Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: An Old Resto List - Many Are Gone

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,605

An Old Resto List - Many Are Gone

I found an old Vendome Guide, #28, circa 2006. It included a Pocket Directory, which had a 2-page restaurant list. Many are gone, but some still survive. 2005/2006 is about the time when Moderator Emeritus Tim asked the forum just how many restaurants there are on the island, which is what led me to creating my own list. At that time, I believe that the answer to Tim's question was 84. Today, counting takeout places and bars where you can get a bite to eat, the number is closer to 100.

Name:  Resto List 2006 Vendome Guide.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  334.5 KB

After a quick look, this is what I see:

In Anse des Cayes, Chez Yvon is still there. Le Manapany is still there, with a renamed restaurant.

In Flamands, La Langouste is still there, with the others now part of Cheval Blanc.

In Grand Cul de Sac, none survive, but the restaurant names for the soon-to-reopen Rosewood Gunahani are unknown. Le Sereno is still there, with a renamed restaurant.

In Gustavia, Bar de L'Oubli, La Bete a Z'ailes (BAZ), La Creperie, Eddy’s, L'Entracte, Repaire, and Le Select are still there. The Carl Gustaf is still there, with a renamed restaurant.

In Lorient, Jojo Burger is the sole survivor. After many changes, Le Bouchon is back as a new restaurant.

In Public, Maya's has recently closed, with the future still unknown.

In Point Milou, Le Ti St Barth is still there, but did not open for the 2020-2021 season. The restaurants at Le Chris are still there, but have been renamed.

In St Jean, Eden Rock is still there, with a totally new restaurant. Tom Beach is now Pearl Beach, with a new restaurant. Also surviving are Kiki-e-Mo, Nikki Beach, Le Piment, and La Plage.

In Saline, Esprit de Saline survives as L'Esprit de Jean Claude, and Grain de Sel and Tamarin are both still there.

In Toiny, Le Toiny is still there, with a name change to the restaurant, and the addition of their Beach Club.

In Vitet, 3 Forces has faded away, now said to be housing for the staff at Le Guanahani.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,353

Re: An Old Resto List - Many Are Gone

Ah, the good old days!
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,045

One might say that most of them are gone!

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 7,830

Kevin, is le Grain de Sel not one of very few that still exists in same way and with same ownership/management (not just recycled name) ?
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

Also, Baz Bar, Le Repaire, Eddy’s and Le Select - still in the family.

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,427

Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    Kevin, is le Grain de Sel not one of very few that still exists in same way and with same ownership/management (not just recycled name) ?
    Along with Eddy's, Au Regal (not on the list), Chez Yvon, Kiki è Mo... the single owner places are fading rapidly as all the groups are buying up the businesses...

Quote Originally Posted by cec1 View Post
    One might say that most of them are gone!
    True.

Thumbing through the Villa section, I found Villa CEC on page 68.

I think that Repaire and Bar de l'Oubli also have the same owners.

SBH Member Joined: Apr 2011 Pittsburgh, PA USA Posts: 89

I remember a place called Boubou I think, but I can't remember where it was. Also, does anyone know where La Marine was? On the "other" side of the harbor?

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,521

boubou...Choisy and Buns site

marine..near bagatelle
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH New Member Joined: Jun 2021 Posts: 7

Wow. I had a recent text exchange with friends going through a list of restaurants that we miss on SBH. I had forgotten about some of these. Thank you so much for posting KevinS. It brought back memories of some really enjoyable evenings. And, one not so enjoyable evening when I overindulged on cocktails, had to go pass out in the back of our rented Suzuki Jimney, and leave the rest of party still enjoying dinner at Le Sapotillier!

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    boubou...Choisy and Buns site

marine..near bagatelle
    Actually Boubou was at Le Sereno, same dining room with that ultra high ceiling, he also hosted a cool world music festival there a few summers in conjunction with Yannick Noah

and La Marine was way further around on la pointe, I'd say sort of across from where Kinugawa is now... there were various places over there at times, Jungle Cafe, Yacht Club, Caraibe Cafe... all gone, as are the buildings themselves...

The Choisy/Buns site was K'fe Massai then a few other things including La Table de Jules and who knows what else?

If you look at the webcam linked below, La Marine was on the far side of the harbor, more or less across from the palm tree in the foreground.

K’fe Massaï first came on my radar around 1999 or 2000, and I dined there regularly. I don’t recall what might have been there before that. After K’fe Massaï, it operated as Le Massaï for a bit, and then became La Table de Jules. There was one more restaurant there before Thierry and team opened up the second Boulangerie Choisy at that location, Boca Loca. I’m certain that I never tried either Table de Jules or Boca Loca.

As to Boubou’s place at Le Sereno, was it called Boubou’s or West Indies Café? I’m remembering both names.

Quote Originally Posted by elgreaux View Post
    Actually Boubou was at Le Sereno, same dining room with that ultra high ceiling, he also hosted a cool world music festival there a few summers in conjunction with Yannick Noah

and La Marine was way further around on la pointe, I'd say sort of across from where Kinugawa is now... there were various places over there at times, Jungle Cafe, Yacht Club, Caraibe Cafe... all gone, as are the buildings themselves...

The Choisy/Buns site was K'fe Massai then a few other things including La Table de Jules and who knows what else?
    Thanks! Those locations are about where I thought they were, but wasn't exactly sure. And yes, that ceiling is what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    If you look at the webcam linked below, La Marine was on the far side of the harbor, more or less across from the palm tree in the foreground.

K’fe Massaï first came on my radar around 1999 or 2000, and I dined there regularly. I don’t recall what might have been there before that. After K’fe Massaï, it operated as Le Massaï for a bit, and then became La Table de Jules. There was one more restaurant there before Thierry and team opened up the second Boulangerie Choisy at that location, Boca Loca. I’m certain that I never tried either Table de Jules or Boca Loca.

As to Boubou’s place at Le Sereno, was it called Boubou’s or West Indies Café? I’m remembering both names.
    Wonderful. And there was a pizza place nearby, right? Was it upstairs? I remember having a white pizza with ham and an egg.

Pizza with an egg. We sometimes ordered our pizzas with "supplement oeuf", an extra egg, so that we could both enjoy one without having to share, LOL.

There were many iterations of a restaurant next door to La Marine. I could list a few, but it doesn't matter. In the late 80's/early 90's it was L'Escale. It eventually became Saladerie, loved by many here. When Saladerie closed, Manu from Santa Fe bought the pizza oven, but never used it. A few years later, when Thierry and friends reopened as Harbours Saladerie, they got the old pizza oven back.

The last time that I saw the location for both La Marine and Saladerie, they were a construction site. I don't know the current status.

And across the street from those places, before it was Ti Zouk Cafe and a few other things, there was a good restaurant called L'Entrepont... anyone remember that?

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 7,045

And across the street from those places, before it was Ti Zouk Cafe and a few other things, there was a good restaurant called L'Entrepont... anyone remember that?
    . . . certainly do! Many of the crowd that hung out at Chez Francine at lunchtime would migrate there in the evening. Included among them was Valérie Paquay, Chez Francine’s much loved, beautiful blonde waitress (later at Black Swan in St. Jean ‘til her very sad, early passing from cancer). I loved the place . . . so serene! We wrote about it in “Case et Cuisine” (p. 29).

Yes. After Hurricane Luis it was Chez Francine for lunch, and then L'Entrepont for dinner.

Pizza with an egg. We sometimes ordered our pizzas with "supplement oeuf", an extra egg, so that we could both enjoy one without having to share, LOL.

There were many iterations of a restaurant next door to La Marine. I could list a few, but it doesn't matter. In the late 80's/early 90's it was L'Escale. It eventually became Saladerie, loved by many here. When Saladerie closed, Manu from Santa Fe bought the pizza oven, but never used it. A few years later, when Thierry and friends reopened as Harbours Saladerie, they got the old pizza oven back.

The last time that I saw the location for both La Marine and Saladerie, they were a construction site. I don't know the current status.
    L'Escale! That's it. Thanks!

Yes. After Hurricane Luis it was Chez Francine for lunch, and then L'Entrepont for dinner.
    do you mean "before" Hurricane Luis? I seem to recall that Chez Francine did not reopen after Luis??? But of course I could be wrong...

Chez Francine temporarily relocated to L’Entrepont after their St Jean location was destroyed by Luis. I don’t know that it even lasted a year there.

Chez Francine temporarily relocated to L’Entrepont after their St Jean location was destroyed by Luis. I don’t know that it even lasted a year there.
    gottcha, I don't remember that at all, but I bet it wasn't the same not on the beach!

gottcha, I don't remember that at all, but I bet it wasn't the same not on the beach!
    That is probably why it didn’t last long.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 490

Before our time, but glanced at our copy of "Case...." Where on St Jean was Cafe Francine?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLynn View Post
    Before our time, but glanced at our copy of "Case...." Where on St Jean was Cafe Francine?
    I feel it was near Pearl Beach, a little closer to Eden Rock and also featured a swim-to float for a lunch on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLynn View Post
    Chez Francine.. but looking at the water it was to the left of where Pearl Beach is now... in front of the little gray house to the left of the beach path to the Pearl Beach resto...

Next door to Chez Francine, a little closer to ER, was Bamboo. I patronized both.

SBH Member Joined: Sep 2017 Richmond, Va Posts: 73

brings back memories....chez francine was the site of our first dining experience on St Bart's........a great lunch on the beach....
    Chiz
    Richmond, VA

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,521

Quote Originally Posted by chiz View Post
    brings back memories....chez francine was the site of our first dining experience on St Bart's........a great lunch on the beach....
    A better experience than ours..we had sand fleas and chickens ruining a lunch for us.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.