House wine (vin maison)

PeterLynn

Senior Insider
Been listening to podcasts to refresh my French and an episode took place in a restaurant where they ordered "Vin maison...." Made me wonder, do any of the island restaurants offer a house wine? Can't say I've noticed it nor paid attention to it if they did. If any of them do, any of note?

A bartender friend of mine once told me that those requesting the "house red" are basically saying I don't want to ask for your cheapest wine but I'll have your cheapest wine.

It's sort of a bygone thing, no?

Not bygone. My wife drank white and I red and we always had a glass of house wine. I don’t recall it being bad. They always had a choice or two.

We have not see ‘house wine’ listed on a menu there. We have had guests who have asked for it on occasion. The response has been to serve them a glass without saying ‘we don’t have a house wine.’

Been listening to podcasts to refresh my French and an episode took place in a restaurant where they ordered "Vin maison...." Made me wonder, do any of the island restaurants offer a house wine? Can't say I've noticed it nor paid attention to it if they did. If any of them do, any of note?

I would defer to our native French speakers, but "vin maison" sounds more like "homemade or housemade wine" to me rather than "house wine".
I might expect to hear something like "vin en pichet" or "vin au verre".
What say our native or bilingual speakers?

I would defer to our native French speakers, but "vin maison" sounds more like "homemade or housemade wine" to me rather than "house wine".
I might expect to hear something like "vin en pichet" or "vin au verre".
What say our native or bilingual speakers?

I'd go with house wine... which you could certainly order as un pichet (ou carafe?) de vin... or vin au verre.. have never looked to see if places here have a house red or house white...

Cass, that I do not remember.

But I can still name Hideaway's outstanding front of the house crew!

My "two cents" . . . I make an effort to engage someone -- the waiter or, if possible, a proprietor -- to say, "I know that you probably have 'vin ordinaire' that you serve by the glass . . . but maybe there's something better that I can get?" In many cases, there will be a glass offered from a bottle or two of exceptional open-wine that is sitting behind the bar. A little extra effort, asked with a smile and needy voice, often yields a glass of vintage pleasure!

My bride is a big fan of the Chardonnay grape, finished in a buttery style. More than a few years ago she joined me on a business trip to London. She fell in love with the hotel bar’s house pour. Turns out it was Chassangne Montrachet at 25 BPS a glass :eek:

My bride is a big fan of the Chardonnay grape, finished in a buttery style. More than a few years ago she joined me on a business trip to London. She fell in love with the hotel bar’s house pour. Turns out it was Chassangne Montrachet at 25 BPS a glass :eek:

Your description has me tasting a Far Niente Chardonnay in my mind. :thinking1: :up:

Your description has me tasting a Far Niente Chardonnay in my mind. :thinking1: :up:
One of my favorite wineries. We were wine club members for a couple of years. More a fan of their reds but their whites are pretty good too

One of my favorite wineries. We were wine club members for a couple of years. More a fan of their reds but their whites are pretty good too

I don't drink many Cabs, but there is usually a bottle of the Far Niente Chard in my wine fridge. A restaurant which I frequented, probably more than I should have, had the Chard mispriced on their menu - only about twice the retail cost, LOL.

The label is, I think, the most beautiful that I have ever seen.

But, getting back to the original post, Far Niente is not a house wine in anybody's world.