Thread: George Washington's Mount Vernon

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 54,880

George Washington's Mount Vernon

The Camp King Campers spent a delightful day touring the mansion, grounds and even fishing in the Potomac. Nice to see toruisim increasing in DC and especially Mount Vernon.

Came across this Washington anecdote in my emails today

Washington Anecdote

James Hosmer Penniman was buried in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery in Concord, Massachusetts, in 1931, after a lifetime as an educator, author, philanthropist, and champion of George Washington. Though largely forgotten today, he lived a remarkable life. He endowed libraries at three Ivy League institutions (Brown, Penn, and Yale). He wrote textbooks for education, historical treatises, and childrenís books. There is a glacier in Alaska named for him. And, for the last two decades of his life, he wrote and published as widely as possible about George Washington, hoping, as he put it, "to set a higher standard for American patriotism." He wrote and published some of these works for the Mount Vernon Ladiesí Association, and several of his sketches of Washington reside in the MVLA Archives.

While the bar is very high for the most memorable and poetic praise of Washington, Pennimanís closing lines in his 1918 work, George Washington as a Man of Letters,deserve at the very least honorable mention:

"Virtue with him was no abstract quality. It lived and breathed in his every act, so that, though he has given us a record of his life with perhaps unequaled minuteness, there is no word which he or we would wish to have blotted out. Washington has demonstrated that manís business here is to know for the sake of living rather than to live for the sake of knowing. His principal legacy is not the thousands of pages he has written but himself. Englandís greatest contribution to the civilization of the world is the works of Shakespeare; Americaís is the character of Washington."EF29AE07-92DC-4923-9AAF-F45DA39E776F 9.40.26 AM.jpeg

IMG_3350.jpegA07B270B-9909-4A4A-9797-C999C2B8E512.jpeg

IMG_3400.jpeg

The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 28,272

Re: George Washington's Mount Vernon

Wonderful. I am certain this visit will be long remembered.

I recently read Ron Chernow’s WASHINGTON A LIFE and agree that our first president accomplished much and along with the other founding fathers launched a fabulous new nation with wonderful ideals.
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

SBH Insider Joined: Feb 2015 Martinsville, NJ Posts: 2,088

You’re family is lovely, John, and your post brought forth my own memories of visiting Mount Vernon with my family. It’s a special place indeed. So glad that many of our National historical sites are available to visit, once again.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 6,779

Family album memories, John!

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2004 virginia Posts: 6,944

You were in my neighborhood.
    www.stbartsphotos.com
    Facebook EMH-Photography

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 11,049

What is the duration of Camp King?
    seems like several weeks!
    We just completed our two week family camp in northern Michigan! Our grandsons said ‘best ever!’

SBH Insider Joined: Sep 2017 Posts: 1,290

My great Uncle Preston took me to Mount Vernon 50+ years ago on a whirlwind visit I made to DC to visit him, also to the National Cathedral, White House, in his 90+ years, visiting all 50 states too. Lived in Nanjemoy on the Potomac. Fond memories of my visit, also to Arlington Cemetery where my uncle killed in WWII was buried, also his other nephew, both young men, 1 Army, the other Navy, cousins.
    Camp King fun !

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2016 Posts: 872

Fresh fish!
    None of that stuff from a barrell for the campers!

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 54,880

One million pounds a year he harvested, barreled and sold!
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023