Joel Robuchon's tapas

didier

Senior Insider
Some of you may know Wilfred, some may not. He has been a fixture off and on at Maya's to Go. He had great news this morning. Starting in Oct., he will be the manager of the downstairs outside section of the new restaurant JR. This feature of the restaurant will not begin until Oct. I was so happy to hear this as I know he will be a great manager! Looking forward to being a regular there.

I anticipate three visits to the restaurant. Once for whatever they’re calling the main multi-course experience, once for the regular menu, and once for the Club menu. Will Wilfred be overseeing the Club menu, or is there another menu which will require a fourth visit?

I anticipate three visits to the restaurant. Once for whatever they’re calling the main multi-course experience, once for the regular menu, and once for the Club menu. Will Wilfred be overseeing the Club menu, or is there another menu which will require a fourth visit?

A nice fellow by the name of Benjamin is the manager of the main restaurant...you will like him too!

Wilfred will be in charge of the section downstairs in the back where the old pipiri used to be located, that section will still be attached somewhat to the main restaurant, they will just be serving different menu items. I love Tapas! I believe work in still going on with that portion of the restaurant right now.

I used to talk with Steve Benjamin, the former Executive Chef at L’Atelier in Las Vegas. Interesting guy, but no connection to your Benjamin in St Barth.

Such a wonderful report, Diana!

Wilfred (a/k/a as "Willy") has been a very good friend for many years, and I'm happy for him to see that his path has led to Robuchon. I look forward to seeing him in the L'Atelier garden.

In this regard, I'll volunteer that I have mixed emotions about the restaurant. I think its spaces, upstairs & down, are tres elegant . . . with incredibly professional, as well as friendly, staff -- Benjamin (so "polished" and modestly elegant), at top of the list! The restaurant, however, as far as I'm concerned, marks a true "tipping point" in island character. It's wonderful . . . I've been treated -- as with other guests -- like I was in a very fine Parisian restaurant when I've been there. It is, nonetheless, indicative, I believe, of a rapidly evolving track that I see on the island that moves away from its roots. Not to say that vestiges of the latter cannot still be found.

The times they are a changing. With Mahé at the helm at Le Select I think we will see some changes. I'm sure each and every generation decried the tipping point.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 5.00.46 PM.jpg

The times they are a changing. With Mahé at the helm at Le Select I think we will see some changes. I'm sure each and every generation decried the tipping point. . . .

One change anticipated . . . I believe that credit cards will be accepted at certain purchase levels.

The times they are a changing. With Mahé at the helm at Le Select I think we will see some changes. I'm sure each and every generation decried the tipping point.

View attachment 58408

dda's father was the chef at the presquille hotel when they had a restaurant. times do change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

some places don't change much, such as the presquille hotel in gustavia, cannot have changed much since the seventies. One of the reasons that Ed likes it so much I believe.

I agree with cec1. That post prompts a reflective observation. Objectively, it feels like a further tipping point - especially replacing Pipri which was our first favorite a long time ago. The rise of restaurants and retail with a direct connection to mainland France and/or established resorts with an international reputation is undeniable. The transition from Do Brazil to Shellona further accelerated the trend and the evolution of the former Le Gustav burger joint to Petite Plage and the establishment of places like Gypsea - both with obvious connections to St. Tropez is further evidence.

All that said, this is not the point in the post where I condemn the changes and long for the days gone by. With 30 years of history with the place, I’ve enjoyed (mostly) the ongoing evolution. I gripe mildly from times to time at 30 dollar cocktails and 40 dollar appetizers, but its a choice and its pretty similar to what we would otherwise spend in the destinations that SBH is positioned with - Aspen, St. Tropez, Santorini, Positano etc. I don’t miss the less reliable internet, lack of a/c etc…. On balance, the collective travel/vacation experience is to a much higher standard than was the case in the past. Also agree that you can find vestiges of the latter - as you can in most international resort destinations.

Nothing is static and I respect the land owners and investors that have to make hard investment decisions. Right now, particularly in what is hopefully the back end of the pandemic, SBH is a great alternative to the places we might otherwise go in the Med without the long haul flight.

I love the place and its evaluation, but my overall investment/risk is pretty limited. While its worked great for a long time, if that’s ever not the case, I can go somewhere else. It’s up to those on the island to make their choices. So far so good and we can’t wait to come back.

To finish where this started, its a different experience than it was in the late 80s and 90s. Not worse, mostly better and just different. If you look at SBH through the same lens as other high end resort destinations, they have all evolved and will continue to. Keeps life interesting.

Too funny. My first stay was something called hotel L’iguane. Was sort of an apartment hotel above Anse de cays in 1991. Ever forward.