Villa housekeeping tip

Cwater

Senior Insider
Greetings St. Barth friends, I know this subject has been discussed previously however I can’t find it. Question…what do you suggest in the way of gratuities for housecleaning? We have been here for 11 days thanks.

The general rule of thumb is $5/day/bedroom used. I think that's a pretty good guide.

Phil

Thanks all. This was a memorable trip. Due to missing last year because of Covid and the island just awakening and bustling…plus seeing Phil and Amy last night…what else is there? See you on the beach

Leaving a tip for the maid is a very nice gesture. when I managed a villa on the island. some guests left nothing, it was usually the guests that were the most needy. most guests left 50 euros for the week regardless of bedrooms used. some left 100 euros even if they only used one bedroom. However we only used maid service every other day at this villa, not every day.

The maids that are on the island who work for the individual villas have to pay for their own health care, the owners pay the maids between 18 to 20 euros per hour. most of the time the maids are in and out of the villa quickly, approx around 2 hours per visit. then they go to a different villa to work. this ea ats up lot of travel time for them.

So please tip the maids, they work hard for you and make sure your vacation is a great one!

Greetings St. Barth friends, I know this subject has been discussed previously however I can’t find it. Question…what do you suggest in the way of gratuities for housecleaning? We have been here for 11 days thanks.

I have never heard the 5 euro per day discussed but I have frequently heard the 10 euro per day and know that many people do a little more.

I have never heard the 5 euro per day discussed but I have frequently heard the 10 euro per day and know that many people do a little more.
Many a man will include a splash of champagne on the front end…

My practice is to tip either 5 or 10 per day, $ or €, grossed up if the € is noticeably higher than the $.

Some maids really only earn the 5.

Others really earn the 10.

Sometimes I gift a bottle of VC for the weekend or for a holiday.

Many years ago, I had a maid who was born St Barth. On French Mother's Day, she brought us a huge slice of the cake which her son had given her for Mother's Day. She was so proud of the cake and amazed by the cake - which was truly beautiful. I won't say what I ended up tipping her, but it wasn't 5. Or 10.

I also can't say that I ever gifted my own mother with a more beautiful cake - her son really knocked it out of the park.

We tip between 10 and 15 DOLLARS a day depending on the quality of service and, As Steve Martin aka (Vinnie Antonelli) said in My Blue heaven “ l don’t tip, i over tip”

How about the rep from the villa rental company?
the only time we saw him was when we moved in. And we contacted a lot by text when we got a flat tire in the driveway and our fridge broke.

I always tip the guy a twenty for bringing all the bags in from the car and showing us around.

He is offering to bring our bags over to Les Mouettes, so I guess I’ll give him 40€

He is offering to bring our bags over to Les Mouettes, so I guess I’ll give him 40€

Spend it like it is your own, because it is!

How to follow the advice found herein. An oft repeated PSA of mine

1. Spend money like it is your own. It is.

2. Do what you like, when you like. It is your vacation.

3. Eat what you want, when and where you want. It is your waistline and (see #1)

4. Drink what you want when you want. If your spouse likes red and you like white, buy one bottle of each. Life is short.

5. Stay in a villa, hotel, or a hole-in-the-wall depending on your whim, desire or see #1.

6. Cook in your villa (if a villa is your desire) if you want to. Go out for dinner if you like.

7. Plan ahead at least a day for dinner, or don't. Experience flexibility.

8. Go to a beach everyday, or stay by the pool at your hotel/villa.

9. Watch US TV at every opportunity, or not. It's your vacation.

10. Seek out the places that sell days-old New York Times, or current Times Fax. Do the crosswords, or don't.

11. Bring you laptop/tablet and surf the web morning, noon and night. Or leave it behind.

12. Make sure your cell has international roaming and call your homebound friends whilst splashing in the surf to engender envy. Or leave the cell at home.

13. Charge everything on your AmEx knowing that you are getting ripped off, or use your debit card at an ATM and pay cash.

14. Wake up extra early and be the first in line at the boulangerie and bring back bread for your spouse. Or take your spouse out for breakfast.

15. Bring your iPod/streaming device and speakers, or listen to the local FM station.

16, Always rent a manual 4WD, or an automatic if you are more comfortable.

17. Bring hairdryers, curling irons and other instruments of torture, or go with the humid breezes.

18. Tip for meals, maids and massages, or not. See #1.

19. Research your villa/hotel selections and gain consensus that you have the best-of-the-best, or book on a whim and enjoy the surprise.

20. Dress for dinner, or wear cutoffs. Nobody will care except your spouse/partner.

21. When you arrive, take off your shoes, take a deep breath and become one with the island, or head out to Match for some shopping.

22. Ride a bike, go for a run or go for a walk. Or, be a beach potato.

23. Pack three checked bags, or carry-on.

24. Take your ti punch with or without ice.

25. But, please, please, please double the cash you plan bring and leave half the clothes at home!