Mid trip report 2.0

DCTravler

SBH Member
So a couple of updates.

Nice lunch at the Sand Bar. Really like the relatively new layout and decor. Service was attentive and great as always. Food was good to very good. We did a variety of small plates - ceviche, humus trio and calamari. Humus was the best of the bunch. Still a great spot for a leisurely lunch and one that will stay in the rotation. That said, in the battle of the beachfront lunch places, the best food so far has been at Shellona(mild surprise) with Little Rock a very close second.

Great experience at the Sisley Spa at the Christopher. Consistently the best of the hotel spas. The only place I’ve found that has treatment rooms with direct exposure to the sound and smell of the ocean. Unmatched.

Great thai takeout from Black Ginger. Consistently reliable and pretty close to the quality in the main restaurant- which is always a favorite.

Had dinner at Orega. Candidly, its been a favorite, if not “the favorite”, since it opened. Unfortunately, a little less impressed this time. The menu is shorter than in the past and not posted online. That proved to be limiting. It was good, but the fusion and flavors were not as strong as was the case historically. It’s also very expensive - which is fine and not unexpected. At the same time, when starters are priced between 40 and 60 euros, it needs to be really good and it was in the good, but not great category. In the past, the Omakase option was really innovative and justified the price. That was not offered in the current iteration. Got the sense that the perspective was not an exclusive one. A couple of other tables turned fairly quickly without dessert. Nice wine list and still an enjoyable evening. Just be aware of the scale of the menu in proportion to the cost. In comparing similarly priced “fusion” sorts of places, Bonito was the much better option this time around.

25 Quarter has reopened. Appeared to not be seating the bar based on covid restrictions - which seemed responsible. Hands down the strongest cocktail/mixology program on the island. Really great drinks and service. Fun spot and a favorite for a proper after dinner drink.

All for now…..

DCTraveler, What did you have at Lil' Rock? I love the location and the people, but I have stuck with the Burger and the Chef Salad as reliable lunches.

We did gazpacho, the burrata and veggies and the grilled sea bass. The latter was a daily special. Simply grilled and served with some very well conceptualized lightly grilled vegetables. Always a great sign when there is equal effort invested in the garnish. Dish was a perfect toes in the sand entree and they were kind enough to portion a single order for two. Easily as good as anything we have had in the med. For context, dining ritual tends to be lunch or dinner out, but rarely both the same day. Doing “dinner” for lunch allows for extended enjoyment of the ocean views!

Doing “dinner” for lunch allows for extended enjoyment of the ocean views!

I've always said that we rent villas with million-dollar views, and then spend way too much time "out" rather than enjoying the views. I've been working on doing more meals "in". I was getting good at it, but COVID.