Heads up if you go through PR to go back to us

Eve

Senior Insider
2 hrs to get through security, and no restaurants open but dominos and Popeyes.
I have no idea why the businesses aren’t open.

2 hrs to get through security, and no restaurants open but dominos and Popeyes.
I have no idea why the businesses aren’t open.

did u take the early morning flight 9:30 a.m.? that is the one I am taking next thursday.

Pre-Check! I nearly forget too!

C7123BF7-F123-4170-B558-A9C18AA53C35.jpeg

Coming back in to the USA from France (SBH) you would best be served by the Global Entry program. A whiff of your passport, and you are done.

I also recommend the global entry program. Absolutely a huge time saver, also, when you are a member of the global entry program you are also enrolled in TSA precheck. The price difference is only $15 US and is good for five years if I remember correctly.

St.Bart stole my B’Heart;1043672 said:
I also recommend the global entry program. Absolutely a huge time saver, also, when you are a member of the global entry program you are also enrolled in TSA precheck. The price difference is only $15 US and is good for five years if I remember correctly.

And the cost rebated with the AMEX Platinum.

I have had Global Entry for about 4 years now. IMO, the only way to fly internationally. When I came back from the Bahamas last month, the customs hall was overflowing, and they had to queue people in the hallway. It took me approximately 5 minutes to entering the customs hall to exiting the airport. I asked someone else that was exiting with me how long it had taken them and they said it was almost 2 hours.
A handful of credit cards rebate the cost of it. Dennis mentioned the Amex Platinum. I know that the Chase IHG card and Chase United Airlines card also does. There are more, a google search will find them.

Maybe I'm new to this St. Barths thing, and haven't figured it all out yet, but I am not quite understanding this major advantage with this Tradwinds strategy. I can fly 2 hours from Miami and take a fantastic 10 minute SBC flight at low altitude or take the same two hour flight through Puerto Rico and then an hour at 28K feet in a slightly nicer small plane and spend thousands more. What am i missing guys ?

Many of us are two flights from SXM, but only one from SJU. Many of us just prefer to avoid SXM. Some of us like to overnight in SJU and arrive SBH bright and early. YMMV.

Ok, that makes sense JEK. I live in Miami so i love the way i went first time (and next). SBC is a fun little plane and it's 2 hours to SXM.

A few years ago, we had a 30 minute layover in ATL. Arrived at the the most southwest gate and raced to the most northeast gate to get to SXM. Never again! Now, direct flight from Houston (IAH) to SJU and then 1 hour to SBH. Ahhhhhh......

We got through customs faster than the global entry people. From what I can tell, there is no separate line for TSA pre-check. I saw no signs for no it, and we usually get it ( I think because of Jim’s age

Maybe I'm new to this St. Barths thing, and haven't figured it all out yet, but I am not quite understanding this major advantage with this Tradwinds strategy. I can fly 2 hours from Miami and take a fantastic 10 minute SBC flight at low altitude or take the same two hour flight through Puerto Rico and then an hour at 28K feet in a slightly nicer small plane and spend thousands more. What am i missing guys ?
We only usually take Tradewinds on the way out to avoid customs in JFK or Boston. Just had lots of credits to use

Wow!
Never had a two hour wait in SJU.
And people are just beginning to travel- it will only get longer. Global Entry is the key!

Global Entry won’t help you with the wait in SJU. Clearing customs is simple with or without Global Entry. The problem is you have to retrieve your luggage and recheck it and then go through security. Quite the friggin’ hassle. We did it last month, and as the original post indicated, food choices suck at SJU airport.