Latest restrictions for SXM and SBH

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehardtke

SBH Member
Hopefully my attachment worked - I saw the latest announcement but not sure if something is lost in translation. It seems that you now need a compelling reason to go to either st Martin or st Barts? The first part is a bit unclear. Trying to figure out if (1) we aren’t permitted to come bc of no compelling reason and if so (2) the same rule applies even if you are only transferring through Juliana - as we may divert to Anguilla instead. Sorry if I’m being dumb but if anyone knows the scoop let me know!

Attachments

• 1587ECED-DFD4-4F30-B005-63011411F799.jpg
    1587ECED-DFD4-4F30-B005-63011411F799.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 552
I would trust the WIMCO Blog for accurate information.

[h=2]St Barts is open. What’s required to enter St Barts?[/h]August 2, 2021 Update – As of August 2nd, 2021, fully vaccinated residents of green and orange classified countries are allowed to enter the territory with a negative PCR or antigen COVID test, while unvaccinated residents of green and orange classified countries are required to provide a compelling reason for travel and a negative COVID test for entry.

As of June 18th:
Green countries: United States, European area, Australia, Canada, South Korea Israel, Japan, Lebanon, New Zealand, and Singapore
Orange countries: All countries not classified as green or red
Red countries: Afghanistan, South Africa, Argentina, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Paraguay, Sri Lanka, Suriname and Uruguay.

Here are the requirements for travel to St Barts, effective June 21, 2021.
1. Valid Passport or Visa. No visa required to enter St Barts if you are a citizen of the US, Canada, any EU country, and most of Central and South America. Not sure if you need a visa to enter French St Barts? Use this French government search tool to determine if you need a visa to enter St Barts.
2. Proof of vaccination. All travelers aged 18 and older will need to provide proof that they have been fully or partially vaccinated. Travelers should send proof of vaccination to their villa rental agency or hotel prior when making their reservation. Travelers may also be asked to show proof of vaccination when checking in, and again when arriving.
3. Negative PCR test. All travelers aged 10 and older will need to provide proof of a negative Covid 19 PCR test taken no more than 3 full days prior to arrival. For example, if you are scheduled to arrive on Saturday afternoon, then plan to schedule your PCR test for the Wednesday morning prior to that. Travelers will need to show proof of a negative result when checking in for their flights.
Alternatively, travelers can take a Covid-19 rapid antigen test no more than two full days prior to arrival.
4. IF YOU ARE OVER 18, AND NOT VACCINATED
– As of June 21, travelers who are over 18 and are not vaccinated can enter St Barts if they meet two requirements
A. Provide proof of a negative PCR test
B. Provide a compelling reason to enter the island (pre-approved)
5. IF FLYING IN VIA ST MARTIN – If you are traveling to St. Barths through St Martin, even if you are not spending a night in St Martin, you will need to pre-register with EHAS (Electronic Health Authorization ).
To complete EHAS you will need the results of your PCR test (or antigen test) plus proof of medical insurance coverage. There is a $30 fee associated with this which covers mandatory travel insurance. EHAS will then send you a confirmation email authorizing you to enter St Martin. You will need this email in order to board your flight to St Martin.
Please note: When returning home via St Martin you will also be required to submit a request via EHAS to enter St Martin, although no additional testing is required.
See official letter about the June 9 reopening from the Comite du Tourisme de Saint Barthelemy.
[h=2][/h][h=2]On-Island Actions to Limit the Spread of the virus – August 5 Update[/h]To protect unvaccinated seasonal workers from the virus, the Prefecture of St Barthelemy and St Martin are taking the following actions:

1. Closing discoteques and night clubs from July 26 to September 30.
  2. Requiring all restaurants and businesses to close at 10pm each night. The earliest a business can open is 5am.
From the official statement: In Saint-Barthélemy and St Martin, there was an emergence of clusters among seasonal workers from mainland France who spread the virus during festive activities. For this reason, the Prefect of Saint Barthélemy and Saint Martin has decided to close nightclubs as of today in order to contain the chains of contamination. The use of dance floors in drinking establishments is also prohibited in Saint Barthélemy, as in Saint Martin.

Vaccination proof and negative test and you are on the island. No vax- compelling reason and negative test. - How we read it.

Not only do businesses, including restaurants, close at 10pm but it is a general curfew from 10pm-5am..until August 20... you cannot leave your home without a compelling reason, and if for work, a signed attestation is required from your employer...so watch the clock!

Came to the island in january and it shut down a week after I returned home and I came to the island in July and it essentially shut down a week after I returned. This is getting sad....

Seems like Cheryl and I got out just in time. Looking forward to next year everyone healthy and back to normal

Hopefully my attachment worked - I saw the latest announcement but not sure if something is lost in translation. It seems that you now need a compelling reason to go to either st Martin or st Barts? The first part is a bit unclear. Trying to figure out if (1) we aren’t permitted to come bc of no compelling reason and if so (2) the same rule applies even if you are only transferring through Juliana - as we may divert to Anguilla instead. Sorry if I’m being dumb but if anyone knows the scoop let me know!

ehardtke, the 'compelling reason' and 7 day quarantine are only for people who are not vaccinated. France has come down quite strongly with the decision that since unvaccinated people are statistically more dangerous to their community and more expensive to their healthcare system that they won't allow unvaccinated people into museums in Paris or other public gathering places across France. Similarly they want only vaccinated people to vacation in their fragile island communities like St Martin and St Barth. Several EU countries limit travel to only vaccinated people, even 'domestically' in Europe.

Assuming you are vaccinated, then you should have no problem entering and France welcomes you. As far as the curfew, it is true that if your plan was to stay out late in bars and restaurants, then maybe this isn't a good time to visit, but if you are happy visiting the beaches and eating before 10pm, then I personally believe it can be done safely. I would opt to not visit any indoor establishments and only eat outdoors or in my villa, but that is just me.

If you are not vaccinated, then a vacation visit to St Barth right now isn't going to work out. France has decided not to take the risk.

Separately, SXM is not in French St Martin, but in Dutch Sint Maarten, so different rules apply. Last I checked, SXM requires your approval via their EHAS system (basically a negative covid test) and then you are good to go.

Came to the island in january and it shut down a week after I returned home and I came to the island in July and it essentially shut down a week after I returned. This is getting sad....

TR561, the only conclusion a scientist could make is that YOU are causing the outbreaks! (sorry, is it too soon to joke about covid?)

ehardtke, the 'compelling reason' and 7 day quarantine are only for people who are not vaccinated. France has come down quite strongly with the decision that since unvaccinated people are statistically more dangerous to their community and more expensive to their healthcare system that they won't allow unvaccinated people into museums in Paris or other public gathering places across France. Similarly they want only vaccinated people to vacation in their fragile island communities like St Martin and St Barth.

If you are not vaccinated, then a vacation visit to St Barth right now isn't going to work out. France has decided not to take the risk. where do you get your info Happy?

Separately, SXM is not in French St Martin, but in Dutch Sint Maarten, so different rules apply. Last I checked, SXM requires your approval via their EHAS system (basically a negative covid test) and then you are good to go.

Happycamper, you are wrong on several topics here. yes if you are not vaxxed, you need a health pass to enter establishments in france but if you are not vaxxed then a neg. pcr test will be accepted for entrance.

non vaxxed are welcome in st. barths with a neg test result, plus a compelling reason, plus 7 day quarantine for now, but that will change after aug. 20th according to the prefet. not sure if this will be extended or not. but I will only publish the facts here and not my own agenda.

I don't know what you mean that France has decided not to take the risk for travelers to st. barths???? you need to read the entry requirements. this is a travel forum for people wanting to travel here, that includes vaxxed and non vaxxed. the forum welcomes all.

dutch sxm does not have the same rules as french st. martin. you can enter dutch sxm without a compelling reason or a quarantine for vaxxed or non vaxxed. you will have to fill out an ehas form for entry.

Since we are a travel site, giving advice, proper nomenclature is important.

There is is no French or Dutch SXM, as SXM is the code for an airport firmly set in Sint Maarten. There is a Saint Martin that is decidedly French:cool:

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 8.32.42 AM.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3729.jpeg
    IMG_3729.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 487
I believe you are saying JEK the airport (SXM) is located in the Dutch territory (Sint Maarten not Saint Martin) of the island. An airport code such as LHR, LGA, or SXM does not have a nationality.

Since we are a travel site, giving advice, proper nomenclature is important.

There is is no French or Dutch SXM, as SXM is the code for an airport firmly set in Sint Maarten. There is a Saint Martin that is decidedly French:cool:

I put sxm which is on the dutch side of the island. easier than writing out sint maarten, since most people know (even though it is an airport code) that when someone says sxm it means the dutch side. however in the future, I will be more clear to the folks who are not aware of this information.

the dutch side has the international airport with the code sxm and they have different rules for their country. you can arrive to sint maarten whether vaxxed or not vaxxed with no compelling reason for your visit, but you will have to have a neg. test and fill out the ehas form.

I put sxm which is on the dutch side of the island. easier than writing out sint maarten, since most people know (even though it is an airport code) that when someone says sxm it means the dutch side. however in the future, I will be more clear to the folks who are not aware of this information.

the dutch side has the international airport with the code sxm and they have different rules for their country. you can arrive to sint maarten whether vaxxed or not vaxxed with no compelling reason for your visit, but you will have to have a neg. test and fill out the ehas form.

and once you arrive there at SXM, and want to continue to St Barth and are not vaxxed and do not have a compelling reason, what do you do?

and once you arrive there at SXM, and want to continue to St Barth and are not vaxxed and do not have a compelling reason, what do you do?

I think most travelers are smart travelers. I would think if st. barths is their final destination, they will have the proper paperwork needed. If they are not a smart traveler who had plans to come to st. barths and they are not vaxxed and do not have a compelling reason to visit st. barths right now during the restrictions, the answer would be simple. they would not be allowed to travel here.

Status
Not open for further replies.