L’Atelier Joel Robuchon

cec1

Senior Insider
Well, it happened another time! After concluding a meeting in Gustavia, about 1 PM I decided to go to Café Gloriette. Unfortunately, I discovered that it’s September hours are 7:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Le Repaire was closed . . . not sure why — maybe a vacation? Le Select & Le Bar de L’Oubli don’t draw me for food. Cantina was open . . . and packed! So, as happened a couple of weeks ago, I found myself knocking on the Robuchon door. And, YES! A seat was available. FB586C06-7466-49A3-8E91-C9BE85F7492B.jpg

Armed with a great glass of Perrier-Jouët Rosé Champagne, I decided to go the à la carte route, rather than the prix fixe menu.

This visit makes 4 or 5 times that I’ve enjoyed L’Atelier in the past two / three months (lunches & dinners), so I thought that I’d seize the moment to offer thoughts.

The spaces (upstairs & down) are exquisitely designed, with stunning furnishings and service items. It competes very favorably with Fouquet’s St. Barths . . . even a tad better, I think. The quality of food items also is wonderful . . . not “to die for,” but really, really impressive.

Today I was offered an amuse bouche — delicious watermelon soup, topped with an emulsion of frothy, whipped egg whites.6867B16D-A2C4-44D8-9EEB-733E2D339BF1.jpg
. . . followed by a refreshing — on a very hot September St. Barths afternoon! — bowl of strawberry gazpacho with chunks of ewe milk cheese, delightful in every respect (especially because ewe milk, I learned, is compatible with dairy intolerance).8A485807-0782-49DC-9B66-D1EEE6C1B9A0.jpg
. . . “main course” (actually, another “starter”) was gluten free spaghetti in an unbelievably rich sauce of fresh tomatoes & basil (this item, I would say, was “to die for!”).53B44760-B5E7-401B-A552-EF15200033B6.jpg

No dessert . . . looking forward to a dinner at a local friend’s home, which will be very special, I know.

Proverbial “bottom line,” I had a genuinely friendly conversation at the end of my meal with manager (& very beautiful) Agathe . . . explaining to her that my great appreciation of the place is tempered by some unevenness in the service. While there is a woman server who has helped me numerous times, whose attention to the experience that I have found has been notable on each occasion that I’ve been in the restaurant, there has been someone each time — usually a young male, second-string server, who lacks the appropriate tact & grace to rise to the level that L’Atelier ascribes to. Agathe engaged very well in this discussion, acknowledging that there still are ‘kinks” (my word) to be worked out.

On the whole, there’s no doubt that Robuchon rises to an incredible level on St. Barths. Not inexpensive . . . nor is SBH.

Attachments

• DD985C62-B648-4A77-8726-2AD34B32EF01.jpg
    DD985C62-B648-4A77-8726-2AD34B32EF01.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 1,417
Love this place! and what great pics of the food Dennis. When I left last week, the hostess said that we girls should come back soon for their lunch special....60 euros per person. we plan on doing this very soon as this restaurant is not closing for the season...yes!!!!

L’Atelier Jöel Robuchon is in Gustavia on Rue Bord du Mer, just after La Cantina and L’Entracte, on the same side of the street. The back side of it is the former Galawa/Pipiri Palace location.

Phil and I enjoyed our perch at that very table overlooking the harbor and set between the two hanging signs. Great view and food!

It was dinner and a bit misty rain fell....but a memorable evening. We are planning to revisit.

Decisions, decisions... a table on the rail and in the sun, or a table set back a bit and in the shade?

Gorgeous report! You had me at Desserts:D! Can’t wait to go and guessing we should have the Concierge make reservations way ahead of time. Thank you for the beautiful photos!

Gorgeous report! You had me at Desserts:D! Can’t wait to go and guessing we should have the Concierge make reservations way ahead of time. Thank you for the beautiful photos!

The restaurant is on Open Table, so you can easily make your own if you like.

This visit makes 4 or 5 times that I’ve enjoyed L’Atelier in the past two / three months (lunches & dinners), so I thought that I’d seize the moment to offer thoughts.

The spaces (upstairs & down) are exquisitely designed, with stunning furnishings and service items. It competes very favorably with Fouquet’s St. Barths . . . even a tad better, I think. The quality of food items also is wonderful . . . not “to die for,” but really, really impressive.
Dennis, have you divided your visits between L’Atelier and Le Rooftop de L’Atelier ?

Two competing dining concepts, I take it.

Love to have your insightful views. As always.

. . . haven’t done L’Atelier, except the rooftop. The former wasn’t open at lunchtime when I was on the island. I am, however, looking forward to trying it in early November.

As far as Le Rooftop goes, with a few exceptions, I found the service to be quite fine, The exceptions were young servers who hadn’t quite come to understand where they were & what it meant. In each instance, I — inoffensively, I hope — described to the floor manager the encounters that I found to be shortcomings. Every instance of input that I gave was graciously — and sincerely, it seemed — received. The food was exceptionally good . . . prices are high . . . and on balance, with an uptick in service, I could feel like I was dining very well in Paris.

. . .

As far as Le Rooftop goes, with a few exceptions, I found the service to be quite fine, The exceptions were young servers who hadn’t quite come to understand where they were & what it meant. In each instance, I — inoffensively, I hope — described to the floor manager the encounters that I found to be shortcomings. Every instance of input that I gave was graciously — and sincerely, it seemed — received. The food was exceptionally good . . . prices are high . . . and on balance, with an uptick in service, I could feel like I was dining very well in Paris.

Dennis, I agree. With a bit more training and experience the staff could rise to top form and compete with the best in New York and Paris. Looking forward to seeing just how much improved the young staff will become.

So, hate to say it, but you can include Julie and me among the camp underwhelmed by the L'Atelier St Barths experience. We certainly like the setting and the ambiance, sitting on the rooftop enjoying the harbor and people watching, but we found both the food and the service hit or miss. Different servers kept showing up, sometimes no more than 30 seconds after one of their colleagues...and then all would disappear for 15 minutes or so... We found the starters somewhat on the bland side (tuna tartar, dorade) and while I thought the waygu entree had interesting flavor and well-prepared, Julie was not impressed by the langouste spaghetti. I can't even remember what dessert was (other, than I guess, not memorable?). So, maybe we hit an off-nite, but I have to say it did not live up to the raves we see here, and certainly not our other Robuchon experiences.

All those lovely pictures do not mean the food is tasty. I am always skeptical of foo foo looking food.

Cheryl & I are reserving judgment. However growing pains are apparent. The view is spectacular. Living up to legend is challenging. We have not gone there yet however will plan on it July. Please keep us posted.