L’Esprit — WOW!

cec1

Senior Insider
. . . apologies for redundancy of a post that I’ve made on FB, but I wanted to share my enjoyment of last night at L’Esprit!

“Exquisite dinner at #LEsprit, St. Barths. After a holiday closure of a couple of months, opening night! An amuse bouche of very fresh tuna tartare, a starter of the world’s VERY BEST house-prepared foie gras, succulent calamari, a lush wine, & a sinful dessert of fresh raspberries & dark chocolate! No wonder that I’m gaining lbs . . . but the pleasure of being in the company of chef Jean Claude, host Tof, Rosine, & Hervé makes me exhale with a big sigh of relaxation. I’m multi-blessed with such friends & fine dining.”
5E55BFE0-2AEB-4345-B70F-27668B3B4BC7.jpg
17A7DF73-EEF3-416A-BF42-38012622C951.jpg
B48E321B-C2F6-465C-A4CF-9A875459856B.jpg
A2EB7D3E-F995-4049-B321-4D5E6B6CCCBB.jpg
4FF3B5FC-5256-41B2-9433-7042AE7D8ABA.jpg

No apologies necessary. The foie gras makes my mouth water in anticipation for next year. I just prepared sole and pasta with my homemade marinara sauce. While lovely nothing compared to L’Espirit! Thanks so much for the mouth watering pics!

No apologies necessary. The foie gras makes my mouth water in anticipation for next year. I just prepared sole and pasta with my homemade marinara sauce. While lovely nothing compared to L’Espirit! Thanks so much for the mouth watering pics!

Sole on pasta with a homemade marinara sauce could find me knocking at your door! I’ll supply the wine!

WOW is right, Dennis! Thank you for taking us along on your wonderful culinary experiences...your pictures are drool-worthy! LOL! What is that fabulous chilled cocktail you enjoyed? Cannot wait to get back to L'Esprit. Ahhhh, St. Barths!

WOW is right, Dennis! Thank you for taking us along on your wonderful culinary experiences...your pictures are drool-worthy! LOL! What is that fabulous chilled cocktail you enjoyed? Cannot wait to get back to L'Esprit. Ahhhh, St. Barths!
Thanks for saying that you appreciate my dining “records!” . . . and the cocktail always is the same. A vodka gimlet. If I ever ordered anything else, many restaurants would be concerned about my mental health! The predictability gives everyone a certain level of comfort!

Thanks for saying that you appreciate my dining “records!” . . . and the cocktail always is the same. A vodka gimlet. If I ever ordered anything else, many restaurants would be concerned about my mental health! The predictability gives everyone a certain level of comfort!

And it's a homeopathic cocktail too ! Wards off the ever-lurking scurvy !

Vodka Gimlet

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__liquor__2019__09__12092910__Vodka-Gimlet-720x720-recipe-e0aad3b18d514bd99faceb8b57f5d446.jpg

Image: Liquor.com / Tim Nusog

The Vodka Gimlet is not a drink to be toyed with. Unlike its gin counterpart, which can slink and sway beneath a periodic table of botanicals, a good Vodka Gimlet should be two things and two things only: cold and strong.

The Gimlet dates back to the late 18th century, when British sailors needed vitamin C to keep scurvy at bay. Enter limes. The little green citrus was ready to help, but getting sailors to drink the sour juice was a lot easier when it was mixed with liquor. The delicious, medicinal drink has been popular since. But it wasn’t until the vodka boom of the 1970s and ’80s that vodka supplanted gin in the Gimlet. While gin is still the traditional choice—and the spirit itself has earned its way back into drinker’s heart—a good Vodka Gimlet has its charms.

When making the cocktail at home, it’s best to start with ice-cold vodka. So, if you’re not already keeping a bottle in your freezer, throw one in there for safekeeping. Then keep it away from the bottle of Rose’scollecting dust on your bar. The sweet, concentrated lime cordial, because of which many a Gimlet has suffered, is no substitute for fresh-squeezed lime juice and simple syrup. The latter duo create a better, more balanced flavor than what is achievable when using the premixed cordial.

The three-ingredient Vodka Gimlet is easy to assemble, right up there with a Daiquiri and other straightforward shaken cocktails. Make one at home the next time you’re craving a simple, delicious drink. The scurvy prevention is just a bonus.

Ingredients

• 2 ounces vodka
  • 3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
  • Garnish: lime wheel

Thank you, Cass . . . and, indeed, preventing scurvy guides my preference! LOL! I will add that if one doesn’t have simple syrup handy, a good substitute is a splash of Cointreau.

Ahhhh…the vodka Gimlet! My father drank those; I should’ve known that. Being a vodka fan myself, I do believe I’ll revisit that great cocktail. It’s the best when all your “go to” dining establishments have your cocktail of choice on the bar before you even sit down! We have a few of those beloved places also. Friends “behind” the bar is always a good thing. Cheers!

Thank you, Cass . . . and, indeed, preventing scurvy guides my preference! LOL! I will add that if one doesn’t have simple syrup handy, a good substitute is a splash of Cointreau.

mon ami, mme cassidain and i felt a little scurvy coming on this evening and turned to your vodka gimlets as a surefire cure. we feel healthier already !

we usually have wfb,jr's planter's punch as our scurvy-curing homeopathic cocktail, but the cold, clean, crispness of your vodka gimlet sounded perfect this time.

tchin-tchin !

et, bonne continuation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mon ami, mme cassidain and i felt a little scurvy coming on this evening and turned to your vodka gimlets as a surefire cure. we feel healthier already !

we usually have wfb,jr's planter's punch as our scurvy-curing homeopathic cocktail, but the cold, clean, crispness of your vodka gimlet sounded perfect this time.

tchin-tchin !

et, bonne continuation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonight’s Zion gimlet
306D7FD5-F89D-48C5-A925-7F4D691E3960.jpg

We booked a small weekend in the Hamptons starting on Friday. Never had a Gimlet. I am all in!

Gimlets are made with gin. Martinis are made with gin.
Vodka gimlets and vodka martinis are made with vodka. :cool:

Tonight’s Zion gimlet
View attachment 58832

Looks delightful, Dennis! I was inspired by your post and actually made myself a couple of vodka gimlets late yesterday afternoon and enjoyed them very much. As it happened, yesterday would have been my parents 78th wedding anniversary, so I made the cocktails in their honor and toasted to their wonderful life together. Thanks for reminding me of some lovely family memories!

Looks delightful, Dennis! I was inspired by your post and actually made myself a couple of vodka gimlets late yesterday afternoon and enjoyed them very much. As it happened, yesterday would have been my parents 78th wedding anniversary, so I made the cocktails in their honor and toasted to their wonderful life together. Thanks for reminding me of some lovely family memories!

I’ll remember your parents with a “toast” today! Enduring, happy family memories are a great source of comfort for me, as well.