DAMAGE RECOVERY UNIT ALAMO CAR RENTAL

didier

Senior Insider
Imagine my surprise waking up to a bill from the recovery unit from alamo this morning. I don't understand as I returned the car in perfect condition. The fellow who checked in my car rental looked over the car with a fine tooth comb. He even opened the door to check the roof of the car since it had a sunroof. He was satisfied that the car had no damage and gave me my receipt. I thought this was the gold standard, to get a receipt after returning a car. nothing noted about any damage.

Now I receive a bill for a windshield repair for 465 dollars. I wrote a letter to the ceo of alamo group this morning to see if he could help with this obviously fraudulent claim.

Has anyone else in here received anything like this after returning a rental car?

You should also contact your credit card company and ask them to help. My understanding is that once a clean receipt is issued, the renter is off the hook. Again, your cc company should be able to assist you. At the very least, you should deny the charge. Alamo will then have to justify the charge to your cc company as well.

Good luck.

Phil

thanks Phil. I definitely am denying the claim. funny thing is that I returned the car to baltimore bwi. the receipt for the replacement of the whole windshield was out of ohio.

very odd. I wrote to the ceo of alamo this morning, odd thing is that he responded and said that he is not the president of the rental car company but gave me the person who is in charge of alamo/ enterprise holdings, that is Chrissy Taylor enterprise holdings. I have written to her and so far no response. she may not respond on sundays.

I will take it up with the credit card company tomorrow which is in st. barths. this card insurance covers rental cards out of the country, but I will ask them to also deny the claim if submitted to my card. its not a lot of money, but I have been researching this on the internet and it says that alamo, national and enterprise rentals are all doing this. its random, a way to make more money because of the lean times from covid? I have read horror stories of people who returned their car in perfect condition. and was socked with a large damage claim. some over 2000 dollars.

Funny thing is that I used to take pics of the car when I returned it, but have had such a good experience with alamo, I stopped doing that. I always use costco car rental program when I rent a car for the savings.

I will no longer rent from the big 3.

They are supposed to give you a list of damages before they take the car back. The receipt you got is evidence in my view that there was no damage when you turned it in. Definitely contest the claim with your cc.

Many states require automobile insurance provide windshield coverage with a $0 deductible. Your insurance in SBH may be different. However, this may explain an unscrupulous rental agency trying to exact $$$ from you personally, knowing you have no recourse in Maryland.

Scam I think, knowing you are not in USA perhaps ? Keep fighting the charge. Let us know outcome please.

Scam I think, knowing you are not in USA perhaps ? Keep fighting the charge. Let us know outcome please.

thanks I have looked online and lots of people in the bwi and dc area are getting this from Alamo and enterprise car rentals. most are people who have left for an early flight and did not have someone to check out the car for them. that was not the case with me, someone gave the car a once over, he even opened the door and stood on the floorboard to check the roof since there was a sunroof on the suv. seems this is only happening with national, enterprise and alamo.

some people have actually fought this claim, some did nothing and it went to a collection agency. it seems they do not have the authority to actually charge the credit card that I used to rent the car, they do not even give me any details or pictures. I have written to the ceo of enterprise since they own alamo. I hope she will respond and perhaps she can put a stop to this. My guess is that someone is getting a kickback for reporting false damages.

no more renting from alamo, national or enterprise for me.

We rented a car last week from Avis at SFO airport. As soon as we got on the road we noticed a small crack in windshield. We immediately called Avis and reported it and I took picture that has the time and date...imagining we would have been charged for that upon return..

We rented a car last week from Avis at SFO airport. As soon as we got on the road we noticed a small crack in windshield. We immediately called Avis and reported it and I took picture that has the time and date...imagining we would have been charged for that upon return..

I rented at avis at sfo last week too. small world. I was there on the 6th of June, drove along the pacific coast south....wonderful drive.

We have made that drive numerous times. One of our favorite places to stay is The Post Ranch Inn. Need to reserve up to a year in advance though.

Has the highway been fully repaired since the fires?

Hopper, one of my all time favorite places to stay--Post Ranch Inn.

My current Desktop on Mac OS Big Sur

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 9.01.57 AM.jpg

Comes with the Mac and dynamically changes with the hour as the light changes

Midnight

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 9.28.17 AM.jpg