Grand Saline Dunes and Hillsides

tgdallas

SBH Member
Still reflecting on my trip from a few weeks ago. I was glad to see the dune work that has been done but one thing that really struck me is how different the hillsides look. Couldn’t put my finger on it exactly until I was flipping through a St. Barth photo book and compared a photo of Saline from years ago and a current photo of mine. The top picture is from the photo book and the bottom photo is mine. So many trees are gone!

D349C8C9-1EB2-4A35-B6AC-B67A7067F579.jpeg

I need help here . . . local directional (& map) signs vary between “Saline” & “Salines.” Is there a correct way & a wrong one?

The question takes me back to my former usage of L’Orient . . . which now has migrated in popular usage to “Lorient” (in this regard, I “swear” that in my early years of visiting SBH, beginning in 1978, the area was definitively — including local sign markers — “L’Orient”).

The plural of “Saline,” thus seems to be related to Grande Saline & Anse de Grande Saline.

TG Dallas,
The difference between the two photos may not reflect a loss of trees. The difference may simply reflect the different seasons when the photos were taken. Shrubs and bushes look full in the rainy season, and grow to cover a hillside. During the dry season, the hillsides look arid and unvegetated -- but once the rains return, the greenery again covers the hillsides.

I need help here . . . local directional (& map) signs vary between “Saline” & “Salines.” Is there a correct way & a wrong one?

The question takes me back to my former usage of L’Orient . . . which now has migrated in popular usage to “Lorient” (in this regard, I “swear” that in my early years of visiting SBH, beginning in 1978, the area was definitively — including local sign markers — “L’Orient”).

Dennis, a thread on Lorient vs. L’Orient https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/99442-The-Survival-of-People-and-Languages

I borrowed the referenced book from the JEK Lending Library, and later bought my own copy. It is an interesting book for anyone who is very interested in the history of St Barth. For the occasional visitor, perhaps not.