A Funny Thing Happened

cec1

Senior Insider
… on the way to dinner!

Despite claiming “semi-retirement” status, there continue to be times when “duty calls.” Today was one of those. A very long afternoon conference call, comfortably conducted from my “mezzanine” office at CEC, left me about 5:30 . . . hungry & desirous of a quiet space in which to eat fine food in the company of my iPad, reviewing & responding to SBH Online & email messages, with relaxing thoughts & some refreshing beverages.

The island being under “curfew,” with a selection of restaurants which is particularly limited at this time of year & on Monday night, I quickly called my trusty taxi. (In the past year, I decided, for numerous good reasons, to forego nighttime driving on SBH . . . it is such a pleasure to leave the driving to David Bardon!) Destination, Le Repaire . . . with a long history of quality, comfort food & warmth in service & setting. Delivered with a smiling face about 6 PM (remember, 8 PM curfew), I was warmly welcomed by the staff — which seemed like the usual evening complement — and savored a cool, highly chilled vodka gimlet — “up.” About 6:20, when I requested a menu . . . it was explained that “we’re not offering dinner during the curfew.” WHAT? NOW YOU TELL ME!

There was a suggestion that I might be able to get to the nearby AMC market before it closed in order to get some food to take home. Alternatively, the suggestions were Le Bar de L’Oubli or Le Select. I thought to myself . . , I didn’t shower, shave, put on my “good” clothes, & call a taxi to go to a grocery store in Gustavia or to eat a hamburger. (Apologies to all who like dinner at either of the suggested restaurants.)

So as I ruminated, walking along the quay, a vision appeared! L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon. It was meant to be! Owing to a last minute “no show,” I was seated at a lovely table looking over the harbor . . . with not much time to enjoy the prix fixe, three course dinner. Nonetheless, Wilfred (a/k/a know as “Willie,” long-time with Maya’s) & the very beautiful Agathe, teamed-up to provide smooth, terribly gracious service . . . getting me in-&-out in about 75 minutes . . . with a quick cocktail, some excellent Morgan wine, and a delicious non-dairy & non-gluten menu of smoked salmon with fresh chives &, in lieu of blinis, my personal petit loaf of GF bread; an out-of-this-world filet mignon; & sorbets of shizo, red fruits, & “exotic” fruits with small chunks of very rich dark chocolate sprinkled on top. (Photos below.)

As the witching hour approached — and I was nearing the end of my dessert — the restaurant’s beautiful, & trés discret hostess, came alongside and quietly whispered, “I’m sorry to say, Mr. Carlton . . . we must close in three minutes.” I was not the last out of the door . . . but, as I was getting into my taxi, the roller door at the restaurant’s entry was coming down.

I often think of the great Jimmy Stewart film, “It’s a Wonderful Life” . . . and tonight was one of the times that makes me grateful for it.
6E36E986-2091-4104-BA7A-5A9847870481.jpg3DEA18F9-DB54-4FA7-81A0-47DEC0DF4B6D.jpgE36E26C2-E9B9-40AC-A317-EB553604E275.jpg8CA5094C-AE4F-4A9A-94C5-485536491603.jpg

Lovely dinner. I would expect nothing less from a Robuchon restaurant.

I would say “nice recovery” from the disappointment at Le Repaire, but I have the belief that every recovery for you on St Barth is, in some way or another, a “nice recovery”. The food certainly didn’t fail you.

As to your use of a nighttime driver, that, to me, is a fine idea. I use one once or twice when I visit, usually when I anticipate imbibing more than the law permits. I could easily be convinced to use a reliable one more often for other reasons, starting with mobility and related parking issues, but for other issues too.

I might even hire a driver in the daytime for an island tour. For 35+ years I have been the driver, never the passenger (not my choice). I would love the opportunity to just look out the window, LOL.

Nice story with a happy ending. I prefer not to drive at night on the island except to St. Jean and Les Banniers. We used Wimco drivers last time but that was expensive. We need to find a taxi driver to work with.

Great evening Dennis!
Sorry to hear Le Repaire did not work out. It's one of our favorites.

Repaire did you wrong- To warmly greet you; serve a cocktail and let you spend precious minutes pre curfew - and only when you ask they say no food- they should have had a sign that says ‘no food tonight?’
But You landed well!
Kudos to Robuchon for serving you sn entire dinner and drink/s and allowing you to go home before the curfew!
Well Done!��

CEC1, it appears we were both beneficiaries of no-shows at Robuchon last evening. My husband and I decided, last minute, to venture into Gustavia to see if anything was available. Our first stop was Bonito and they were booked. We walked past Robuchon and I told my husband that there was no way there was availability. We checked with the hostess and she said there was one remaining table. We were seated and the table was at the far back corner of the rooftop with a view of the bar and nothing else. It didn’t matter to us and we proceeded with ordering. After the amuse bouche was served, the lovely waitress let us know that there was a no-show and that they would like to move us to a better table. We were just in front of the bar on the harbor side. We throughly enjoyed our meal and the entire experience. Smoked salmon appetizer, heirloom tomato salad appetizer, roasted lobster (42€ upcharge based on gram weight), ravioli, and desserts. Cocktails were fabulous and the evening turned out way better than we anticipated. It was the most expensive meal we have ever had together ($575) but we’ll talk about it for years to come.

Attachments

• 78D0DB6A-2C61-49CD-B71D-551C65856F2B.jpeg
    78D0DB6A-2C61-49CD-B71D-551C65856F2B.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 535
CEC1, it appears we were both beneficiaries of no-shows at Robuchon last evening. My husband and I decided, last minute, to venture into Gustavia to see if anything was available. Our first stop was Bonito and they were booked. We walked past Robuchon and I told my husband that there was no way there was availability. We checked with the hostess and she said there was one remaining table. We were seated and the table was at the far back corner of the rooftop with a view of the bar and nothing else. It didn’t matter to us and we proceeded with ordering. After the amuse bouche was served, the lovely waitress let us know that there was a no-show and that they would like to move us to a better table. We were just in front of the bar on the harbor side. We throughly enjoyed our meal and the entire experience. Smoked salmon appetizer, heirloom tomato salad appetizer, roasted lobster (42€ upcharge based on gram weight), ravioli, and desserts. Cocktails were fabulous and the evening turned out way better than we anticipated. It was the most expensive meal we have ever had together ($575) but we’ll talk about it for years to come.

So glad that you shared the same good fortune of an unexpected, memorable meal & evening!

Proof a good time can be had even with the current curfew and especially when you can still have a post dinner cocktail (or 3) with a beautiful view at your villa

Like we always say, “There’s always Le Repaire!”
Evidently not!

So funny! I’m reminded of great lyrics from “Follies:”
“Good times and bum times, I’ve seen them all / And, my dear, I’m still here.”