Antibody test: can I come?!

davesmom

Senior Insider
Bonjour, mes amis! Still dreaming about an escape to SBH..of course, that is my dream every day:laughing-cry:! (Almost made it last week but from where I was, it was a hassle to get there :( , including getting a Covid test ) So finally after 2 years of my Dr. yelling at me to go get the normal blood check up tests (Not a fan of getting test results..I always want an A+:D..don't even have an Apple watch because, really, who wants to know that much about oneself..) and running out of Covid excuses, I finally skip a day of workout to go. Just got some test results back and I did not even know that they were testing for this: SARS CoV-2, Nucleocapsid Antibody, IgG Interpretation

So to my great joy of a negative test I didn't even know they were taking, is this one I can use to get into SBH???!! If this one works, I've got 72 hours to get on a plane from SAN...

No. it is an antibody test. St Barth requires a PCR or antigen test.

Specifically, your test looked for antibodies produced by your immune system against the nucleocapsid protein of the virus (a virus is essentially genetic material, RNA for this virus, wrapped in a protein coat). A positive result would, with some limitations, be taken to mean that you previously had, or currently have, infection. The antibodies develop within 10d of infection.

Vaccination with the available vaccines leads to antibodies against a different protein (the spike protein).

The best news is you haven’t had the dreaded disease.
’Where there is a will, there is a way.’ Make the effort- you’ll be glad you did!:blush-smile:

Thank you for the encouragement! We are long vaccinated, so lucky we have not encountered Covid yet. I can't wait until they take all of the testing off because what makes me nervous is getting delayed from SAN and have my test be invalidated. We have to either red eye SAN-ATL-SXM-SBH or SAN-SJU overnight-SBH and lots can go wrong, so we have hesitated to make the plan. I know we will come one way or the other in 2022 but I was hoping to get a bonus trip down this year...we live vicariously through all the reports and observations. Just keeping up with the new restaurants since Irma is even a full time job, so merci beaucoup to Kevin (my Veuve idol) and all of you who are sharing your experiences. There really is nothing as fabulous as this blog for keeping dreams alive!:star: