257.0 KB
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: May 2004 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 3,608

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyTraveler View Post
    Recommendations for purchasing a turkey on the island? It will be our first Thanksgiving in paradise.
    We've spent several Thanksgivings in paradise and would often do Maya's for dinner. Alas, no more.
    If we didn't do Maya's we just cooked a bird when we got home.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,179

We'll be there in 8 weeks - fingers crossed!
    If the new incarnation of “Maya’s to Go” is open, which seems likely, you probably can get a prepared turkey, with trimmings, there. Kiki e Mo might do the same thing. I got “the works” to-go from a local restaurant several years ago for Thanksgiving . . . it was very nice to be able to spend time with guests instead of cooking.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 7,910

we always have lobster for thanksgiving, so grilled langouste an easy island substitute. and turkey defies happy wine pairing. always content with a nice white burgundy with grilled langouste
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    we always have lobster for thanksgiving, so grilled langouste an easy island substitute. and turkey defies happy wine pairing. always content with a nice white burgundy with grilled langouste
    Sounds like a delicious tradition!

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 932

Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    If the new incarnation of “Maya’s to Go” is open, which seems likely, you probably can get a prepared turkey, with trimmings, there. Kiki e Mo might do the same thing. I got “the works” to-go from a local restaurant several years ago for Thanksgiving . . . it was very nice to be able to spend time with guests instead of cooking.
    Not to Hijack the thread, but HOLD THE PHONE...there is a new incarnation of Maya's to Go coming!!! I must have missed this. That is music to my ears

SBH Member Joined: Feb 2008 Connecticut Posts: 378

We arrive in 37 days...can't wait...rhum festival one week, gourmet festival the next. Oh, and the beaches...

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2017 Westchester, NY Posts: 140

Thank you JEK - will reach out to Chef's Market.

cec, you're so right. I can't imagine not cooking our Thanksgiving meal but I'd be plenty thankful if we allow someone else do it this year!

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,544

Thank you JEK - will reach out to Chef's Market.

cec, you're so right. I can't imagine not cooking our Thanksgiving meal but I'd be plenty thankful if we allow someone else do it this year!
    You may remember the owner/operator - Franck Mathevet of Wall House & Le Carré fame. During the holidays he imports all types of special foods and treats.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 1,051

37 days for us also...so excited to finally be going back!!!!
    Steve and Aimee

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
    Not to Hijack the thread, but HOLD THE PHONE...there is a new incarnation of Maya's to Go coming!!! I must have missed this. That is music to my ears
    YES, Jim! The lease / improvements were bought in a deal that closed early September, & it will be operated by Eden Rock . . . dual purpose: (a) continuing as a great “to go” option & (b) as a kitchen to serve expanding needs of clients of “Eden Rock Villas.” Everyone’s happy!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,632

YES, Jim! The lease / improvements were bought in a deal that closed early September, & it will be operated by Eden Rock . . . dual purpose: (a) continuing as a great “to go” option & (b) as a kitchen to serve expanding needs of clients of “Eden Rock Villas.” Everyone’s happy!
    Terrific. I had not realized that the public will still be able to take advantage of 'to go' dining.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

Definitely "to go" dining, as the plan was explained to me, Amy. Quite an expanded offering for drop-in customers -- a full breakfast menu, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    You may remember the owner/operator - Franck Mathevet of Wall House & Le Carré fame. During the holidays he imports all types of special foods and treats.
    at Maya’s spot? I suspected by the rumor mill…

22 days!

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    at Maya’s spot? I suspected by the rumor mill…
    Eve . . . I'm not sure where you were in the "Maya's vs. no-Maya's" camp, so am unsure if you know the turnoff from the main road that went down to Maya's Restaurant. In any event, just before that turn to the left -- assuming that you're coming up from Public -- Franck's business ("Chef's Market") is on the right. Primarily wholesale, he welcomes individuals, as well.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 1,993

Brilliant! My favorite thing and I hate turkey..we should follow your tradition! Thank you for sharing!
    Strangers are friends you haven't met yet.

Our family of 4 will be there for Thanksgiving this year too...and we've been getting in the habit of non-traditional Thanksgivings and will definitely be thinking non-turkey for dinner. I'm contemplating Fouquet's or Atelier Joel Robuchon for that Thursday...

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,632

And also reading LeNews to see what restaurants are celebrating our Thanksgiving holiday with special dinners.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Member Joined: Sep 2017 Atlanta Posts: 27

We too, will be there for Thanksgiving. We always are on the Island in February, and still have our trip scheduled for then. Decided to take this earlier trip because of what happened this year when our trip was cancelled this past February. Remembering how cases went so crazy after Christmas and New Years, we are little apprehensive about what might happen early in 2022. From what I understood, a lot of the cases that were brought in, were from the visitors who came in on yachts,etc, because they were not checked for testing results. Does anyone know how this is being handled now? When boats arrive are passengers required to show test results? Probably should just take one trip at a time, but have been curious about this for awhile. Sounds like there will be lots of happy people on the Island for Thanksgiving. We so missed our happy place and can’t wait to get back. Thanks to all for keeping us in the loop to Island happenings.

SBH Insider Joined: Jan 2017 NY Posts: 932

Thanks that is great. Hope I can afford the "to go" sandwiches!!!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 1,993

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Really loved Le Carré and Franck! Does he have a current restaurant as well as the Chef’s Market? Do they have prepared take out food at his Market?
    Strangers are friends you haven't met yet.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,650

Quote Originally Posted by davesmom View Post
    Really loved Le Carré and Franck! Does he have a current restaurant as well as the Chef’s Market? Do they have prepared take out food at his Market?
    DM, I have talked with Franck about this. In his opinion, he cannot have a business which sells to chefs, while at the same time having a business which competes with them. However, who knows what tomorrow brings for opportunities.

Chef's Market, in my experience, does not have prepared foods.

SBH Member Joined: Nov 2012 Florida Posts: 75

Congrats! We thought we would be the only ones ... We are due back Mid Oct. usually never away for more than six months, the withdrawals are real! Two years since touching ground and this has been our longest time away in over fifteen years.