Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34

Thread: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

  1. #1
    ehardtke is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Aug 2010 New York, NY Posts: 49

    Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Hopefully my attachment worked - I saw the latest announcement but not sure if something is lost in translation. It seems that you now need a compelling reason to go to either st Martin or st Barts? The first part is a bit unclear. Trying to figure out if (1) we aren’t permitted to come bc of no compelling reason and if so (2) the same rule applies even if you are only transferring through Juliana - as we may divert to Anguilla instead. Sorry if I’m being dumb but if anyone knows the scoop let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    JEK is offline
    Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,171

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    I would trust the WIMCO Blog for accurate information.


    St Barts is open. What’s required to enter St Barts?

    August 2, 2021 Update – As of August 2nd, 2021, fully vaccinated residents of green and orange classified countries are allowed to enter the territory with a negative PCR or antigen COVID test, while unvaccinated residents of green and orange classified countries are required to provide a compelling reason for travel and a negative COVID test for entry.

    As of June 18th:
    Green countries: United States, European area, Australia, Canada, South Korea Israel, Japan, Lebanon, New Zealand, and Singapore
    Orange countries: All countries not classified as green or red
    Red countries: Afghanistan, South Africa, Argentina, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Paraguay, Sri Lanka, Suriname and Uruguay.


    Here are the requirements for travel to St Barts, effective June 21, 2021.
    1. Valid Passport or Visa. No visa required to enter St Barts if you are a citizen of the US, Canada, any EU country, and most of Central and South America. Not sure if you need a visa to enter French St Barts? Use this French government search tool to determine if you need a visa to enter St Barts.
    2. Proof of vaccination. All travelers aged 18 and older will need to provide proof that they have been fully or partially vaccinated. Travelers should send proof of vaccination to their villa rental agency or hotel prior when making their reservation. Travelers may also be asked to show proof of vaccination when checking in, and again when arriving.
    3. Negative PCR test. All travelers aged 10 and older will need to provide proof of a negative Covid 19 PCR test taken no more than 3 full days prior to arrival. For example, if you are scheduled to arrive on Saturday afternoon, then plan to schedule your PCR test for the Wednesday morning prior to that. Travelers will need to show proof of a negative result when checking in for their flights.
    Alternatively, travelers can take a Covid-19 rapid antigen test no more than two full days prior to arrival.
    4. IF YOU ARE OVER 18, AND NOT VACCINATED
    – As of June 21, travelers who are over 18 and are not vaccinated can enter St Barts if they meet two requirements
    A. Provide proof of a negative PCR test
    B. Provide a compelling reason to enter the island (pre-approved)
    5. IF FLYING IN VIA ST MARTIN – If you are traveling to St. Barths through St Martin, even if you are not spending a night in St Martin, you will need to pre-register with EHAS (Electronic Health Authorization ).
    To complete EHAS you will need the results of your PCR test (or antigen test) plus proof of medical insurance coverage. There is a $30 fee associated with this which covers mandatory travel insurance. EHAS will then send you a confirmation email authorizing you to enter St Martin. You will need this email in order to board your flight to St Martin.
    Please note: When returning home via St Martin you will also be required to submit a request via EHAS to enter St Martin, although no additional testing is required.
    See official letter about the June 9 reopening from the Comite du Tourisme de Saint Barthelemy.
    On-Island Actions to Limit the Spread of the virus – August 5 Update

    To protect unvaccinated seasonal workers from the virus, the Prefecture of St Barthelemy and St Martin are taking the following actions:

    1. Closing discoteques and night clubs from July 26 to September 30.
    2. Requiring all restaurants and businesses to close at 10pm each night. The earliest a business can open is 5am.

    From the official statement: In Saint-Barthélemy and St Martin, there was an emergence of clusters among seasonal workers from mainland France who spread the virus during festive activities. For this reason, the Prefect of Saint Barthélemy and Saint Martin has decided to close nightclubs as of today in order to contain the chains of contamination. The use of dance floors in drinking establishments is also prohibited in Saint Barthélemy, as in Saint Martin.


    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

  3. #3
    JEK is offline
    Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,171

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    What you posted was a more recent change on arrival via the sea.

    Name:  1587ECED-DFD4-4F30-B005-63011411F799.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  206.7 KB
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

  4. #4
    stbartshopper is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 11,317

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Vaccination proof and negative test and you are on the island. No vax- compelling reason and negative test. - How we read it.

  5. #5
    GramChop is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Austin, Texas Posts: 17,822

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by stbartshopper View Post
    Vaccination proof and negative test and you are on the island. No vax- compelling reason and negative test. - How we read it.
    …AND 7 day isolation!
    The waves of the sea bring me back to me.

  6. #6
    cassidain is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 7,732

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by GramChop View Post
    …AND 7 day isolation!
    this too shall pass

    * and we’re entering the lowest of low season anyway
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

    If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

  7. #7
    elgreaux is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,388

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Not only do businesses, including restaurants, close at 10pm but it is a general curfew from 10pm-5am..until August 20... you cannot leave your home without a compelling reason, and if for work, a signed attestation is required from your employer...so watch the clock!

  8. #8
    TR561 is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 173

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Came to the island in january and it shut down a week after I returned home and I came to the island in July and it essentially shut down a week after I returned. This is getting sad....

  9. #9
    Cwater is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2016 Long Island Posts: 826

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Seems like Cheryl and I got out just in time. Looking forward to next year everyone healthy and back to normal

  10. #10
    amyb is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,426

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    [QUOTE= Looking forward to next year everyone healthy and back to normal[/QUOTE]

    EXACTLY SO!
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

  11. #11
    Happycamper is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Apr 2020 Boston Posts: 67

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by ehardtke View Post
    Hopefully my attachment worked - I saw the latest announcement but not sure if something is lost in translation. It seems that you now need a compelling reason to go to either st Martin or st Barts? The first part is a bit unclear. Trying to figure out if (1) we aren’t permitted to come bc of no compelling reason and if so (2) the same rule applies even if you are only transferring through Juliana - as we may divert to Anguilla instead. Sorry if I’m being dumb but if anyone knows the scoop let me know!
    ehardtke, the 'compelling reason' and 7 day quarantine are only for people who are not vaccinated. France has come down quite strongly with the decision that since unvaccinated people are statistically more dangerous to their community and more expensive to their healthcare system that they won't allow unvaccinated people into museums in Paris or other public gathering places across France. Similarly they want only vaccinated people to vacation in their fragile island communities like St Martin and St Barth. Several EU countries limit travel to only vaccinated people, even 'domestically' in Europe.

    Assuming you are vaccinated, then you should have no problem entering and France welcomes you. As far as the curfew, it is true that if your plan was to stay out late in bars and restaurants, then maybe this isn't a good time to visit, but if you are happy visiting the beaches and eating before 10pm, then I personally believe it can be done safely. I would opt to not visit any indoor establishments and only eat outdoors or in my villa, but that is just me.

    If you are not vaccinated, then a vacation visit to St Barth right now isn't going to work out. France has decided not to take the risk.

    Separately, SXM is not in French St Martin, but in Dutch Sint Maarten, so different rules apply. Last I checked, SXM requires your approval via their EHAS system (basically a negative covid test) and then you are good to go.

  12. #12
    Happycamper is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Apr 2020 Boston Posts: 67

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by TR561 View Post
    Came to the island in january and it shut down a week after I returned home and I came to the island in July and it essentially shut down a week after I returned. This is getting sad....
    TR561, the only conclusion a scientist could make is that YOU are causing the outbreaks! (sorry, is it too soon to joke about covid?)

  13. #13
    ehardtke is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Aug 2010 New York, NY Posts: 49

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Thank you! I’m clearly was misunderstanding!

  14. #14
    didier is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 6,281

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
    ehardtke, the 'compelling reason' and 7 day quarantine are only for people who are not vaccinated. France has come down quite strongly with the decision that since unvaccinated people are statistically more dangerous to their community and more expensive to their healthcare system that they won't allow unvaccinated people into museums in Paris or other public gathering places across France. Similarly they want only vaccinated people to vacation in their fragile island communities like St Martin and St Barth.



    If you are not vaccinated, then a vacation visit to St Barth right now isn't going to work out. France has decided not to take the risk. where do you get your info Happy?

    Separately, SXM is not in French St Martin, but in Dutch Sint Maarten, so different rules apply. Last I checked, SXM requires your approval via their EHAS system (basically a negative covid test) and then you are good to go.
    Happycamper, you are wrong on several topics here. yes if you are not vaxxed, you need a health pass to enter establishments in france but if you are not vaxxed then a neg. pcr test will be accepted for entrance.

    non vaxxed are welcome in st. barths with a neg test result, plus a compelling reason, plus 7 day quarantine for now, but that will change after aug. 20th according to the prefet. not sure if this will be extended or not. but I will only publish the facts here and not my own agenda.

    I don't know what you mean that France has decided not to take the risk for travelers to st. barths???? you need to read the entry requirements. this is a travel forum for people wanting to travel here, that includes vaxxed and non vaxxed. the forum welcomes all.

    dutch sxm does not have the same rules as french st. martin. you can enter dutch sxm without a compelling reason or a quarantine for vaxxed or non vaxxed. you will have to fill out an ehas form for entry.

  15. #15
    stbartshopper is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 11,317

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Good job on clarifying the current ‘covid’ policies Didier.

  16. #16
    JEK is offline
    Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 55,171

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Since we are a travel site, giving advice, proper nomenclature is important.

    There is is no French or Dutch SXM, as SXM is the code for an airport firmly set in Sint Maarten. There is a Saint Martin that is decidedly French

    Name:  Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 8.32.42 AM.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  280.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

  17. #17
    stbartshopper is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 11,317

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    I believe you are saying JEK the airport (SXM) is located in the Dutch territory (Sint Maarten not Saint Martin) of the island. An airport code such as LHR, LGA, or SXM does not have a nationality.

  18. #18
    didier is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 6,281

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Since we are a travel site, giving advice, proper nomenclature is important.

    There is is no French or Dutch SXM, as SXM is the code for an airport firmly set in Sint Maarten. There is a Saint Martin that is decidedly French
    I put sxm which is on the dutch side of the island. easier than writing out sint maarten, since most people know (even though it is an airport code) that when someone says sxm it means the dutch side. however in the future, I will be more clear to the folks who are not aware of this information.

    the dutch side has the international airport with the code sxm and they have different rules for their country. you can arrive to sint maarten whether vaxxed or not vaxxed with no compelling reason for your visit, but you will have to have a neg. test and fill out the ehas form.

  19. #19
    elgreaux is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 11,388

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by didier View Post
    I put sxm which is on the dutch side of the island. easier than writing out sint maarten, since most people know (even though it is an airport code) that when someone says sxm it means the dutch side. however in the future, I will be more clear to the folks who are not aware of this information.

    the dutch side has the international airport with the code sxm and they have different rules for their country. you can arrive to sint maarten whether vaxxed or not vaxxed with no compelling reason for your visit, but you will have to have a neg. test and fill out the ehas form.
    and once you arrive there at SXM, and want to continue to St Barth and are not vaxxed and do not have a compelling reason, what do you do?

  20. #20
    didier is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 6,281

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    [QUOTE=elgreaux;1050156]and once you arrive there at SXM, and want to continue to St Barth and are not vaxxed and do not have a compelling reason, what do you do?

    I think most travelers are smart travelers. I would think if st. barths is their final destination, they will have the proper paperwork needed. If they are not a smart traveler who had plans to come to st. barths and they are not vaxxed and do not have a compelling reason to visit st. barths right now during the restrictions, the answer would be simple. they would not be allowed to travel here.

  21. #21
    stbartshopper is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 11,317

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Same question we have elgreaux- would not be welcomed in SBH or Saint Martin. We have found if an airline transports somebody to a locale where they are not permitted to enter because of paperwork that doesn’t comply, it is the airline’s responsibility to return that party back to the departure city. Don’t know the covid policies at this point for Sint Maarten but maybe the party could vacation on the Dutch side? Any villa deposits etc. for SBH would most likely be forfeited.

  22. #22
    Happycamper is offline
    SBH Member Joined: Apr 2020 Boston Posts: 67

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Didier--

    "Happycamper, you are wrong on several topics here." ---It would not be the first time I was wrong, but in this context of answering ehardkte's specific questions, that had been circled around but not actually answered in the 10 previous responses, I think it was pretty good.

    "yes if you are not vaxxed, you need a health pass to enter establishments in france but if you are not vaxxed then a neg. pcr test will be accepted for entrance." Sure, but for most tourists, running out for new PCR tests every 2-3 days is not the kind of vacation they are looking for so I had dismissed it as not a plausible scenario. But you have added a good clarification.


    "non vaxxed are welcome in st. barths with a neg test result, plus a compelling reason, plus 7 day quarantine for now..." You call that welcomed, I call that not welcomed. We have no disagreement on the requirements.


    "I don't know what you mean that France has decided not to take the risk for travelers to st. barths???? you need to read the entry requirements. this is a travel forum for people wanting to travel here, that includes vaxxed and non vaxxed. the forum welcomes all." What I mean is that France made some rules that allow vaccinated tourists easy entry into St Barth and blocked unvaccinated tourists. I've read the entry requirements and I understand that this is a forum for people wanting to travel here. That's why I was actually answering the traveler's questions about the rules and letting her know they were EASIER than she thought, if vaccinated. Now I am answering your question and telling you that an unvaccinated tourist is excluded from entry because they don't have a compelling reason. The forum welcomes all, which is as it should be, but St Barth does not, which also is as it should be.


    "dutch sxm does not have the same rules as french st. martin. you can enter dutch sxm without a compelling reason or a quarantine for vaxxed or non vaxxed. you will have to fill out an ehas form for entry." That's exactly what I said, so we agree on this point as well. (Actually I think we agree on ALL points except whether the restrictions that France has put on unvaxed people amounts to a discouragement of unvaxed travelers. I think it does, you don't. Both valid opinions, but the only relevant opinion is in the eyes of the prospective traveler.) However, keep in mind that even SXM may change their rules.... From yesterday's Sint Maarten's Daily Herald "PHILIPSBURG--Public Health Minister Omar Ottley on Thursday warned that with the number of COVID-19 cases continuing to increase at a rapid pace, the next step will be to either “get vaccinated, do routine safety testing or go into lock down.”"

    I have no problem with anyone who chooses not to vaccinate. I won't have a big sit-down meal with them, but that's a natural self-defense response, not one from a position of anger. So hopefully no one takes offense to any of these comments.

  23. #23
    MTBH is offline
    SBH Member Joined: May 2021 Posts: 16

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
    Didier--

    I have no problem with anyone who chooses not to vaccinate. I won't have a big sit-down meal with them, but that's a natural self-defense response, not one from a position of anger. So hopefully no one takes offense to any of these comments.
    Truly appreciate your input HC. But to state the obvious "We’re not safe until we’re all safe." and this pandemic will continue and this virus will continue to mutate and the inability to easily travel to SBH will continue as long as we have an unvaccinated population. A large majority of the unvaccinated are "much more likely to be food insecure, have children at home and earn little. About three-quarters of unvaccinated adults live in a household that makes less than $75,000 a year. They are nearly three times as likely as the vaccinated to have had insufficient food recently. Many of them have pressing concerns they can’t just put aside." We, as a society, need to address these inequalities if we ever hope to revive the debate of long pants or shorts on SBH. Seriously though -- we are back in the weeds with this virus and I hope we as privileged - travelers/island home owners/people who have time to talk about SBH for fun - stay true to science and the facts in an effort to move forward safely. And come out the other side of this together.

  24. #24
    didier is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 6,281

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by MTBH View Post
    Truly appreciate your input HC. But to state the obvious "We’re not safe until we’re all safe." and this pandemic will continue and this virus will continue to mutate and the inability to easily travel to SBH will continue as long as we have an unvaccinated population. A large majority of the unvaccinated are "much more likely to be food insecure, have children at home and earn little. About three-quarters of unvaccinated adults live in a household that makes less than $75,000 a year. They are nearly three times as likely as the vaccinated to have had insufficient food recently. Many of them have pressing concerns they can’t just put aside." We, as a society, need to address these inequalities if we ever hope to revive the debate of long pants or shorts on SBH. Seriously though -- we are back in the weeds with this virus and I hope we as privileged - travelers/island home owners/people who have time to talk about SBH for fun - stay true to science and the facts in an effort to move forward safely. And come out the other side of this together.
    actually the cdc disagrees with your income level for anti-vaxxers, and they don't seem to be food insecure, love this phrase by the way, on the floor laughing right now.

    Anti-vaccine parents are often white, college-educated, ‘Whole Foods moms’.pdf

  25. #25
    cassidain is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 7,732

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Diana, he or she left off “and have buck teef”
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

    If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

  26. #26
    didier is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 6,281

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by cassidain View Post
    Diana, he or she left off “and have buck teef”
    trust me , they will come back with " but they were just talking about mumps, measles etc. or but I meant unvaxxed adult, but of course they would be wrong"... I own real estate here on the island, I don't consider myself better than anyone else.

    by the way, I do not consider myself privileged either as a traveler or as a st. barths real estate owner. who says things like that? I have friends who are worth billions, and they don't speak this way. the only people I have ever met that seem to think they are better than others financially or otherwise are the people who may have 50,000 in the bank. People with real money have no need or desire for this nonsense.

  27. #27
    MTBH is offline
    SBH Member Joined: May 2021 Posts: 16

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by didier View Post
    actually the cdc disagrees with your income level for anti-vaxxers, and they don't seem to be food insecure, love this phrase by the way, on the floor laughing right now.

    Anti-vaccine parents are often white, college-educated, ‘Whole Foods moms’.pdf
    You love the phrase "food insecure" and are "on the floor laughing"?? Wow. This is a serious reality of this pandemic. Your complete lack of empathy is breathtaking. And the article you link to predates covid so not exactly on point.

  28. #28
    didier is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 6,281

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Quote Originally Posted by MTBH View Post
    You love the phrase "food insecure" and are "on the floor laughing"?? Wow. This is a serious reality of this pandemic. Your complete lack of empathy is breathtaking. And the article you link to predates covid so not exactly on point.
    actually the article came out today august 6,2021. it has a date on it, put your glasses on.

    I am on the floor laughing at your pompous way of speaking about poor people, I never would laugh at people who needed food. nor would I consider them less intelligent because they happen to make less money.

  29. #29
    MTBH is offline
    SBH Member Joined: May 2021 Posts: 16

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    Your article is dated April 10, 2019.

    There are a lot of people in the US and the world that do not have easy access (or any access) to the vaccine. That was my point. If we want things to get better that needs to change or the virus will continue to mutate and spread. And if it does then conversations about restrictions to entry to SBH will be the hot topic on this forum for a long time. I, personally, would like a world where that is not the case.

  30. #30
    cassidain is offline
    SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2007 Ailleurs Posts: 7,732

    Re: Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

    To the best of my knowledge, the various governmental entities in the US are begging any and all to come and take the jab. At no cost, I believe.
    Not aware of anyone denied it. Certainly not in my county.
    Fils du Sud - Roi des Fils Verrouillés

    If I can't wear my Havaianas, I ain't goin'...ÀMHA

Similar Threads

  1. New restrictions on RT-PCR tests?
    By garykool81 in forum St Barts Island Main Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-30-2020, 04:18 PM
  2. More traffic restrictions
    By andynap in forum St Barts Island Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2018, 12:55 PM
  3. Travel restrictions
    By andynap in forum St Barts Island Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-16-2018, 11:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •