Eve and Jim Day 2

Eve

Senior Insider
Well we arrived nice and early, but too early to check in to Les Ilets, and breakfast was a necessity. Jim talks about the scrambled eggs at Le Repaire all the time, so we decided to go there before the supermarket to get all the things we couldn't pack in our carry ons, namely, suntan lotion. I broke my back tooth right before we left, and the dentist didn't want to do the oral surgery before I left. So I had a giant swollen golf ball in my back upper gum, so had to eat food I didnt have to chew, since my teeth could not come together. Ugh. It resolved after about a week.

IMG_7437.jpg
IMG_7438.jpg

After we ate, we headed over to the new Super U. Don't even try to park of the entry level. At most there are 12 spaces. Head straight to the roof and take the "escalator" down. The most noticeable changes were that there is a huge fresh meat department, as well as the usual prepared foods. But they also have a big paella pot filled with the special of the day, and it is there until it is all gone. We saw paella, boeuf bourguignon, and a fish or shrimp in a creamy sauce. We met people who ate in almost every night, and often had that. Note that if you are looking for bakery goods, don't go there. Stick to Petite Colombe or Choisy. They have all the breads from those 2 shops, since there are evidently baguette "teams". Wine section is much bigger than before

IMG_7439.jpg
IMG_7440.jpg

We got over to Les Ilets by 9, because I figured we couldn't check in until 3, but she had been waiting for us since 8. And our room was ready. I was hoping it wasn't at the tippity top, since its a killer, but it was. But after 2 days, I was basically running up.

IMG_7449.jpg

We immediately headed over to La Perle, and no Jean Michele yet, so we ended up sitting in the La Perle chairs. We were literally the only ones there.
We got our front table, and ordered the mandatory bottle of Minuity. Lunch was mind blowing, of course. As always on day 1. I had the unbelievably good Chicken Milanese with frites, (not easy when you can't chew) and Jim had the Thai Beef. The ocean was pretty choppy, and it was windy the whole time we were there, but I am not complaining at all!

IMG_7445.jpg
IMG_7446.jpg
IMG_7447.jpg
IMG_7448.jpg

For dinner we went back to Le Repaire for our Mandatory first night dinner, at our favorite corner table. Not so hungry, Jim had the pate, and I had a non-chewable, amazing vegetable soup!! We started with the accras, but too many for 2 of us, and kind of donutty. We had a roaming, suave, homeless? drunk? Frenchman, Rene, come over to our table to chat, and asked to sit down. Evidently he has been on the island for 30 years, but I would have remembered him. He asked if he could sit with us. He explained that he was a showman in the old La Banane show. Could barely speak english. I thought he was quite entertaining, but I could see the staff whispering, and our waitress finally came over and said something to him. He asked if he could stay with us (free meal), and I said no (tough for me, the people pleaser) it was our first night but he could have the rest of our accras. He didn't want them either. LOL. He left upon her request and headed to hang out at the ferry dock.

IMG_7473.jpg
IMG_7484.jpg
IMG_7487.jpg
IMG_7488.jpg
IMG_7489.jpg

We finished up with our (several) glasses of rum, and of course our Dame Blanche. The we walked around the quiet streets and ooohed and ahhhed at the windows, which we never do. But we were so appreciative to be there we didn't want to miss a thing.

IMG_7490.jpg
IMG_7491.jpg

I am sure Eve pre-rinsed somewhere..

If the need ever again arises, know there are wonderful state of the art dentists on the island.

I am sure Eve pre-rinsed somewhere..

If the need ever again arises, know there are wonderful state of the art dentists on the island.

my dentist thought I would need serious oral surgery. I told him I didn’t think so since I kept pushing the tooth back in with my tongue. He got it out in 1 second

Glad the ‘oral surgery’ was so easy.
A grand Day 2 report!
We love Le Repaire! The bakeries are the only way to go for the breads, rolls and pastries.

. . . For dinner we went back to Le Repaire for our Mandatory first night dinner, at our favorite corner table . . . We had a roaming, suave, homeless? drunk? Frenchman, Rene, come over to our table to chat, and asked to sit down. Evidently he has been on the island for 30 years, but I would have remembered him. He asked if he could sit with us. He explained that he was a showman in the old La Banane show. Could barely speak english. I thought he was quite entertaining, but I could see the staff whispering, and our waitress finally came over and said something to him. He asked if he could stay with us (free meal), and I said no (tough for me, the people pleaser) it was our first night but he could have the rest of our accras. He didn't want them either. LOL. He left upon her request and headed to hang out at the ferry.

You did the right thing, Eve. It’s a sad situation . . . I know Reneé for many years. One of those situations where even family has been unable to favorably intervene.

Sorry for your tooth problem . . . a nightmare, even on SBH!

You did the right thing, Eve. It’s a sad situation . . . I know Reneé for many years. One of those situations where even family has been unable to favorably intervene.

Sorry for your tooth problem . . . a nightmare, even on SBH!

Wow. A character on the island I have need heard of