#zion_restaurant redux

cec1

Senior Insider
With only a couple of hours of sleep “under my belt,” Friday evening was a truly grand dinner at Zion! (Merci beaucoup to Tradewind for getting me from a 1:10 arrival at SJU to its 2:10 departure to SBH . . . sparing me the wait to its 5:15 flight!). Early arrival on the island allowed time for a stop at Marché U before arriving at Villa CEC . . . immediately followed by a quick dip in the pool (travel started with wake-up alarm at 3:15 AM! — that “dip,” as you might imagine, was really refreshing!).

So good to be home, if even briefly. And, I must tell you, this “curfew thing” might be a new part of my life!

A Villa cocktail (savored in the pool!) before arriving at Zion for my 6 PM seat at the “Chef’s Table” worked trés bien! Anticipating a “red” meal menu (I generally rely on superb guidance of chef Jean Baptiste), I got a bottle of Hospitelet 2018 for the evening . . . sparingly shared with Chef & all my friends in the restaurant (“sparingly” only because they had to be attentive in taking care of Zion’s near-full house . . . the sharing, nonetheless, is one of those things where all of us enjoy the “clink” glasses in good wishes).

So the dinner . . . another tour de force! . . . Starter of veal tartare — with tomatoes, garlic, & capers . . . dollop of “ice cream” made with olive oil & thyme. Chef Jean Baptiste at work. Main course of Pigeon with chickpeas, carrots, broccolini in a whisky & coffee sauce. And an irresistible chocolate mousse! A memorable evening!

Bon appétit!
BA897AE4-FAF6-4073-BE8E-1BDA969A1C7D.jpeg
FCF78A84-555C-4854-866C-C27AF7168936.jpg
41570A67-CCB7-4A6E-BD86-F436721CBFB5.jpeg
3A3C71E9-2160-4B9A-BD4A-B33E418D3EDA.jpg

Home about 8:30 . . . another “swim” (euphemistically speaking) . . . a “spot” of Grand Mariner. And this guy peacefully slept for 10 hours! Aahhhhhh, St. Barths!

Nice choice on the wine!

[h=1]Gerard Bertrand Chateau L'Hospitalet Grand Vin Rouge 2018[/h]

IWC Champion Red Wine Trophy 2019
A bright, ruby-red color. The intense nose carries predominant aromas of spices and red fruit (strawberry). On the palate, the fine, silky tannins enhance the fruity freshness of the wine.Blend: 60% Syrah, 30% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre
Pairs well with rack of lamb, game birds and mature cheeses

Nice choice on the wine!

Gerard Bertrand Chateau L'Hospitalet Grand Vin Rouge 2018

IWC Champion Red Wine Trophy 2019
A bright, ruby-red color. The intense nose carries predominant aromas of spices and red fruit (strawberry). On the palate, the fine, silky tannins enhance the fruity freshness of the wine.Blend: 60% Syrah, 30% Grenache, 10% Mourvedre
Pairs well with rack of lamb, game birds and mature cheeses

. . . trés sophisticated explanation for my palate! Delicious, nonetheless! And tonight’s white wine nearly exceeds L’Hospitalet!”

ah, mature cheeses. there one can encounter unfamiliar, and even unwelcome, olfactory sensations.

I learned early on when living in France to pick small samples of several cheeses from the ubiquitous tray or trolley... and save ripest ones, those with the strongest olfactory sensations, for last !

must be 25 years ago now, we were making our way south and spent the evening at the Chateau de Montmaur, turned into a chamber d'hotes. a bit to the west of Gap. the proprio suggested the Hotel de la Poste in Veynes for dinner. when time for the fromage course came, the chariot displayed a startling range of chevres forts. many of which had to be contained in glass jars so as not to offend the senses of those non-amateurs.
looked like a science experiment gone awry !

I got a kick out of seeing Cameron and the cheese presentation at the IALW. . A marvelous gourmet and lifestyle experience. UNFORGETTABLE