Aerial Video: Carrington Tract, Fire Island, NY

Jim Kelly-Evans

Senior Insider
I filmed this with my drone at our summer home location on Fire island, NY recently. The video shows the Carrington Tract, a wilderness area situated in between the communities of Cherry Grove and the Fire Island Pines on Fire Island, NY. The tract is a part of the National Seashore and the national park system. The video shows the relative size and location of the tract, the tree canopy and other vegetation, and the labyrinth of foot trails known as "The Meat Rack" that exists underneath the canopy. The foot trails have been a meeting place for members of the gay male community on Fire Island for decades. While the NPS (National Park System) is an SUAS (drone) no-fly zone, the 17 communities on Fire Island predate the establishment of the Fire Island National Seashore and remain a part of New York State. NPS regulations forbid drone operations in or on park lands, however drones launched and landed from outside the park boundaries (private or state property) can legally fly in the national airspace over parklands.

I filmed this with my drone at our summer home location on Fire island, NY recently. The video shows the Carrington Tract, a wilderness area situated in between the communities of Cherry Grove and the Fire Island Pines on Fire Island, NY. The tract is a part of the National Seashore and the national park system. The video shows the relative size and location of the tract, the tree canopy and other vegetation, and the labyrinth of foot trails known as "The Meat Rack" that exists underneath the canopy. The foot trails have been a meeting place for members of the gay male community on Fire Island for decades. While the NPS (National Park System) is an SUAS (drone) no-fly zone, the 17 communities on Fire Island predate the establishment of the Fire Island National Seashore and remain a part of New York State. NPS regulations forbid drone operations in or on park lands, however drones launched and landed from outside the park boundaries (private or state property) can legally fly in the national airspace over parklands.

Nicely done, Jim . . . and a beautiful area!

IMG_20190823_124927_999.jpg

Walked this a bunch during my home/business inspection days.
(Also? Miss my Hobie 16)

Nice work, Jim

And Fire Island is special for me because while there for a visit son Richard invited his now wife Sandi to share his blanket on the sand about 25 years ago.