First visit to SBH for our 20th- er, 21st, anniversary this July

I wear shorts and flip flops all day long but when we go out in the evening I'm more likely to wear long pants if we are going somewhere nicer as my better half is usually better dressed so I need to look the part. If you wear shorts, take a can of Off or whatever repellent you like to use and spray your legs before you go in. The times I've forgotten to do that my legs look like I have some sort of pox. If you go out hiking, light weight long sleeve shirt and pants I find are better than shorts and a t shirt. Shorts and a T aren't really cooler and with the sun, I find my skin appreciates the cover. So does my dermatologist.

Back to your celebrations - we have celebrated our 20th, 25th, 30th and 35th on the island! A grand place for any and every celebration. Pro tips: flowers are available for delivery. Chefs can be arranged at your villa - they can drive the narrow road for you. Private dinners on the beach could be arranged. Unfortunately I believe the two closest hotels will be dark during your stay. The Guanahani has yet to reopen from Irma and I think Le Toiny closed until next season. Eden Rock would also be a great evening for you and they would love to plan a special meal with festive trimmings. On reservations, if you went through an agency, they are happy to do your bookings. I use a combination of social media DMs and the Access St. Barth to make our reservations.

Welcome, enjoy and good luck!

Don’t know that you “need” long pants at dinner. But, at a stylish place like Bonito (on your list) you might feel a bit underdressed in shorts.
Many of us always where long pants after dark. Or to mass.
I'm with Cassidain on this. Perhaps, no one will kick you out for wearing shorts to dinner, but you will likely be a minority of one at many places. Many people dress up a bit because that is part of the fun of dining out. Not suit and tie, but a little style and flair of some kind to show you care about this meal. Linen and long sleeves are a well worn standard. Come to think of it, the most stylish people will be wearing less on the beach and more in the restaurants than the typical American. Like many things on St Barth, a lot is optional. I am not stylish by nature, but I do what I can when on island. Personally, I want long pants and closed shoes on after dark anyway, just as protection against mosquitos, which typically aren't overwhelming, but do make it a habit to find ankles, feet and toes. My wife laughs at me because the mosquitos seem to ignore her.

My advice to first timers always include these two tips. 1)Try to visit different beaches every day. Wind, weather and time of day will give them different feelings so hold off picking a favorite until you've seen a few. 2)Don't dawdle for lunch. Most places have set lunch hours so if you're going to eat out for lunch decide early and stick to your schedule. Otherwise you'll invariable get there late and miss their hours (at least we always do.) The corollary:: For the ultimate in luxury buy the pre-made baguette sandwiches at the bakeries (even a day early if need be) and eat them (in the shade) at the beach or villa rather than wasting a day chasing your tail around. Nothing finer at any price than hiking to Colombier beach with a baguette jambon and fromage in the backpack and a big bottle of water.

I wear shorts and flip flops all day long but when we go out in the evening I'm more likely to wear long pants if we are going somewhere nicer as my better half is usually better dressed so I need to look the part. If you wear shorts, take a can of Off or whatever repellent you like to use and spray your legs before you go in. The times I've forgotten to do that my legs look like I have some sort of pox. If you go out hiking, light weight long sleeve shirt and pants I find are better than shorts and a t shirt. Shorts and a T aren't really cooler and with the sun, I find my skin appreciates the cover. So does my dermatologist.

bkeats, excellent point on the long sleeves during the day. Is it TMI to say that I pack a handful of long sleeve shirts that I wear first in the evening after a pre-dinner shower and then wear that same shirt throughout the next day hiking and beaching, at which point it is totaled. That night, out comes the next fresh shirt and the cycle continues. Sorry ladies, I have said too much about the secret things guys do, but it cuts the laundry by 1/2 and we're in a convertible by day anyway.

I wouldn't see myself being comfortable in shorts and flip-flops as the higher end dining options.

I'll be sure to pack a long sleeve shirt for sun protection on the hikes. I usually wear long sleeve shirts when fishing on the ocean for the same reason.

I usually pack two pairs of nice shorts, three "tommy bahama" shirts and nice loafers for our dinners. Have never brought long pants nor socks. For lunch, we are usually coming from a beach, so I change into black "athletic" shorts and a nice T-shirt. Done the latter at Sand Bar and never felt out of place nor treated differently.

bkeats, excellent point on the long sleeves during the day. Is it TMI to say that I pack a handful of long sleeve shirts that I wear first in the evening after a pre-dinner shower and then wear that same shirt throughout the next day hiking and beaching, at which point it is totaled. That night, out comes the next fresh shirt and the cycle continues. Sorry ladies, I have said too much about the secret things guys do, but it cuts the laundry by 1/2 and we're in a convertible by day anyway.
Not at all..TMI would be practically live streaming a search for white underware 'cause your white linen pants are a bit too see through.

But who would do that???

I only been to the island once two years ago, and had a great time. I never wore pants. I packed them because I thought I would need them, but I did not see anyone wearing pants to dinner or even on the island. I also went in late June, as I am planning for this year, and it was warm and not crowded at any restaurant. I specifically remembering saying to my wife that next time we come I am not bringing a pair of pants because nobody was wearing them. I did not wear socks either except on the plane flight to and from. This may be different during a different time of the year, but I ate at Bonito, Tamarin, and other restaurants in shorts. Nice shorts, not cargo. I plan on doing the same.

I thinks long pants discussion has been the most longstanding controversy since I joined this Forum in 2004. I like to wear them in the evening and my wife prefers them to seeing my hairy legs. YMMV.

I guess key point is YMMV.
To each, his or her own Saint-Barth.
To one, it’s flip flops and shorts.
To another, it’s chic couture and red-soled Louboutins.
Vive la différence :cool:

You can’t go wrong in St. Barth. We have had so many more great experiences than negative ones since our honeymoon in 1987. Leave your troubles at the airport where you begin your experience. Pick them up when you get back home. You will find that your troubles are not so bad as they were when you first left. See you on the beach...

As for long pants....I brought long pants in 1987 and have not brought them since. No one cares. To each their own. If you wish to wear long pants do so. I can’t imagine a restaurant or hotel asking one to leave due to shorts. I have condensed my clothing into one small carry on especially since Villa Acajous has their own washer and dryer. Even before it became the place to be it was the one place that we have visited in the world that we can just be ourselves. Additionally we are so glad that St. Barth has eliminated the compelling reason in order to travel to our favorite Island. They let Sir Paul and his wife in weeks ago they might as well let us in now!

I guess key point is YMMV.
To each, his or her own Saint-Barth.
To one, it’s flip flops and shorts.
To another, it’s chic couture and red-soled Louboutins.
Vive la différence :cool:

I'm glad to hear the vibe on the island seems to be that of live and let live. We like to dress to the occasion, but not to impress.

I could pull of these red soles, but Louboutins not so much.
SMS11116_Jam-Sandwich_0.jpg

Boulangerie Choisy has a location at L’Oasis (near U Express which will be an option nearer to you for groceries). You will be happy with the morning pastries on offer. Parking is much easier that Petite Colombe and the ladies are exceptionally nice and welcoming.

JPAX..and you can pick up quiches, wraps, sandwiches and salads for other villa or outdoor on the road meals