Saliva Covid Test

EasyTime2

SBH Member
Rather than going through the horrible nose swab test, is the new saliva-based Covid test acceptable for entry into Saint Barth? Or coming back to the U.S.?

"Check with your airlines" is a good suggestion, but lets go to the basics first.

Nothing that I've read about the SBH testing requirements mentions anything more specific than rtPCR. Is the saliva test which you mention rtPCR? If not, it's a non-starter. Antigen tests are no longer accepted.

Not all rtPCR tests require the long swab which many detest. I've had two tests, both of which were done with Anterior Nasal swabs which went no more than an inch or so into my nostril. Easy, no fuss, no pain, over quickly.

Depending on the route which you are traveling, you may have another consideration. If you're traveling through SXM then you have to comply with the SXM EHAS requirement, even if you are only in transit. https://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/ Same for your return trip.

Returning to the US, the CDC website does not specify the type of test, only that one be performed within 3 days of arrival. An Antigen test at the Red Cross testing site, or at one of the island Pharmacies, would be accepted. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

"Check with your airlines" is a good suggestion, but lets go to the basics first.

Nothing that I've read about the SBH testing requirements mentions anything more specific than rtPCR. Is the saliva test which you mention rtPCR? If not, it's a non-starter. Antigen tests are no longer accepted.

Not all rtPCR tests require the long swab which many detest. I've had two tests, both of which were done with Anterior Nasal swabs which went no more than an inch or so into my nostril. Easy, no fuss, no pain, over quickly.

Depending on the route which you are traveling, you may have another consideration. If you're traveling through SXM then you have to comply with the SXM EHAS requirement, even if you are only in transit. https://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/ Same for your return trip.

Returning to the US, the CDC website does not specify the type of test, only that one be performed within 3 days of arrival. An Antigen test at the Red Cross testing site, or at one of the island Pharmacies, would be accepted. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

Thank you. I checked with Tradewind and that is exactly as you stated.

I just took a PCR test and it was a soft swab and very gentle.

Unfortunately, my wife heard from a relative about a woman who ended up having an operation due to damage from the nasal PCR test. That is why I inquired about the saliva test. Bummer that the saliva test can't be used to enter SBH. Especially if it qualifies to enter the U.S.

"Bummer that the saliva test can't be used to enter SBH."

EasyTime2, where did you you get that info? Tradewinds? I too have only seen that upon arrival it must be the PCR test (not specified as to sample origin).

"Bummer that the saliva test can't be used to enter SBH."

EasyTime2, where did you you get that info? Tradewinds? I too have only seen that upon arrival it must be the PCR test (not specified as to sample origin).

Yes. Tradewinds. "All approved inbound visitors are required to present a negative COVID-19 rt-PCR test (nasopharyngeal preferred, nasal also accepted) taken within 3 days prior to arrival in St Barths. Antigen tests are no longer accepted."

Check with the testing places in your area. There most be some who do the Anterior Nasal (AN) swab rather than the Nasopharyngeal. The AN swab is fast, easy and painless.

Unfortunately, my wife heard from a relative about a woman who ended up having an operation due to damage from the nasal PCR test. That is why I inquired about the saliva test. Bummer that the saliva test can't be used to enter SBH. Especially if it qualifies to enter the U.S.

That's extreme swabbing and not necessary at all. Your experience shouldn't be horrible. I've had four nasal COVID PCR tests and for three, which were the 2 inch deep swabs, I was able to self-swab and the last one was taken by a doctor and was a gentle 1-2 second swab.

There is a COVID breath test that gives results within 1 minute that has been approved by Singapore. That would be great if that test becomes the norm. Wonder if the test would pick up a Château Margaux or a Clos Beylesse on my breath...!

An idea for the moderators- there are questions daily about what is required for travel to SBH. The answer is not always the same as it is a moving ‘target.’ The most reliable, up to date source for the answer is the airlines. How could the Forum make say a banner that maybe says ‘For all covid related travel requirements for SBH, please check with your airlines. Their information will most likely be more accurate than from a poster on the Forum.’

We could, but it may not be true. Consider the unofficial vaccine letter. That was created and administrated by agencies and hotels. Within a few weeks these confusing rules and processes will undoubtedly be reduced to a vaccination certification and/or a test.

For people who are vaccinated (with a vaccine accepted by the Country in question), I would hope that at some point soon the requirement for an rt-PCR test (or really any test at all) goes away. It's just the logical next step. I'm surprised we aren't there already.