Travel Day

Jim A

Senior Insider
Our July trip date was arriving. About the 5th trip in as many years for GM and I and the first one for my kids - 18 year old daughter and 16 year old son. Well the new normal is that your travel day begins 2 days earlier now due to COVID testing requirements. Not complaining because it is so much better now than when we came in November thanks to the acceptance of antigen tests and the general faster turnaround time for all tests. We took our antigen tests Wednesday morning (flights on Friday) at CVS. Results in 20 minutes and then started the EHAS applications. I first filled out the form wrong for two of us and when it never asked us for our test results I realized I did something wrong (I picked SBH as departure airport because the question came after the number of nights stay). After correcting I entered the info for the 4 of us and approvals were back in varying amounts of time (earliest about an hour, longest about 5 hours). All approved. Step one done. Easy peasy.

Up at 3:30am Friday morning to pace the house thinking of what I forgot to pack and out the door at 4:35 for the trip to JFK confident all was good and I had remembered everything for the first time. Of course when I relaxed a little in the car on the way and was thinking more clearly, I started to remember all the things I indeed did forget. ‘Who cares, I’ll buy it there.’ JFK was mobbed even at 5:10 or whenever we arrived. But, no problem as we had plenty of time to catch our 7:59 flight and the lines all moved fine (tip - check in online and use the self check bag kiosks because the checked bag assistance/check in lines were really long). About halfway through the security line it hit me that people were as close together and on top of each other as ever. No worries as all were wearing masks and we are all vaccinated. Shoes on, shoes off, shoes on, etc etc...

We boarded on time and all seemed well. Then we sat for what seemed like longer than usual and a maintenance man came on board. “It must be the phalange my daughter said to me” (if you aren’t a friends fan Google it). We left about 30 minutes late which was only an issue because we only had 90 minutes in between flights to begin with and a checked bag due to sensitive skin sun tan lotion concerns. Our first time with WinAir because there was no availability on SBC. Luckily we booked Vincent’s team at Premium IV for the first time. Off the plane at SXM and only 60 minutes to make our flight. Since our first time with Premium IV we weren’t sure what to think - security, customs, immigration, bag pick up and check in seemed a tall order. Our rep was waiting for us as we walked into the terminal (no shuttle bus for us). The first line (customs, immigration? I can never remember which is which) started right there and looked daunting. But what’s this secret line to the left alongside the traffic jam of travelers that we are walking down? I still wasn’t sure what to think. As we walked and kept walking I realized already there was zero chance of us making our flight alone if we hadn’t booked premium IV and still wasn’t sure if we would anyway. This first line was easily well over an hour I’m sure (maybe 2? I thought). We walked through the airport lines like we were employees. Line after line we just cut to the front or used our “secret lanes”. On the second or third line that we walked right through I realized it wasn’t going to be an issue for us. We got to our gate in less than 10 minutes. Simply amazing. Vincent’s team should be wearing Superman suits. He brought us to the gate, grabbed our luggage tags and was off to bring our bags to the plane. There was zero chance we would have made our flight and perhaps not even the next 2 or 3 flights but here I was selfishly thinking ‘I should have booked the earlier flight. I hate sitting around waiting at the gate’:cool:. When we arrived at SBH we realized our bags weren’t so lucky so we’d have to come back and scoop them up later. But our favorite host Rosita was waiting for us with her usual smile to show us to our first time at Les Jardin D’emmanuel.

What an absolutely beautiful villa. It looks like a resort. My daughter paced around looking at all the spots that would surely set Instagram on fire for the next week with me of course the designated cameraman trying to keep up :laughing-cry:. I lost count at how many poses we had done by dinner, but I guess that’s what Dads are for. A small price to pay. My son and I went back out to the Super Marche-U for provisions and to pick up the bags and we all spent the afternoon evening enjoying the pool and the views at the villa and of course a little rose (I see you popping up little accent “e” but you won’t let me press you). The kids were in their glory, so I was in my glory. It was already clear they “got it” and that it was going to be a great week. Dinner was at Les Bananiers and after doing the parking shuffle we were seated and pizzas and appetizers were on their way. I had my usual tartufata (or as I order it “the one with the truffles please”). The service was friendly and amazing, including GM being offered his (sorry I always forget his name) glasses with a hearty laugh when it was clear the menu print wasn’t her friend. I think GM had the feriere, my daughter and son both the Parma (one with and one w/o mushrooms) and we all had dessert. I split a tiramisu with my son which just meant I ate half of everyone’s. The tiramisu was different than I’m used to but really good and the mango sorbet was fantastic. The chocolate ice cream was pretty good as well. Back to villa for a half hour or so of amazing breezes and the sound of the sea in the background for 3 of us, while the 18 y/o went straight to bed (must have been that tough day of picture taking).in bed by 11 which is a little early for me on vacation but it was a long day. Boys in one room and girls in the other. It was a perfect day other than the ATM machine across from the airport deciding it wanted to eat my card. I laid awake just long enough to realize how incredibly lucky I was and I think those thoughts and the long day of travel knocked me out into an uninterrupted deep sleep. Up before 7 for GM and I having a couple nespressos by the pool with view, which is very unusual on vacation for me and that’s probably why I wrote a 10,000 word essay on a message board just to say we are here and all went well. Today will be croissants when I get my butt out the door and lunch and chairs rented at Pearl beach so the kids can watch the planes take off and experience one type of St Barth beach life before the complete opposite tomorrow which will be a hike to Colombier (my picture taking finger is getting tired just thinking about it). Tonight will be dinner by the water at Bagatelle (thanks to all that mentioned how good the pizza was as this opens it up my daughter who isn’t a sea food lover). Sorry for the rambling but this view and the breeze was just too relaxing...time to start my day...

0C862C7A-474A-4F3E-85A0-4A4579392D6F.jpg

Awesome post. That villa is amazing as is the host!

Enjoy your vacation.

I assume GM is you spouse?

You got lucky with CVS. We arrive on Monday with 3 teens in tow and had our tests scheduled for today. Got a text this morning saying all of our appointments were canceled…Nurse didn’t show up for work. Had to scramble this morning to find another place to do them this afternoon. Nothing like a little extra stress and money thrown in at the last minute…New place is much more expensive to do the test.

Hopefully we can decompress when we get there, assuming we get these tests done.

Have a great vacay!

P.S. Vincent and his team are the best!