Thread: Heads up if you go through PR to go back to us

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2008 Boston Posts: 8,292

Heads up if you go through PR to go back to us

2 hrs to get through security, and no restaurants open but dominos and Popeyes.
    I have no idea why the businesses arenít open.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 5,994

Re: Heads up if you go through PR to go back to us

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    2 hrs to get through security, and no restaurants open but dominos and Popeyes.
    I have no idea why the businesses aren’t open.

did u take the early morning flight 9:30 a.m.? that is the one I am taking next thursday.

Are the airline lounges open? I am sure the Tradewind lounge will be What about Aviance lounge?

Tradewinds is. Don’t know about the other.
    I took the 11:20

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 6,597

Horrible! Do you have "Frequent Traveler" (or whatever it's called) status?

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 54,538

Pre-Check! I nearly forget too!

Name:  C7123BF7-F123-4170-B558-A9C18AA53C35.jpeg
Views: 608
Size:  685.1 KB
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Member Joined: Dec 2012 montgomery al. Posts: 148

I was wondering why Dominos stock was so high. Over 400/share

Coming back in to the USA from France (SBH) you would best be served by the Global Entry program. A whiff of your passport, and you are done.

I also recommend the global entry program. Absolutely a huge time saver, also, when you are a member of the global entry program you are also enrolled in TSA precheck. The price difference is only $15 US and is good for five years if I remember correctly.

Senior Insider Joined: Apr 2004 Austin, TX Posts: 9,842

Quote Originally Posted by St.Bart stole my B’Heart View Post
    I also recommend the global entry program. Absolutely a huge time saver, also, when you are a member of the global entry program you are also enrolled in TSA precheck. The price difference is only $15 US and is good for five years if I remember correctly.
    And the cost rebated with the AMEX Platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    And the cost rebated with the AMEX Platinum.
    And Centurion . . .

I have had Global Entry for about 4 years now. IMO, the only way to fly internationally. When I came back from the Bahamas last month, the customs hall was overflowing, and they had to queue people in the hallway. It took me approximately 5 minutes to entering the customs hall to exiting the airport. I asked someone else that was exiting with me how long it had taken them and they said it was almost 2 hours.
    A handful of credit cards rebate the cost of it. Dennis mentioned the Amex Platinum. I know that the Chase IHG card and Chase United Airlines card also does. There are more, a google search will find them.
    The meaning of life is to live it.

SBH Member Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 83

Maybe I'm new to this St. Barths thing, and haven't figured it all out yet, but I am not quite understanding this major advantage with this Tradwinds strategy. I can fly 2 hours from Miami and take a fantastic 10 minute SBC flight at low altitude or take the same two hour flight through Puerto Rico and then an hour at 28K feet in a slightly nicer small plane and spend thousands more. What am i missing guys ?

Many of us are two flights from SXM, but only one from SJU. Many of us just prefer to avoid SXM. Some of us like to overnight in SJU and arrive SBH bright and early. YMMV.

SBH Member Joined: Dec 2020 Posts: 83

Ok, that makes sense JEK. I live in Miami so i love the way i went first time (and next). SBC is a fun little plane and it's 2 hours to SXM.

SBH Insider Joined: Mar 2014 Houston Posts: 463

A few years ago, we had a 30 minute layover in ATL. Arrived at the the most southwest gate and raced to the most northeast gate to get to SXM. Never again! Now, direct flight from Houston (IAH) to SJU and then 1 hour to SBH. Ahhhhhh......

We got through customs faster than the global entry people. From what I can tell, there is no separate line for TSA pre-check. I saw no signs for no it, and we usually get it ( I think because of Jim’s age

Quote Originally Posted by TR561 View Post
    Maybe I'm new to this St. Barths thing, and haven't figured it all out yet, but I am not quite understanding this major advantage with this Tradwinds strategy. I can fly 2 hours from Miami and take a fantastic 10 minute SBC flight at low altitude or take the same two hour flight through Puerto Rico and then an hour at 28K feet in a slightly nicer small plane and spend thousands more. What am i missing guys ?
    We only usually take Tradewinds on the way out to avoid customs in JFK or Boston. Just had lots of credits to use

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A. Posts: 10,432

Wow!
    Never had a two hour wait in SJU.
    And people are just beginning to travel- it will only get longer. Global Entry is the key!

Global Entry wonít help you with the wait in SJU. Clearing customs is simple with or without Global Entry. The problem is you have to retrieve your luggage and recheck it and then go through security. Quite the frigginí hassle. We did it last month, and as the original post indicated, food choices suck at SJU airport.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,333

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide View Post
    Global Entry won’t help you with the wait in SJU. Clearing customs is simple with or without Global Entry. The problem is you have to retrieve your luggage and recheck it and then go through security. Quite the friggin’ hassle. We did it last month, and as the original post indicated, food choices suck at eh SJU airport.
    I don't know if TW offers a VIP package when traveling North. Would a wheelchair be an alternative for those who have limited mobility, and for whom 2 hours would be a challenge?

SBH Member Joined: Mar 2010 south carolina, usa Posts: 148

The priority pass lounge was open, with limited - I mean limited - food selections. soft drinks. a clean bathroom. that's about all.

Senior Insider Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 21,333

Quote Originally Posted by bethwoff View Post
    The priority pass lounge was open, with limited - I mean limited - food selections. soft drinks. a clean bathroom. that's about all.
    For me, that clean bathroom is the number one priority. I might nibble on whatever food is available, and I might grab a bottle of water, I might even use their wi-fi (through my VPN), but I'm fairly certain that I've never sampled their free alcohol. That clean bathroom though, that is the most attractive feature.

SBH New Member Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 10

Global Entry is great , we also use an App called Mobile Passport, same line as Global and no need to use kiosks. Not all airports use but definately worth a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by stbartshopper View Post
    Wow!
    Never had a two hour wait in SJU.
    And people are just beginning to travel- it will only get longer. Global Entry is the key!

Eve's wait was for security -- SJU does have TSA Pre-Check.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 44,926

Quote Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
    I don't know if TW offers a VIP package when traveling North. Would a wheelchair be an alternative for those who have limited mobility, and for whom 2 hours would be a challenge?
    You hit a sore spot with me, Tradewind and a wheelchair. Never fly them again nor would I recommend anyone needing a wheelchair to fly them.

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,183

Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Eve's wait was for security -- SJU does have TSA Pre-Check.
    Thank you for clarifying that JEK. I would hope the Jet Blue go to the front of the line after paying for more leg room might help with any potential extended wait time.
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    Thank you for clarifying that JEK. I would hope the Jet Blue go to the front of the line after paying for more leg room might help with any potential extended wait time.
    Our return in April was first class on United.......but no priority line that we found that we were able to take advantage of in SJU. It was completely disorganized chaos. You clear customs, get your bags, go upstairs to your check in desk, take your bags back to another scanning area for some special tag, go back to the check in desk to check your bags, and then proceed to wait in line forever. You quickly realize your Barths vacation is over.