House wine (vin maison)

I don't drink many Cabs, but there is usually a bottle of the Far Niente Chard in my wine fridge. A restaurant which I frequented, probably more than I should have, had the Chard mispriced on their menu - only about twice the retail cost, LOL.

The label is, I think, the most beautiful that I have ever seen.

But, getting back to the original post, Far Niente is not a house wine in anybody's world.

It would be if I ruled the world. ;)

My dear wife and I love chardonnay but are much more partial to the use of the grape in a Chablis which hasn't been anywhere near oak. Lively acidity and mineral tang. Its not a wine club, but I have subscribed to the Garagiste email letter for many years. He often has 1er cru chablis at very friendly prices. Over the years we have bought many cases in the mid to high 20s which I consider a steal for a 1er cru. Biggest problem is their shipping policy. They only ship twice a year based on climate conditions. So I keep tapping on the buy button not checking how much I've already purchased. Last fall I had 13 cases show up. My dear wife though I had lost my mind.

When I first saw 25 BPS, i had to think for a bit. BPS in my world means 25 basis points which is very little. 25 quid on the other hand is a major ouch. Reminds me of when I worked there in the noughties and how all the prices on the menus looked right to me except is was nearly 2 bucks to a pound.