Dreaming and planning

but not at l’isola

I like the food at L'Isola. But one thing I really don't like about it is how they take advantage of Americans by telling you that a tip is not included in the bill and asking how much you want added. On top of the premium tariff they charge. I'm guessing you probably don't get that treatment as your francais is better than mine.

I like the food at L'Isola. But one thing I really don't like about it is how they take advantage of Americans by telling you that a tip is not included in the bill and asking how much you want added. On top of the premium tariff they charge. I'm guessing you probably don't get that treatment as your francais is better than mine.

Well, the tip isn’t included just service. I normally leave !0% in cash. I’ve never had them try that trick with me. Or with Phil :cool:

It’s the one place I speak English. Seems silly speaking French to an Italian.
We always eat at the bar. Never encountered that tip thing. Agree, if asked, tip is zero €
5-10% en espèce is our usual for good experience.

Seems silly speaking French to an Italian.
Though a number of years ago we stayed in an albergo in Alto Piemonte. The innkeeper spoke Italian to the Italians, German to the Swiss, French to the French, Piedmontese to the Piedmontese, and English to me.
i invariably spoke to him in French.
un drôle de conversation.

Thank you all! This has been so helpful. A couple more questions - favorite beaches to go to? I went to St. Barths when I was in high school with my family and I remember the hike to Columbier and frequenting Gouverneur quite a bit.

We are staying in Lurin - are there any yummy places nearby to grab croissants, etc?

Thank you!

If you are in Lurin, then Santa Fe is right there. Amy and Phil can provide more info if they weigh in. The beach at Gouverneur is great and close by. Saline is not too far. For croissants drive down the hill into Gustavia and go to Choisy among other choices.

Though a number of years ago we stayed in an albergo in Alto Piemonte. The innkeeper spoke Italian to the Italians, German to the Swiss, French to the French, Piedmontese to the Piedmontese, and English to me.
i invariably spoke to him in French.
un drôle de conversation.

So this reminds me of another boring story. Short version. When I was in grad school, my girlfriend at the time and I went one winter to Kitzbuhel. She spoke very good German. So the innkeeper gets a call from someone in Italy. The innkeeper unlike your's doesn't speak Italian or English. So he gets my girlfriend on the phone. She translates as the caller from Italy is trying to make a reservation. At the end of the call, the Italian compliments her on her English. She says thanks but I am an American. So then he says then well I really have to compliment your German. We all had a chuckle.

Thank you all! This has been so helpful. A couple more questions - favorite beaches to go to? I went to St. Barths when I was in high school with my family and I remember the hike to Columbier and frequenting Gouverneur quite a bit.

We are staying in Lurin - are there any yummy places nearby to grab croissants, etc?

Thank you!

As mentioned, Sante Fe will be your local restaurant. Just keep in mind that they close June 28. There are no bakeries up here, but Maison de Plant does sell croissants, breads, and a few pastries that they source from either Petit Colombe or Choisy, both located in Lorient. It's about a 10 minute drive from here. There is also Carimbole in Gustavia. Gouveneur is the closest beach.

We love it here. It's quiet, but close enough to everywhere that you might want to go

Phil

The hike to Colombier is our favorite. Also, the obvious Saline and Gouverneur. We always team one up with lunch at Sante Fe and sometimes one before and one after. Also we like to have lunch and rent chairs at Pearl Beach. St Jean is a little less isolated and natural and quiet than some seem to prefer, but it's good to switch things up a little too. IMO it's the best beach on the island for both swimming and walking. When you throw in having a bathroom, the planes flying overhead and places to eat nearby it's a must do for us.